Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hockey's future analysis.

"Clendening is an offensive defenseman blessed with superb puck-moving ability and on-ice vision. His excellent puck skills are one reason why many scouts are so high on Clendening. He can see plays develop and follows them quite well. He can also be found frequently jumping into plays too. Clendening's ability to move the puck and patience with it makes him an ideal quarterback on the power play. He makes very good decisions with the puck and distributes the puck very well. Clendening can also control the tempo of the game from the blue line. He is an excellent skater with good speed that can keep up with many of the faster opposing forwards. He also transitions quite well too. One area where Clendening will need to improve is keeping his feet moving more consistently. While he is known for his offensive prowess, Clendening is also solid defensively. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game and plays with a good deal of intensity. However, Clendening could stand to utilize his intensity and grit more to the benefit of his team. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net by taking quality chances."

Personally I think Benning just wanted to get a young Dman that was what we are looking for a quarterback, puck moving Dman but sooner. So he moved Forsling in exchange. I think we will see Clendening coming up next season. He is a AHL player so we can freely move him or maybe Benning wants to see him play a bit.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Stanton - Clendening

Yep. Solid move. Canucks get a more proven/ready player and Hawks get a more boom/bust player but buy themselves years of control. YAH!!!! RH PMD.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
VanKiller you can't compare a #1 overall player with HUGE potential. To Forsling who had so so potential and had a good showing at the WJC and still a long shot to make the NHL.

You missed the point. I'm talking about the logic that you can say just because an 18-year old is currently at his "peak" value so far doesn't mean you're selling high when he absolutely has the potential to improve it further.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
VanKiller you can't compare a #1 overall player with HUGE potential. To Forsling who had so so potential and had a good showing at the WJC and still a long shot to make the NHL.

:shakehead

You should read his start-up analogy.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
These are the kinds of players we need to target. Now let's go trade for Pulkkinen. He's barried because of Detroit's crazy forward depth and drafting.

I would love to trade for Pulkkinen. The guy has a fantastic shot, probably better than anyone in our system. His one-timer is very Vrbata-like and he's a righty to boot.

I'm actually totally on board with this trade although I really liked Forsling. Probably my favourite Benning trade so far actually. Clendenning is already a solid dman at the AHL level, which is fairly rare for a 22 year old, and our defensive depth is so awful that he will probably get a good shot up here. His last year where he scored 59 points is definitely impressive but it's the year before that catches my eye. In the 2012-13 season he scored 46 points as an AHL rookie defenseman on the same Rockford team as Ryan Stanton (who I think he should be paired with).

To put things in perspective, our 1st round rookie forward prospects like Shinkaruk and Gaunce will probably not get 46 points this year. And if I calculated the numbers right, Nicklas Jensen has exactly 46 points in the 125 AHL games throughout his whole career.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Chicago has no need for Clendening with their right side depth. another smart move by our GM keeping on top of who's available. Forsling is nothing more than a 5th round project.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
No idea who'll win in this trade, if anyone since they could well both bust, but I appreciate the move. Shows stones trading one of your picks this early after drafting him.

Benning liked Forsling in the 5th (obviously) but fancies this new guy more, and isn't bothered by how much time has passed for development assessment and how it looks. Probably in hunt mode for players on his draft list of yesteryears that got away.:laugh:

Size being less of a concern with "gym rat" Clendening helps. So does any bit of mean streak. Nucks could use oodles.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
So if a team trades McDavid right after drafting him, is that selling high? He's at his "peak" - so far.

It's an extreme example but the concept of selling high really shouldn't apply to prospects at all when in theory any prospect that's playing well generally has the potential do do well at the NHL level, so you're selling low relative to that potential.

If I sell a start-up for $100,000 when it may end up failing or it may go on to be a multi-million dollar business, I wouldn't consider that selling low, even though it's value "started" at zero.

You're not quite grasping the meaning of selling high. And using a generational talent as an example is a poor choice. Players go through peaks and valleys through their careers. When they're doing well, is to sell high. When they're doing badly, is to sell low. Could Forsling go on to be some all-star NHLer? Sure, but you could say that for any prospect. You're never going to see a 5th round draft pick at as high of value as he is right now after his WJ display.

By your logic, we should never trade anyone because we might hit the lottery. Selling Forsling high gives up a prospect with upside that can help us now.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
A year ago Clendening was an untouchable for Blackhawks fans, but suddenly the waiver eligibility starts creeping up and he gets moved. I get the deal from both sides, just not quite sure whether I like it for us yet.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
You're not quite grasping the meaning of selling high. And using a generational talent as an example is a poor choice. Players go through peaks and valleys through their careers. When they're doing well, is to sell high. When they're doing badly, is to sell low. Could Forsling go on to be some all-star NHLer? Sure, but it's a long shot and a long ways from happening. But you're never going to see a 5th round draft pick at as high of value as he is right now after his WJ display.

By your logic, we should never trade anyone because we might hit the lottery. Selling Forsling high gives up a prospect with upside that can help us now.

You literally cannot "sell high" on an 18-year old. There is no way to say that he is at a high point of his value because he could very easily improve it further, and likely will. This isn't like a career 3rd liner going on a hot streak from which he'll likely regress but a team might overpay to add him for a playoff run.

I'm not saying you should never make trades. I just think the idea of labeling the trade of a prospect who is half a year removed from the draft as "sell high" is simply ridiculous.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I actually like this tactic that Benning has employed, targeting young players from deep teams to fill that gap in young players we have, but I wasn't impressed with the Vey trade (price) and the Pedan trade (wrong guy). I'm cautiously optimistic about Clendening, his production is certainly promising and he does fill a need.

Benning's strength is supposed to be his eye for talent, so the idea behind this is solid, I'm just unsure about the execution thus far.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
A year ago Clendening was an untouchable for Blackhawks fans, but suddenly the waiver eligibility starts creeping up and he gets moved. I get the deal from both sides, just not quite sure whether I like it for us yet.
Forsling is still a wildcard to be good at the AHL level while Clendening has at least shown that he can be effective at the AHL from what I've read.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
You literally cannot "sell high" on an 18-year old. There is no way to say that he is at a high point of his value because he could very easily improve it further, and likely will.

I'm not saying you should never make trades. I just think the idea of labeling the trade of a prospect who is half a year removed from the draft as "sell high" is simply ridiculous.

You seem to think that a players current value = potential. They're two very different things and you seem to be confusing the two of them. Selling high != His high point of his career, but rather his performance right now. Do you disagree that his value is not high right now? We just got a better player, right now, for a 5th round pick because we sold high. That's value.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Forsling is still a wildcard to be good at the AHL level while Clendening has at least shown that he can be effective at the AHL from what I've read.

My only trepidation is that if Clendening doesn't stick now, he's waiver eligible next October (or so I remember seeing before, rip capgeek). Clendening was a guy I wanted to target before. Just sad about Forsling as the price (because emotional attachment to shiny new things).

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
You seem to think that a players current value = potential. They're two very different things and you seem to be confusing the two of them. Selling high != His high point of his career, but rather his performance right now. Do you disagree that his value is not high right now? We just got a better player, right now, for a 5th round pick because we sold high. That's value.

Again, if you define selling high as simply trading a player when their value is at their highest without looking at their potential, then trading McDavid right now is selling high.

Your logic is flawed. No player who was just drafted has "high" value relative to what it could be just because they're more valuable than they ever have been.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I think we'll see one of our other defense moved before the deadline. Sbisa may be a bad dman, but there will be a team that would give up even just a 4th or 5th for he or Weber just for depth for the playoffs. This is the time of year where dmen are worth more than ever.

Sbisa could be moved in a package to help elsewhere or for a pick... but Clendening kinda makes Weber even more redundant than he already was who I don't see being back next season anyways.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
My only trepidation is that if Clendening doesn't stick now, he's waiver eligible next October (or so I remember seeing before, rip capgeek). Clendening was a guy I wanted to target before. Just sad about Forsling as the price (because emotional attachment to shiny new things).

yeah it's easy to get excited about young players. I know my initial reaction to this was WTF Forsling's performance at the WJC made Benning look like a genius. But realistically Forsling is an extreme long shot to make the NHL.

Excellent trade as far as I'm concerned.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Again, if you define selling high as simply trading a player when their value is at their highest without looking at their potential, then trading McDavid right now is selling high.

Your logic is flawed. No player who was just drafted has "high" value relative to what it could be just because they're more valuable than they ever have been.

Again, you are not properly grasping the concept correctly. Go back over the last few pages, or look up the meaning of the phrase. No big deal, but lets stay somewhat on topic...

I'm throwing a rope ladder down in that hole you're digging yourself into!

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Again, you are not properly grasping the concept correctly. Go back over the last few pages, or look up the meaning of the phrase. No big deal, but lets stay somewhat on topic...

I'm throwing a rope ladder down into that hole you're digging yourself into!

Your definition quite literally makes no sense. Basically we could trade any of our prospects who haven't regressed yet and it would be "selling high" according to you.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

You're getting too hung up on the semantics. He was sold for higher value than the 5th round pick he was selected at was originally worth. No chance at the draft that pick could have got you Clendening, and now it can. It's irrelevant if he gets higher value in the future. By your concept no one can be sold high or low because there's always the chance they will get better or worse and we can't predict the future.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007

Trading McDavid is always going to be high, he's a generational talent, please stop using him as an example. It's not helping you prove anything.

Let's use Shinkaruk for instance, trying to trade him now wouldn't get you the best possible return since his value is pretty low. Hence, you don't trade him. Optimally you want to wait until a player has high value before trading him. Forsling had high value, so we got another player with higher value in return. It doesn't really matter if they were just drafted or not, that has no impact on a players current value status, other than between the time they were drafted to the start of the next season.

Nice move. Selling high on Forsling to fill an immediate team need.

4th most upvoted comment in the ****** thread. Time to re-evaluate your position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Benning is just godlike, he basically picks up a rh pmd 22 yrs old, for our lh defense that we have way way too many of, glendening can slot in now, absolutely unreal steal for benning, loading the prospect time line like a boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad