Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I feel this is the type of trade Benning needs to do more of. There is an obvious lack of talent in the pool of 21-23 year olds. First Vey and now AC. Gillis and co. didn't exactly do a good job pre-2012 draft.

Andrey Pedan as well.
Seems to be his MO

94eleven

fka Loosemonkeys
Dec 29, 2007
Denver, Colorado
In talking with a buddy of mine who lives in Chicago and is a Hawks season ticket holder, he was pretty dissapointed in them trading Clendening because he and a lot of fans wanted Clendening playing on the 3rd pairing this season and on the 2nd PP unit. Seems like he impressed every time he was up (including pre-season). Apparently most Chicago fans expect Pokke (acquired in the Leddy trade) to be on the roster next season and he seemingly jumped Clendening on the depth chart. Since Seabrook and Hjalmarsson aren't going anywhere Clendening essentially had little to no shot at not being exposed on waivers next season.

It's a reset of the prospect clock for Chicago. Everything I've seen looks like they thing Forsling has NHL upside, just like Clendening does, but given their depth chart prospect-wise on the left side, this was a good fit. Both teams gave up assets they liked and the other team was interested in, I don't know why this can't be a win-win situation for both teams. Both filled needs.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Has Forsling played fantastically in the SHL???
Isn't he a 5th d-man who has had his ice time cut significantly?

Yes he has.

Forsling had top 4 minutes prior to Matthias Backman returning to Linkopings after a failed stint with Grand Rapids. Which isn't to say anything about Forsling, because Backman has put up 11 points in 13 games since joining the team. But Forsling is doing that at age 18.

You're getting your ass handed to you in this thread, and rightfully so, so I'm not going to bother responding to your points. I couldn't let this gem pass without comment however - you seem to be interpreting this quote ass backwards. Not sure if you've ever negotiated anything in your life, whether a business deal or even a Moroccan carpet, but being an easy person to negotiate with means the Canucks will complete more deals, and better deals, than someone who is a difficult person to negotiate with. Those people fail to make any deals whatsoever.

I've actually responded well to each point (and have been responded to with many strawman arguments), but it's good to know that you think making trades is always the right thing to do.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
Your point doesn't really change mine...? I take issue with the last sentence - someone's ability to be a negotiator is not binary. You don't just have easy and difficult negotiators. Of course, I don't want someone who's easy, and I don't want someone who's difficult either. Benning is so easy that a GM had to point that out. I don't like it, and neither should anybody else.

Putting aside the fact that you're twisting this quote into absolute oblivion to fit this bizarre agenda, do you honestly believe another GM would come out and openly insult another GM in this manner? Get real.

You're certainly welcome to question his transactions but this ridiculous.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Look, I don't have a problem with the value of the trade. On paper it's probably fair. But you don't hate the optics of it at all? We're a team that should be hording prospects, especially 18 year old ones who have played fantastically in the SHL.
Maybe. In my opinion, we're a team who should be trying to fill key spots with youth and skill that can grow with our existing prospects and learn from our core before they retire.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Putting aside the fact that you're twisting this quote into absolute oblivion to fit this bizarre agenda, do you honestly believe another GM would come out and openly insult another GM in this manner? Get real.

You're certainly welcome to question his transactions but this ridiculous.

Gillis openly insulted Nonis when he was first hired. Also, the GM was anonymous. It's also not really an insult, more of an observation of how the man works. I don't like it, I guess others do? Kind of odd.

I would tell you to reread most of your posts, but that would be telling you what to do. So I won't. You are the perfect example of trying way too hard. Your negotiating example was the cherry. Popped.

More wonderful discourse from you. You're obviously not willing to discuss anything, so why bother making a fuss?

Maybe. In my opinion, we're a team who should be trying to fill key spots with youth and skill that can grow with our existing prospects and learn from our core before they retire.

I agree with that.

Look, it would be ludicrous for me to hate the fact that we acquired an obviously talented young player. I simply don't like that an 18 year old prospect playing in a top European league was dealt away for it. Especially because players who get bumped down the depth chart aren't worth very much, especially if they're waiver eligible the next year.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I agree with that.

Look, it would be ludicrous for me to hate the fact that we acquired an obviously talented young player. I simply don't like that an 18 year old prospect playing in a top European league was dealt away for it. Especially because players who get bumped down the depth chart aren't worth very much, especially if they're waiver eligible the next year.
Alright, with that in mind, what/who do you propose we should've acquired Clendening with?

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Seems like a reasonable trade to me... Not a steal in either direction.

Pronman mentioned that Clendening and Forsling are similar players, with Clendening being a slightly better player (I assume based on future projections). However, Clendening needs to play soon.

If Forsling has a typical trajectory he probably ends up as a slightly inferior version of Clendening. However, there's both more upside and downside with him, and of course there's a risk that he continues his strong trajectory over the past year and ends up as a better player.

Of course, it was Forsling's performance this year (along with Chicago's acquisition of Pokka) that made the deal viable. In July 2014, we never would have been able to get Clendening for Forsling.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
Yes he has.

Forsling had top 4 minutes prior to Matthias Backman returning to Linkopings after a failed stint with Grand Rapids. Which isn't to say anything about Forsling, because Backman has put up 11 points in 13 games since joining the team. But Forsling is doing that at age 18.

It's really hard to say if Forsling can play the NHL game.. He is a smaller type player that is use to the Swedish league where they don't hit as much and play in a larger rink.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I think people are discounting how impressive Clendening's track record is:
- 5 pts in 6 GP in his first and only WJC
- 33 pts in 38 GP at Boston U
- 46 pts in 73 GP in his rookie AHL season
- 59 pts in 74 GP in his sophmore AHL season, lead the team in scoring.

......and 13 points in 39 games this year. But let's just ignore that.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
......and 13 points in 39 games this year. But let's just ignore that.

On the first page of the thread someone implicates that the trade for TJ Brennan is the culprit. It seems to have bumped Clendening down the PP depth chart and he's suffered a dip in his production as a result.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
On the first page of the thread someone implicates that the trade for TJ Brennan is the culprit. It seems to have bumped Clendening down the PP depth chart and he's suffered a dip in his production as a result.

That's fine, but to not include it when posting his stats is just dishonest. I'm sure if he had 50 points it would have been mentioned.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Well one nice thing about this trade is that we will probably know if it was a win or not in the next year or so due to his waiver status. If he isn't at least a full fledged #6/7 dman on our club by the time he is waiver eligible then we lose. Of course Forsling could also turn out to be a stud even if we win but it could take 5 years before he gets a chance in the NHL and no one wants to wait that long to anoint us winners or losers.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
What round?

Good lord, I don't know. Linden Vey went for a 2nd round pick. Pirri went for a 3rd and a later pick. Dalpe got traded here for a 4th. Depends on how many picks the team has. What's the point of your question?

What happens in cases like these is players either get traded for picks or for another player around the same age that the other team lacks positionally or even stylistically. We don't really have anyone around 22 years old like that.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
I don't know if it's because we haven't had a decent prospect pool ever so fans fall in love with these guys but Forsling is just not a player to get so excited about. Like I said it would have been interesting to track his progress over the next few years but he likely isn't going to be a NHL player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't know if it's because we haven't had a decent prospect pool ever so fans fall in love with these guys but Forsling is just not a player to get so excited about. Like I said it would have been interesting to track his progress over the next few years but he likely isn't going to be a NHL player.

Agreed.
He was a fifth round pick a few months ago.
No doubt his stock has risen but he's still a bit of a long shot.
We managed to get a guy with the potential to play on our PP right away.
Solid deal.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I'm torn on this deal.

On one hand, Forsling is way behind on development (especially adjusting to the north american game) and Clendening is a much safer bet on a solid NHLer.

On the other, Forsling was lighting it up at the World Juniors and had something we desperately need, a power play quarterback on the point.

I guess time will tell.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Well he was the only promising pick of ours from that draft past the 3rd round so it shouldn't be that surprising that people are a bit ticked that he was jettisoned so soon. For the record I do like the trade but I can certainly see why others don't.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe Forsling won't be an NHL player, but before the WJC he was an 18 year old playing 20 minutes a game in the SHL. Although eliteprospects doesn't have a great sorting system, most 18 year old defensemen who have done that are quite promising.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Maybe Forsling won't be an NHL player, but before the WJC he was an 18 year old playing 20 minutes a game in the SHL. Although eliteprospects doesn't have a great sorting system, most 18 year old defensemen who have done that are quite promising.

I am almost 100% sure he didn't average 20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad