Proposal: CHI MTL, you want Demidov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
The Montreal player who comes closest to Danault type is Joshua Roy. Beck doesn't have that ability and will be a bottom six.

Joshua Roy have nothing in common with Danault.

Roy's an offensive winger with Nostradamus like anticipation capacity and surgeon like precision in his execution.

Danault's a shutdown center who can chip some offense.

No comparison whatsoever... apart from being both Québécois...

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Habs fan here.

Sorry, but those players you're offering have little value.

You don't attract flies with vinegar...
Habs fan here

We don't care the diff between Levshunov-Demidov-Lindstrom-Dickinson-Iginla-Caton isnt Beck

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Id trade 5 and 26 for 2 in a heartbeat as well, with no idea who the habs plan on drafting
No you don"t cause then you don"t gave chips to trade for another guy like Newhook. And you need one.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Xxx-Dach-Xxx
Roy-Newhook-Beck
Xxx-Evans-RHP

5th OA takes care of winger for Dach, but you need one more.

Trading that 26OA would be a mistake

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No you don"t cause then you don"t gave chips to trade for another guy like Newhook. And you need one.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Xxx-Dach-Xxx
Roy-Newhook-Beck
Xxx-Evans-RHP

5th OA takes care of winger for Dach, but you need one more.

Trading that 26OA would be a mistake
calgary pick

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Fair enough but most people are assuming that he is an automatic star for the Habs and while he is a great prospect, probably their best forward one, too many people are stat watching here.

Beck was in a very good situation on a talented team in his last junior year the next step is going to be hard.
he's not a star...he's a gritty, high IQ,high character two-way C who can play in all situations with elite FO skills. He projects as a very good 3C

Reactions: Rob Sense

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Generally there is a consensus on #2 or at least a couple guys clearly in a tier ahead. Instead there are like 4ish realistic choices to go at #2. Frankly, I'm more than happy to stay put at #5 since there are so many different possibilities and that player we want at #2 could fall to #5 without paying anything.

I see it as:

1. Celebrini

Guaranteed top-5:
Demidov
Levshunov

Then, a whole bunch of guys that can 2 to ~12.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
NO. give away the MVP of the mem cup, hahahahahahah

I'm no scout, not even close so I really don't know if Demidov or anyone else is worth it.

But if the team feels like there's a player worth it to jump from 5th to 2nd for Owen Beck, heck yeah I'd do it in a second.

Beck is an excellent faceoff guy and great in the CHL but I doubt he ever becomes anything more then a 3rd liner/penalty killer. It would suprise me if he ever breaks the 40p mark in the show. I'm sure he put on a defensive clinic is the memorial cup but with with only 4 goals and 14 points does he really match up with the some of the guys below?

As well starting to have serious anxiety about missing out on the top forwards in the draft again. The Habs need offensive talent and Beck is surely not going to be a 60+ point guy in the NHL.

Screenshot_20240610-140411.png

Edit... Reading more posts and feel like my fellow Habs Fans are out to lunch with this one. Another prospects valued way to highly.

We haven't had great offensive talent on this team in years, what is 15+ years without a ppg player and 40g scorer. This will likely be the last year we draft top 5 if both Demidov and Lindstrom ( or whomever) are taken by 5 which could very well be the case then we miss out again. Even then I'd rather we choose who we think is best and not risk it. To trade a career 3rd liner for that security imo is a no brainer.

Chicago won't do it either way.

Last edited:

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Value wise I think it’s fine, however I fail to understand why Chi does it. They need #2 to make sure they get Levshunov no? As for the Habs, I’d just stay at 5 and hope the Russian factor is at play.

Reactions: Be a Hab

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nobody thinks Beck will be a star lmao.

I think you’re confusing Montreal with Vancouver fans. Now that is a fanbase that overrates all their prospects. Remember Podkolzin?
Every fanbase has a portion that vastly over rates their prospects and Vancouver and Montreal are 2 of the worst for sure along with the Sens.

That being said Podkolzin had a bit of a coming out party under BB but I think his development was stifled a bit in russia in the St. Petersburg SKA system which sadly happens to a lot of russian prospects it seems.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Luckily we wont have to find out cause there is almost no way that one of Demidov/Lindstrom/Iginla wont be available at #5
Pretty much this and the whole premise of the OP dictates that Hughes has to value Demidov much higher than any of the other forwards available, which isn't a stretch but also unlikely.

I want BPA at 5 and then move up from 26 as much as possible for one of the 2nd tier forwards (Eiserman/Catton/Helenius/ Sennecke)
This is probably a better strategy and also would cost less.

Unless they have plans for that 26th pick in some deal for a most established forward.....
Maybe but which forward?

Reactions: Captain Mountain

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Seguin nino
Landy-strome
Murray-reilly
Barkov Lindholm
Reinhart dal colle
Eichel hanifin
Laine juolevi
Patrick Petterson
Svech hayton
Kaako turcotte

2012, 2017 out of 10 drafts you got a better player at 5 than at 2
Also in 2012 Murray was by far the better prospect that Reilly, he just ended up having injury issues and never became what he probably could have been.

Same thing with Patrick he had injury issues and EP40 just exploded in his development.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I'm no scout, not even close so I really don't know if Demidov or anyone else is worth it.

But if the team feels like there's a player worth it to jump from 5th to 2nd for Owen Beck, heck yeah I'd do it in a second.

Beck is an excellent faceoff guy and great in the CHL but I doubt he ever becomes anything more then a 3rd liner/penalty killer. It would suprise me if he ever breaks the 40p mark in the show. I'm sure he put on a defensive clinic is the memorial cup but with with only 4 goals and 14 points does he really match up with the some of the guys below?

As well starting to have serious anxiety about missing out on the top forwards in the draft again. The Habs need offensive talent and Beck is surely not going to be a 60+ point guy in the NHL.

View attachment 881222

Edit... Reading more posts and feel like my fellow Habs Fans are out to lunch with this one. Another prospects valued way to highly.

We haven't had great offensive talent on this team in years, what is 15+ years without a ppg player and 40g scorer. This will likely be the last year we draft top 5 if both Demidov and Lindstrom ( or whomever) are taken by 5 which could very well be the case then we miss out again. Even then I'd rather we choose who we think is best and not risk it. To trade a career 3rd liner for that security imo is a no brainer.

Chicago won't do it either way.
Habs ill easily draft top5 again next year

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Hawks already alluded to reality they are not trading down

I would trade down if Demidov is not plan but they seem set on Lev at #2

And I would want deal to be

To :habs
2nd overall

To :hawks
5th overall
26th overall

Use #18 and #26 together to try and trade up, if no interest then pick two forwards in those spots

Its not even clear if Demidov is Montreal's first choice at 5, so its pretty hard to imagine they'd trade an extra 1st to secure him.

It seems at least somewhat probable that Russian phenom Ivan Demidov could be available for the Canadiens at No. 5, but if that happens, there is some question as to whether they would take him there, depending on who else is available, namely Medicine Hat Tigers centre Cayden Lindstrom.

In the unlikely event both of them survive through the first four picks, I would guess (and it is just that, a guess) that the Canadiens would lean toward taking Lindstrom (more on that in a bit). If just one of Lindstrom or Demidov is available at No. 5, that makes the decision somewhat easier for the Canadiens.

I think its more likely Montreal trades down if a team wants to get a jump on a run on D than them trading up.

Reactions: Canadienna

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You've seen the draft lists.

I bet if I did 2OA vs 5OA and 26OA for the past 20 years 2OA alone would be better 8 times out of 10.
Sure but you are skipping over the fact that every GM thinks that he is that exceptional smart guy.

Also looking at recent drafts they have been some really decent guys picked 26th and I think that in this draft 5+26 could easily be better than #2.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Habs ill easily draft top5 again next year
I'd say 8-10 at the best and if Dach comes back healthy I don't think we're drafting higher than 10th. We had very many 1 goal games last year that we are still in and with our D prospects being much more developed I could definitely see us getting 5-6 more points which would have made us draft around 10-11.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
No, they filter out players who they prefer at 5 e.g. Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Sennecke, whatever D. Then they look at X factors. If everone from their list is available who do they pick. What are the odds their favorite is still available at 5? Look at Habs draft video from 2023. They perfectly calculated the draft position for Fowler, Xhekaj and Konyushkov.
And dont think anyone from the scouting team would be unhappy if we end up with Iginla at 5. The odds that we get key top 6 prospect at 5 are extremely high, no point of trading up and lose another asset.
Then we agree. The point i was debating was that there wont be movement because 2-6 are pretty much "even" in the overall sense - my argument was that teams have their own rankings and they wont have lists where they have 2-6 as even; they will figure out a ranking no matter what. If they mark Demidov at 2 and think he is way better than #5, they will move up to get him if possible.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
First time in a while I am not sure pick 2 and 9 are any different in value. There's no clearcut top 5 in this draft. It's Celebrini and then very different opinions. Last year we definitely would have paid the price to move up, this year not worth it. The guy at 5 has the same upside as the guy at 2. I'd be looking more to add a second first in the early teens more than moving up from 5.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You've seen the draft lists.

I bet if I did 2OA vs 5OA and 26OA for the past 20 years 2OA alone would be better 8 times out of 10.

That isn't really relevant as each draft has a different makeup. If this was a draft with an obvious number 2 (or a toss-up between 1 and 2), then it would be a different story. Nevertheless, the last 20 years its:

Malkin vs. Wheeler+Schneider
Ryan vs. Price+Matt Pelech
Jordan Staal vs. Kessel+Leland Irving
JVR vs. Alzner+Perron
Doughty vs. L. Schenn+Ennis
Hedman vs. B. Schenn+Palmieri
Seguin vs. Niederreiter+Kuznetsov
Landeskog vs. R. Strome+Danault
Murray vs. Rielly+B. Gaunce
Barkov vs. E. Lindholm+S. Theodore
Reinhart vs. Dal Colle+Scherbak
Eichel vs. Hanifin+Juulsen
Laine vs. Juolevi+T. Thompson
Nolan Patrick vs. Elias Pettersson+Oettinger
Svechnikov vs. Hayton+Bernard-Docker
Kakko vs. Turcotte+Pelletier
Byfield vs. Sanderson+Neighbors
Berniers vs. Kent Johnson+Lambos
Nemec vs. Gauthier+Mesar
Carlsson vs. Reinbacher+Musty

That's not even close to 8 out of 10. It depends on preferences, but its close to a 3rd with 2OA being better, a 3rd with 5+26OA being better and a 3rd being too soon or a toss-up/personal preference.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad