Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

He will play almost immediatley and seems like more people dislike this trade rather than applauded so far. Which I think will change after Clendening gets 10-15 games under his belt.

Only because Gus put up pp points and the wjc a month ago. He's got shine on him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he never plays an NHL game.

I think JB just moved this kid at his peak value.

He's frail, an average skater and isn't a great defender. He has an incredible ability to get his shots through but he has a long way to go to even get to clendenings ability.

Forsling wasn't a future pp QB either. He was the trigger man like an edler or McCabe.

I like the move a lot. The 2nd best move by benning so far IMO.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
What Forsling has done this season in the SHL is much more important with regards to his value than his performance at the WJCs. If you don't understand that then I really don't know what to say.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Interesting gamble.

I still think the jury is out on the Garrison for Vey trade.

This trade will take a lot longer to see who wins.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like that we targeted a RHS skill defender.

The question will be how good Clendening actually is. Few of us have seen him play, so people calling this a 'great trade' are just guessing.

His season last year gives reason for optimism. His season this year is a major concern. He's undersized and doesn't have a terrific defensive reputation.

If he can step in here and play #5 type minutes by next season and help the PP and contribute offensively, will be a win. If we just traded a WJC All-Star for another Yannick Weber, this has the potential to look awful.

Don't like giving up Forsling. If you did a 2014 re-draft right now he'd be a 2nd rounder. This is a steep price for a guy approaching waiver eligibility.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What Forsling has done this season in the SHL is much more important with regards to his value than his performance at the WJCs. If you don't understand that then I really don't know what to say.

Exactly. The guy is playing significant minutes and holding his own against men at age 18. He's an outstanding prospect and the way he's being pooh-poohed here now that he's been moved is really silly and naive.

I had him as our best defensive prospect right now.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Exactly. The guy is playing significant minutes and holding his own against men at age 18. He's an outstanding prospect and the way he's being pooh-poohed here now that he's been moved is really silly and naive.

After roaming this board for so long, you should be hardly surprised at that.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

The question will be how good Clendening actually is. Few of us have seen him play, so people calling this a 'great trade' are just guessing.

His season last year gives reason for optimism. His season this year is a major concern. He's undersized and doesn't have a terrific defensive reputation.

If he can step in here and play #5 type minutes by next season and help the PP and contribute offensively, will be a win. If we just traded a WJC All-Star for another Yannick Weber, this has the potential to look awful.

Don't like giving up Forsling. If you did a 2014 re-draft right now he'd be a 2nd rounder. This is a steep price for a guy approaching waiver eligibility.

Thing to remember, Clendening also had an outstanding WJC when he played.

PRNuck

May 20, 2009
Calgary
I wonder what this means for the right side going forward. There isn't going to be room for all of Tanev, Bieksa, Clendening, and Corrado.

I'm pretty comfortable assuming that, as Canucks, they will never all be healthy at the same time.

I've been watercooling the same thing this morning. My guess is they'll move Bieksa if they can.

Corrado has played the left side in the past, has he not? That might be something that's looked at. Tanev/Corrado/Clendening isn't a bad looking young right side going forward though (potentially).

Yeah he played left side with Dougie Hamilton at the WJC camp where he earned a spot :rant:

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

I'd say this is the consensus from every one on this trade since it happened. Like the idea of bringing in Clendening, scared as hell of giving up Forsling to do it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

To be fair,
He's a fifth round pick whose stock has undoubtedly risen as a result of an excellent WJC.
I think some are overrating how much he has risen since the draft.
Which is partly why I like the trade for both teams. Chicago gets a guy with some very good but still raw potential. Vancouver cashes in on a great WJC and good start to an SEL career to get a guy they can use right now.
Classic win/win trade.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
To be honest, he doesn't have a lot of competition. I'd still have him behind Corrado anyways. And is just as much a wild card and an unknown as Trymakin

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
And is just as much a wild card and an unknown as Trymakin

Forsling is doing better in the SHL than Tryamkin is in the KHL while being two years younger. I think any hype for Forsling should be based on his SHL play more than the WJC. He's having an outstanding draft + 1 year. Tryamkin should be pretty low on our D depth chart, behind Corrado, Hutton, McNally and Subban.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah, Forsling still may have been somewhat of a longshot to be a quality player, as of right now he's a much better prospect than Tryamkin.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

This is fair, but Clendening is the same height as Forsling (and has 20 pounds on him at the moment). It's not like they traded a guy with more size potential, right? They basically traded a younger version of Clendening from what I've seen -- which is limited.

It might be instructive for people to invert this trade, I think. Imagine if the Canucks traded away a D that put up 60 points in the AHL as a 21 year old because he was going to be waiver eligible soon. People would be at Benning's door with pitchforks right now. Hell, they'd freak out if we traded a forward prospect that did that. You know, if we even had one...

Forsling is terrific though. I agree there's no need to run down his accomplishments in order to make the trade look better. Benning paid good value, but having Subban to potentially make the roster in two or three years probably softens that blow. I'd say Subban and Forsling have similar odds of becoming NHL regulars.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I wonder what this means for the right side going forward. There isn't going to be room for all of Tanev, Bieksa, Clendening, and Corrado.

Bieksa has one more year left... does Corrado have to clear waivers next year? Keeping all four makes sense if you can move Corrado back and forth next season.

Time to sell high on Weber at the very least. He has some production and decent possession stats this season and is cheap enough to fit on almost any team. 3rd?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is fair, but Clendening is the same heigh as Forsling (and has 20 pounds on him at the moment). It's not like they traded a guy with more size potential, right? They basically traded a younger version of Clendening from what I've seen -- which is limited.

It might be instructive for people to invert this trade, I think. Imagine if the Canucks traded away a D that put up 60 points in the AHL as a 21 year old because he was going to be waiver eligible soon. People would be at Benning's door with pitchforks right now. Hell, they'd freak out if we traded a forward prospect that did that. You know, if we even had one...

Forsling is terrific though. I agree there's no need to run down his accomplishments in order to make the trade look better. Benning paid good value, but having Subban to potentially make the roster in two or three years probably softens that blow. I'd say Subban and Forsling have similar odds of becoming NHL regulars.

Solid point.
When was the last time we even had a forward put up those points in the AHL at age 21?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
This is fair, but Clendening is the same heigh as Forsling (and has 20 pounds on him at the moment). It's not like they traded a guy with more size potential, right? They basically traded a younger version of Clendening from what I've seen -- which is limited.

I think Forsling is a clearly superior prospect to Subban right now. I also think Forsling is further along than Clendening was at his age. Progression of course isn't linear so there's no way to say that Forsling will progress as much as Clendening has (even though it has mostly been on the offensive side, IMO).

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think Forsling is a clearly superior prospect to Subban right now. I also think Forsling is further along than Clendening was at his age. Progression of course isn't linear so there's no way to say that Forsling will progress as much as Clendening has (even though it has only been on the offensive side, IMO).

Out of curiosty, what is your criteria for comparing a USNTDP/NCAA 18 year old, to a SHL 18 year old, to an OHL 18 year old in regards to who is "further ahead"? I'd be curious to know. They've all taken such vastly different roads that these are very hard claims to make.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Out of curiosty, what is your criteria for comparing a USNTDP/NCAA 18 year old, to a SHL 18 year old, to an OHL 18 year old in regards to who is "further ahead"? I'd be curious to know. They've all taken such vastly different roads that these are very hard claims to make.

Just based on their play relative to their peers and what's expected of top prospects of that age category.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think Forsling is a clearly superior prospect to Subban right now. I also think Forsling is further along than Clendening was at his age. Progression of course isn't linear so there's no way to say that Forsling will progress as much as Clendening has (even though it has mostly been on the offensive side, IMO).

We'll disagree on Forsling/Subban. I think Subban's plus skating/OHL production probably puts him at about 40-50% odds of becoming an NHLer. I'd be hard pressed to put Forsling much higher than that. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Forsling, but I'm still pretty high on Subban, whom I expect to be short but built like a tank by the time he's pushing for an NHL spot.

I definitely agree about Forsling draft + 1 vs Clendening at the same age, but people can't sell Clendening's offensive progression short. His production was notably impressive in his first two seasons. Last year he led his entire AHL club in scoring as a defenseman. I haven't seen him very much, so I'm deferring to everyone else on his defensive struggles. I thought Pronman's take on the trade was fair: "Vancouver got a slightly better player but has to play now".

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I've been watercooling the same thing this morning. My guess is they'll move Bieksa if they can.

Corrado has played the left side in the past, has he not? That might be something that's looked at. Tanev/Corrado/Clendening isn't a bad looking young right side going forward though (potentially).

They could run with 4 RHDs for a time. Until both Corrado and Clendenning get more acclimated. Showing what they are. Then, they could start rotating out Bieksa.

Basically, a slow transition for the right side. Don't think one needs to move.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Gotta wonder if Clendenning's numbers would have looked so good on that Utica team that had such a tough time scoring.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Jumping in after reading 7 pages...

If we're concerned about Clendening's point totals this year, how do we feel about Corrado's then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad