Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Seth Jones signs extension with the Blackhawks (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I thought he couldn't sign an 8 year extension with a new team until after the trade deadline, like with Karlsson.

They changed that rule. Jones is eligible to sign a 8 year extension when the new season starts on July 28th.

So I assume this is just an agreement to terms that will be signed and filed next week.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'll go the more positive route and say that he has the tools to live up to the majority of that contract. I think last season was an outlier.

But, that's still a massive contract and I don't think he's played at that level for more than one season. And Jones is one of my favorite players.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Buffalo did better than Columbus for Risto and Risto isn’t half the player Jones is. Risto didn’t agree to an extension either.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Buffalo did better than Columbus for Risto and Risto isn’t half the player Jones is. Risto didn’t agree to an extension either.
Columbus was limited to only a couple of teams that Jones would re-sign with.

Reactions: DJA

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
He is good, but not 9.5M good. How much is he overpaid in Your opinion? I would say 7M is max he should be paid per year.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He got more than Pietro!

Don't think he's worth it. I guess we'll see this season if Hawks improve because of this trade, or not. He's young, so there's still room for improvement. He's just going into his prime.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
tenor.gif

Reactions: WarriorOfGandhi

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the Jones contract. I wouldn't want him for that, but rightly or wrongly, it seems clear a lot of the league holds him up as an elite #1D, just like Pietrangelo and Josi, who are around 9M, except he's younger and we're one year further into the flat caps, so the AAV is a bit higher. We knew no team that traded for and signed him was going to be someone who thought the analytics on him were accurate.

Reactions: binop7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad