Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
How was Clendening offensively/defensively four years ago? (not this isn't a snide remark but just a question from somebody who knows little about either player).

For a player at 18 he had obvious talent offensively. His hockey IQ was very good. I'm trying to think of a player to compare him too. Forsling is effective offensively because of his shot which helps him in that aspect on the PP.

Clendening is more of a playmaking offensive defender. He can make some really good passes and is much better than Forsling at moving the puck up the ice. He's not a great skater, but he's not terrible either. He doesn't have a great shot, but has one that he does a good job at getting on the net.

He's not going to blow past people as he transitions into offense, but he's going to be able to quickly start from his own end with a great pass to a player already moving up the ice to help catch the other team out of position.

Defensively, even at 18, he was better than Forsling is now. Not terrific, and something that still needs work. He's not going to be the worst defender on the team, but he may very well already be the best offensive defensman on the team.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Just based on their play relative to their peers and what's expected of top prospects of that age category.

Interesting. The only freshman defenceman that out-scored Clendening in his first year in the NCAA was Justin Faulk. Among his peers, he was fairly elite at 18. Very hard to compare that to what Forsling is doing on the other side of the world, but I would have to say that playing a regular shift in the SHL at 18 is likely more impressive. As long as you don't buy in to the demise of the SHL as much as some do I guess.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Him and stanton played together, in rockford.

i see this as big time shove to sbisa weber

edler tanev
hamhuis corrado
stanton glendening

Any of Stanton, Sbisa or Weber could be in or out. Though considering Clendening's style, Weber is the most expendable.

Hoping he plays tonight.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not an offensive defenseman.

Interesting comment. Last season he was the #1 puck rushing D-man and the main point gunner on the PP for the Comets. This season he would have been considered #2 with Sanguinetti as #1 and both played the points on the PP.

The Comets started the season with a puck rusher and defensive D-man in each pairing. Sanguinetti - #1, Corrado - #2, and Biega - #3.

By all models, Frankie has been developed as an offensive D-man. Not being there yet on the big club doesn't discount the future plans for him.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Interesting comment. Last season he was the #1 puck rushing D-man and the man point gunner on the PP for the Comets. This season he would have been considered #2 with Sanguinetti as #1 and both played the points on the PP.

The Comets started the season with a puck rusher and Defensive d-man in each pairing. Sanguinetti- #1, Corrado - #2, and Biega - #3.

By all models, Frankie has been developed as an offensive D-man. Not being there yet on the big club doesn't discount the future plans for him.

It's not his defining characteristic like it is with Clendening though. If Corrado tops out as a 15-20 point NHLer he could still conceivably be a top 4 defenseman because he's good in other areas. With Clendening though, if he doesn't put up offense at the NHL level he's probably just going to be a bottom pairing or spare guy.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
It should be Sbisa, but it won't.

Hopefully we don't sabotage Clendening immediately by putting him with Sbisa.

I think you'll see him with Stanton just because of having played with stanton in Rockford and to ease him in.... I could also see him with Hamhuis for that calming presence Hamhuis can help bring and to help cover for a young defensemans mistakes.

Would be surprised if it was anyone else

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Guys about to be ballin' in the NHL of course he's pumped. Opportunity means everything to a player his age.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
And isn't this typical.... someone who thinks that you need to post about a team in order to be an expert or have actually seen them play.

Many of us have better things to do than sit on forums all day typing up messages. Not surprising though... just another person who thinks that the 'experts' have to have 20k+ posts in order to know what they're talking about.... when more often than not, those same people are proven wrong time and time again.

I'm not sure why people who like to preach that they've "Watched 10 games over the last three years" want to completely over-exaggerate one side of his play.

But here we are, on a forum !

Credibility when you don't get to watch AHL games is huge.. Watching 10 games of the player versus not having watched him at all and just regurgitating other people's opinions ?

Where have you seen this guy and/or where you derive your analysis from ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad