Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kinda surprised the Hawks would give up a good prospect to a team in their own conference.....obviously they liked what they saw of Forsling at the WJC, and as was the case with Vey and the Kings, had no room for Clendening and would have had to expose him to waivers next year...my only complaint, is why we didn't draft someone like Clendening in the second round of 2011 ourselves....oops almost forgot, we traded out second rounder in 2011.:shakehead

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
not surprised how overrated Forsling has become by some in this fanbase given how people were projecting Schroeder to score 90-100 points at one time. It's pretty obvious to me watching Forsling that he will struggle to adapt to North America and is just plays way too weak/soft. I've felt this way even before he was traded. I will be surprised if he succeeds in the AHL, let alone play a game in the NHL. Clendening has already done both, so in my opinion it's already an improvement even if Clendening flops as a canuck.

100% agreed.

I like Forsling as a prospect. But, Forsling's best case scenario is what we have in Clendenning right now. I mean this guy scored 59 points in the AHL. Hey, maybe Forsling becomes the next best defenseman in the league. But, that is extremely unlikely. We took advantage of Chicago's logjam and we managed to get a pretty damn good deal.

Some people just love criticizing Benning :shakehead

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
100% agreed.

I like Forsling as a prospect. But, Forsling's best case scenario is what we have in Clendenning right now. I mean this guy scored 59 points in the AHL. Hey, maybe Forsling becomes the next best defenseman in the league. But, that is extremely unlikely. We took advantage of Chicago's logjam and we managed to get a pretty damn good deal.

Some people just love criticizing Benning :shakehead

Agree 100%. I mean I tend to overrate our prospects as much as the next canucks fan but when I saw this trade this morning I knew immediately that Benning had pulled off a steal.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
More on Clendening from HF:
"Adam Clendening, D, 22

When Trevor van Riemsdyk went down with his leg injury, general manager Stan Bowman kept with the trend of giving young defensemen a look. This meant the offensively-gifted Clendening, who was recalled November 18th, would get his shot, and he didn’t disappoint. His first NHL game against the Calgary Flames on November 2nd also saw the 22-year-old score his first NHL goal, a power play goal in just his second shift of the game.

The former Boston University Terrier showed confidence and effectiveness at both ends of the ice, but his stint with the Blackhawks would be short-lived. Clendening was sent back down to the IceHogs on December 4th. Earning two points (a goal and an assist) in his four games with the ‘Hawks, Clendening looked like a shoe-in for a permanent roster spot next season."

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Everybody needs to take a step back and realize that the Canucks could have come out of this trade with both Forsling and Clendening. They didn't. It's stupid. They're pissing away promising prospects.

I don't think it even matters if Clendening becomes the next Wisniewski/MA Bergeron, and Forsling peters out. Slowly chipping away at our assets is extremely worrisome.

Future considerations?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The main issue is if Clendening can't crack out lineup and is in a battle for it next season. Given his deficiencies it may be a real possibility. He has to establish himself very quickly or else the waiver issue becomes significant.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
oh no, they traded a promising prospect for an established prospect!

:laugh:

What the hell is an established prospect?

Care to explain.

Not that acquiring a 22 yo defenceman is pissing away promising prospects...

Clendening is waiver eligible next year. There's no room on the Hawks for him. When you're negotiating with Bowman in this case, you're in a position of power. Here's where that Pedan trade is stupid - they gave away a 3rd round pick, which could have easily been used in this deal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Trade comes down to their scouts versus ours.....can't believe the Hawks couldn't have flipped Clendening for at least a second-rounder from some other team....obviously they wanted Forsling after scouting him at the WJC and in Sweden...keep in the mind the guy is only 18 and playing regularly against grown men in the SHL...will be very interesting to monitor how both these guys pan out in the future...but imo teams like the Hawks rarely give up blue-chippers in trades.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

Clendening is waiver eligible next year. There's no room on the Hawks for him. When you're negotiating with Bowman in this case, you're in a position of power. Here's where that Pedan trade is stupid - they gave away a 3rd round pick, which could have easily been used in this deal.

Just because stan has to do something, doesn't mean he has to do it with you.....

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com

How do you know that Chicago would have taken a third round pick for Clendening..

I'm pretty sure their were more teams interested in Clendening then just Vancouver.

This was a good trade for both teams..

Vancouver got what they have needed for a long time and that is a offensive right handed D-men, Which are hard to find.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas

wow, this is where your username apparently comes into play.

cuz you're the only one who knew bieksa was gonna be injured and out for 2 months during the playoff push.

you're also failing to consider maybe the canucks had to ante up against other teams.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I will defer to Benning on this one as Clendening played at Boston University and I am sure Benning has been following his career for some time.

This deal makes sense for both teams. The Canucks need more depth this season and Clendening is essentially just going to take Weber's spot next season when Celendening becomes waiver eligible. I think the Blackhawks actually get a defensemen with more ultimate upside as I think Forsling is better defensively at this point than Clendening was at the same age and Forsling has the bigger shot. But Forsling is the longer shot to play in the NHL and there's no way to tell whether Forsling will end up improving his physical game as I have read at least one draft report that said Forsling appeared shy and timid when it came to physical play.

Not a deal I am particularly excited about but Clendening fills a hole and he does have upside.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

How do you know that Chicago would have taken a third round pick for Clendening..

I'm pretty sure their were more teams interested in Clendening then just Vancouver.

This was a good trade for both teams..

Vancouver got what they have needed for a long time and that is a offensive right handed D-men, Which are hard to find.

I've played Be A GM mode in NHL13 for a few years now, and if I learned anything its that if they don't take a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft, they likely will take it for a draft that is 5 years away.

Fire Benning.

:sarcasm:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

They essentially traded a 5th round pick for Clendening. Chicago also targeted Forsling because he's a LHD, you have no knowledge of what Chicago would have accepted so why complain about it?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I will defer to Benning on this one as Clendening played at Boston University and I am sure Benning has been following his career for some time.

This deal makes sense for both teams. The Canucks need more depth this season and Clendening is essentially just going to take Weber's spot next season when Celendening becomes waiver eligible. I think the Blackhawks actually get a defensemen with more ultimate upside as I think Forsling is better defensively at this point than Clendening was at the same age and Forsling has the bigger shot. But Forsling is the longer shot to play in the NHL and there's no way to tell whether Forsling will end up improving his physical game as I have read at least one draft report that said Forsling appeared shy and timid when it came to physical play.

Not a deal I am particularly excited about but Clendening fills a hole and he does have upside.

Even better if he trades Weber for a pick in the upcoming draft to help replace Forsling as a future piece.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They essentially traded a 5th round pick for Clendening. Chicago also targeted Forsling because he's a LHD, you have no knowledge of what Chicago would have accepted so why complain about it?

That is not true at all. Player values change dramatically after being drafted.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Problem with that is the Hawks seem to have been specifically looking at Forsling

They have seen him extensively as he is Dahlstrom's partner (Hawks 2nd rounder in 2013)

If Hawks wouldn't have gotten Forsling they probably would have dangled Clendening around league for other prospects they like

There were 28 other options to trade with involving Clendening so that takes away a lot of your perceived position of power

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Custance likes the trade LT for Chicago:

The Blackhawks sent defenseman Adam Clendening to the Vancouver Canucks for 18-year-old defenseman prospect Gustav Forsling.

Clendening was a player the Blackhawks liked. He produced points in the AHL. He’s a right-shot defenseman, no small consideration in today’s NHL. He makes a nice first pass, he’s a guy who will contribute to the Canucks fairly soon in the NHL. Let’s not forget, Vancouver GM Jim Benning is well-versed in the skill sets of the prospects around the league. That’s what he was brought in for.

But the collection of young talent Bowman has been building under the keen eye of chief scout Mark Kelley sometimes forces the Blackhawks' hand. Rather than lose these guys for nothing if they can’t force their way onto the NHL roster, a deal like this allows the Blackhawks to reset a bit and bring in a young prospect with a high ceiling like Forsling.

Bowman doesn’t often make big trades, but he often makes trades we look back on later and appreciate their wisdom with the benefit of time.

“I would prefer to do it the way we’ve been doing it and continuing doing this as incremental improvements,†Bowman said when we chatted Wednesday. “Subtle trades. They may not be guys who get attention now but when you look back you like it.â€

At this point in their careers, the two teams have a better idea of what Clendening is going to be at the NHL level. He’s likely to help the Canucks much sooner than Forsling ever helps the Blackhawks. But don’t be surprised if there’s a day way off in the future where this one looks like a win for Chicago.

Compares it to the McNabb deal:

The Forsling/Clendening swap is very reminiscent of the deal made last March between the Los Angeles Kings and Buffalo Sabres in which the Kings received defenseman Brayden McNabb and a second-round pick for Nicolas Deslauriers and Hudson Fasching. McNabb has been invaluable to the Kings this season, although he’s probably playing too much in light of the Slava Voynov situation. But ultimately, the best player may end up being Fasching, who was one of the few bright spots for Team USA in the last World Junior Championships. These are subtle, smart deals for all involved.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
How do you even know the Hawks would have wanted a 3rd round pick?

Instead of Forsling (18) and a 2015 3rd pick (17) we have Clendenning (22) and Pedan (21).

Considering Corrado is the only defenceman in the entire system under 25 that looks like he can make the NHL in the next year or 2, adding these 2 guys is huge. It's better than in 5 years hoping 22 and 23 year olds will have an impact, we have a chance to develop guys that are already close to NHL ready (if not NHL ready) so that in 5 years they are just hitting their prime.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Problem with that is the Hawks seem to have been specifically looking at Forsling

They have seen him extensively as he is Dahlstrom's partner (Hawks 2nd rounder in 2013)

If Hawks wouldn't have gotten Forsling they probably would have dangled Clendening around league for other prospects they like

There were 28 other options to trade with involving Clendening so that takes away a lot of your perceived position of power

And 28 other teams would be 1) smart enough to keep their prospects that were at the level of Forsling and 2) have negotiating power over Chicago. Every team has power over them because they're moving an asset that they would likely lose next year if they kept him.

When Jamie Benn gets traded for Jordan Schroeder, it's great, because it's a 5th round pick for a 1st round pick.

Again, Chicago's in a position where they should deal Clendening. He's waiver eligible next year. He's on the outside looking in to make the team next year. Press them on the issue.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
How do you even know the Hawks would have wanted a 3rd round pick?

Instead of Forsling (18) and a 2015 3rd pick (17) we have Clendenning (22) and Pedan (21).

Considering Corrado is the only defenceman in the entire system under 25 that looks like he can make the NHL in the next year or 2, adding these 2 guys is huge. It's better than in 5 years hoping 22 and 23 year olds will have an impact, we have a chance to develop guys that are already close to NHL ready (if not NHL ready) so that in 5 years they are just hitting their prime.

Never did I say it would have been Clendening for a 3rd round pick. The point is that the 3rd round pick is something of value that could have been added to the trade to avoid trading one of our better prospects.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Never did I say it would have been Clendening for a 3rd round pick. The point is that the 3rd round pick is something of value that could have been added to the trade to avoid trading one of our better prospects.

I'll restate; How do you know the Hawks even wanted a 3rd round pick?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

I think we're running short on 3rd round picks, unless you are talking our 2017 3rd round pick :laugh:

Besides, as that Chicago fan stated above, if Forsling is indeed a teammate of one of Chicago's top 60 picks then it follows that they've probably heavily scouted Forsling. This was a targeted acquisition by Chicago, which is kind of scary when you think of how good their scouting has been.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

How do you know there are other realistic prospects on the Canucks that they would have accepted with a 3rd added in?

Maybe if they don't get Forsling, it goes to a prospect on another team rather than talking to the Canucks any further?

Canucks got good value, and Clendening should crack the lineup next year.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Again, Chicago's in a position where they should deal Clendening. He's waiver eligible next year. He's on the outside looking in to make the team next year. Press them on the issue.
How do you know Benning didn't? Maybe Bowman was pushing for Shinkaruk or McCann?

You are making a whole lot of assumptions that Benning didn't do his due diligence and just jumped at the first offer made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad