Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's really not though. Clendening has just as much upside if not more and is more proven. I mean, what is the upside of Forsling, really? There's very likely no chance he becomes a top pairing guy. And there's a good chance he never even makes the league. This is Chicago trying to get what they can for someone who they probably won't be able to spend the time to develop further. We keep talking about trading Lack because our goaltending timeline makes more sense to try with Markstrom behind Miller with the contract situation and age. Does that mean the team would be giving up on him because they see there's no potential in him?

I dont think Lack is a good comparable considering there isn't 3+ guys ahead of him on the depth chart in the AHL and then the NHL.

Trading Lack only makes sense because Benning overpaid for an average goalie that has a NTC and will force us to lose Lack to free agency.

He's a much more proven NHL commodity than Clendening.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Unfortunate that we traded the only prospect worth following from the 2014 draft after the second round.

Excited to see if Clendening can make an impact.

I'm still mad we basically traded McKowen (sp on iPhone) for Linden Freaking Vey, he reminds me of a worse RHS Mason Raymond...and McKeown is always a beast in nhl 14 ;)

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Exactly this.

Also, as many have said: buy low, sell high.

Absolutely love this deal.

The concept of "selling high" doesn't really apply to an 18-year old. In general you use it for a well established player who has a great season or partial season but is unlikely to sustain or build off it.

Trading Forsling now could just as easily turn out to be selling low as it is selling high since he's no where close to fully developed.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
The concept of "selling high" doesn't really apply to an 18-year old. In general you use it for a well established player who has a great season or partial season but is unlikely to sustain or build off it.

Trading Forsling now could just as easily turn out to be selling low as it is selling high since he's no where close to fully developed.

Your concept of "selling high" is not really correct here. We traded him at his peak - so far.

That is selling high.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I dont think Lack is a good comparable considering there isn't 3+ guys ahead of him on the depth chart in the AHL and then the NHL.

Trading Lack only makes sense because Benning overpaid for an average goalie that has a NTC and will force us to lose Lack to free agency.

He's a much more proven NHL commodity than Clendening.

And trading Clendening only makes sense because of the potential of losing him on waivers next year. The circumstances are irrelevant. The point is when a team is worried they might lose a player, they generally try to get value back before they do. That doesn't mean they don't see potential in him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Your concept of "selling high" is not really correct here. We traded him at his peak - so far.

That is selling high.

Yeah, I kind of cringe when people say we sold high on an 18 year old defenseman we just drafted months ago.

His stock has definitely risen since being drafted (Cory Pronman said he has him as a top 50 prospect from the last draft), but the wording kind of implies that his value has peaked.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yeah, I kind of cringe when people say we sold high on an 18 year old defenseman we just drafted months ago.

His stock has definitely risen since being drafted (Cory Pronman said he had him as a top 50 prospect), but the wording kind of implies that his value has peaked.

I see your point, but we are not saying we bought low and sold at the highest possible value. We just sold at his current peak - which is selling high.

Looking forward to seeing this guy play.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Weber is just as bad as Sbisa.

Flip a coin, then waive both of them.

There is no way this is true.

His stock has definitely risen since being drafted (Cory Pronman said he has him as a top 50 prospect from the last draft), but the wording kind of implies that his value has peaked.

Yeah, exactly how I read it. If anything, we sold on a guy whose value is now higher but not necessarily at its highest.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Obviously Clendening is the better player now, and possibly in the future as well...But I'd really like us to keep our prospects/picks, especially when they look to be a steal.

So you'd rather us keep an inferior player just because he's one of our prospects? Uhhh...

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
I like this trade.

Forsling was still nothing more than a magic bean at this point and we got a player who has already thrown up really impressive point totals in the North American game at the pro level.

No trade is without risk but we got a player who's rights we own for 5 more years that looks like he could potentially start helping us immediately for a player who has a very low probability of playing in the NHL.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

That is selling high.

So if a team trades McDavid right after drafting him, is that selling high? He's at his "peak" - so far.

It's an extreme example but the concept of selling high really shouldn't apply to prospects at all when in theory any prospect that's playing well generally has the potential do do well at the NHL level, so you're selling low relative to that potential.

If I sell a start-up for $100,000 when it may end up failing or it may go on to be a multi-million dollar business, I wouldn't consider that selling high, even though it's value "started" at zero.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So the only option is to throw the baby out with the bath water?

Yeah I don't get the point of those lists. It's like people saying don't trade with Florida because of Booth and Ballard.

You gotta evaluate each move separately, just because other players didn't work out doesn't have any bearing on other players. It's like saying we shouldn't draft any players from the QMJHL because of Sauve and Mallet.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I think he played with stanton in Rockford.

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Corrado
Stanton Clendening

amazing Benning well done

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
I like this trade.

Forsling was still nothing more than a magic bean at this point and we got a player who has already thrown up really impressive point totals in the North American game at the pro level.

No trade is without risk but we got a player who's rights we own for 5 more years that looks like he could potentially start helping us immediately for a player who has a very low probability of playing in the NHL.

I see it this way as well. Plus we already have Subban in the system who's a puck moving PPQB D man. Who looks to be better defensively than Forsling.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
VanKiller you can't compare a #1 overall player with HUGE potential. To Forsling who had so so potential and had a good showing at the WJC and still a long shot to make the NHL.

:shakehead

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I like this trade. Clendening is a good young offensive defenseman who is at a good age. Defensemen do take longer to blossom, and we gave up a lottery ticket for him. People complain about our defensive pipeline, well Benning just added a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad