Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I think Weber has at least 5th rounder value - like Diaz last year. A contender at the TDL or sooner will look to add.

Jun 15, 2014
Or another way to look at it is that it's no wonder they haven't picked anyone worthwhile in the 2nd round given that they've traded away half of them over the last decade and a half.

Compare that to a team like Chicago who has had almost twice as many 2nd rounders as they started out with and unsurprisingly they've picked up Keith, Crawford, Bolland, and Saad from there. Chicago has had as many 2nd round picks since 2010 as Vancouver has had since 2002.

I have nothing to add, but I had to quote you just cause of how sad this made me. I knew it was bad, but not this bad.

m9

m9
Jan 23, 2010
We'll see, I guess. I think Benning probably holds onto him just because he was in the deal for Kesler.

I think it could come down to being 5 deep on the right side when everyone is healthy. Clendening is basically a younger, more talented version of Weber.

See ya, Weber.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Vey has been vastly improving all year, and is showing his promise. Patience is needed. It's his first NHL season too.

And this fanbase wants a full rebuild...oh boy.
It's not the impatience of development.

It's trying to stay afloat in an ocean.

I'd rather they sink or swim.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I have nothing to add, but I had to quote you just cause of how sad this made me. I knew it was bad, but not this bad.

Actually the Canucks didn't have 2nd rounders in '99, '00' and '01 so it's really since 1999.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
why do we not want player that is developed now? we don't want to wait 5 years for a rebuild to be good again. It just not happening

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's not the impatience of development.

It's trying to stay afloat in an ocean.

I'd rather they sink or swim.

You make it sound like they're trading boom or bust bluechippers away for safe picks. The odds of Forsling being serviceable let alone good enough to make this a regrettable deal are very very slim. And Clendening has lots of upside himself.

Jun 15, 2014
These are the kinds of players we need to target. Now let's go trade for Pulkkinen. He's barried because of Detroit's crazy forward depth and drafting.

I would like to start targeting guys at least 6'0 and up.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You make it sound like they're trading boom or bust bluechippers away for safe picks. The odds of Forsling being serviceable let alone good enough to make this a regrettable deal are very very slim. And Clendening has lots of upside himself.
They're trading away picks/players for what they perceive as safe picks. Essentially players that can be serviceable in the AHL and perhaps surprise at the NHL level.

While Clendening may prove to be a pretty good player going forward, he appears to have regressed this season and behind a decent amount of d men in the Hawks system.

I dont think they would have made a trade in the summer so it'll be interesting to see if he was just indeed a player trapped behind a deep defense (mind you Rundblad is on his 4th team i believe) or simply a guy the Hawks dumped because he's waiver eligible next season.

The majority opinion on him is that's he good in the offensive end and needs to get better in his own end.

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver
Forsling was very good offensively in WJC, but defensively he was very poor (much like the whole team).

I like this trade!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
They're trading away picks/players for what they perceive as safe picks. Essentially players that can be serviceable in the AHL and perhaps surprise at the NHL level.

While Clendening may prove to be a pretty good player going forward, he appears to have regressed this season and behind a decent amount of d men in the Hawks system.

I dont think they would have made a trade in the summer so it'll be interesting to see if he was just indeed a player trapped behind a deep defense (mind you Rundblad is on his 4th team i believe) or simply a guy the Hawks dumped because he's waiver eligible next season.

The majority opinion on him is that's he good in the offensive end and needs to get better in his own end.

I don't think we should write out a guy just because he had a bad start of the season. Remember Corrado? He was pretty bad in the AHL this season. Now he is playing pretty well in the NHL. Clendenning is pretty young too only 1 year older than Corrado

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver

I read this from PG Canuck on a possible explanation on his point total drop this season.

With the Canucks PP being so terrible lately, have to think this is a trade Benning made to try and fix it. Clendening is a good PPQB. This year in Rockford though, TJ Brennan was acquired and given the PPQB duties, therefore, probably why Clendening's numbers are down so low.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I like these hockey trades that Benning is making. We're basically making up for our horrible drafting from 2007-2011 by gaining players in this age range.

Exactly this.

Also, as many have said: buy low, sell high.

Absolutely love this deal.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It's really not though. Clendening has just as much upside if not more and is more proven. I mean, what is the upside of Forsling, really? There's very likely no chance he becomes a top pairing guy. And there's a good chance he never even makes the league. This is Chicago trying to get what they can for someone who they probably won't be able to spend the time to develop further. We keep talking about trading Lack because our goaltending timeline makes more sense to try with Markstrom behind Miller with the contract situation and age. Does that mean the team would be giving up on him because they see there's no potential in him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad