Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Maybe he's holding onto the puck because his linemates aren't moving into open positions and he doesn't want to make a risky pass. Maybe his 1C linemates will be better at it

Reactions: PlayMakers and BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Maybe he's holding onto the puck because his linemates aren't moving into open positions and he doesn't want to make a risky pass. Maybe his 1C linemates will be better at it
Minnesota fans I'm sure said that for years too.

At some point we have to admit he is who he is.

Best we can hope for is a Haula like fit where the line works well enough in the regular season to get us into the playoffs.

But just like with Haula I feel Coyle would get caved in when line matched against an Aho type

Reactions: Dr Quincy

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

Best we can hope for is a Haula like fit where the line works well enough in the regular season to get us into the playoffs.

But just like with Haula I feel Coyle would get caved in when line matched against an Aho type
Time will tell.

Hopefully he gets enough time at 1C to know for sure .

Reactions: PlayMakers

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
They tried him with elite players. He just isn’t a playmaker. He is a great player. But he isn’t an elite set up man.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
A guy can have a breakout year at 31... it's rare, but career years happen.

But a guy can't become a completely different kind of player at 31. If you don't have offensive creativity, vision and handle at 25.. it's not coming.

That doesn't mean he'll be a failure this year, in fact I think he could have his best year ever.

It just means he's going to need a playmaking winger on his line.

Reactions: BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I like him and wish him well, but calling him a first line center can be relative. Like calling the person who graduated from Harvard Medical 167th out of a class of 167 a Harvard Doctor. They are, but...

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
In Coyle’s defense two years ago he started on the second line with Hall and Smith. The line put up decent points but didn’t seem to have a lot of chemistry. They then put together a line of Hall-Haula-Pastrnak that took off. Pasta instead of Smith makes a big difference in the success of that line.

Do I think Coyle is best served on the third line? Of course. I do think he will be able to hold his own playing with two good wings in Marchand and Debrusk though and that line will have a lot better chemistry.

Reactions: PlayMakers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Well he had Debrusk on his 3rd line wing for a prolonged period of time and now he’s going to have him again on his wing on the first line. So unless they start playing better together, they’ll be very dependent on Marchand to push that line.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

As good fits go I wouldn't break up him and Frederic.

Would also rather see him at C2 and instead of some JVR nonsense they could have a top 6 of

DeBrusk Zacha Pastrnak - built around speed and playmaking, and DeBrusk can go back to his natural left wing spot.

and

Marchand Coyle Frederic - built around possession and 2 way play. They could also be a royal pain in the ass to play against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sieve77 and hrdpuk

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
He looks like a 3rd line center to me. His puck possession is the most overrated comment on these boards and I believe it comes from Jack Edward’s signing his praises whenever he holds on to the puck.

The problem is he has no vision and holds and holds the puck for way too long and ultimately ends up turning it over the majority of the time. Doyle’s puck possession is great on the PK and eat some minutes, but when you need to score goals it’s a detriment to the team.

It’s overrated regardless… if he was playing keep away he’d be a generational talent. Unfortunately he holds onto the puck way too long and plays dissipate whiles he’s got his head down trying to hold onto the puck and he eventually ends up turning it over.

I disagree. Coyle turns the puck over less than Krejci and only slightly more than Bergeron, which is to say not much at all. He was 10th on the team in turnovers per/60. He averages 35 turnovers per 82 games... compare that to Pasta who had 105 turnovers last season.

And what you see as "holding the puck too long" I see as poise. I know the kinds of plays your talking about. I remember a play in the playoffs where he was in a 3on2 and DeBrusk drove to the net on one side and Marchand drove on the other and for asecond it looked like there might be a lane to Marchand but the D read it and stayed glued to Marchand, which opened up a lane for Coyle to get a point blank shot from the low slot. He does that a lot, look off the obvious pass and then step into the lane the D vacates for a scoring chance. IMO, those ‘hold it for an extra second‘ plays usually work out in his favor.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Coyle has a lot of tools but he definitely lacks a goal scorers finish. He is a big strong defensive player though. I don’t see why he can’t be a second line shut down centre.
I agree with that. Not a high end finisher, or a volume shooter. Maybe he can get more pucks on net this season.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
They tried him with elite players. He just isn’t a playmaker. He is a great player. But he isn’t an elite set up man.
No they didn't.

Coyle has never had a chance to play with two top6 wingers. And he's never had significant PP time.

The truth is that, at even strength Coyle already scores like a low end top6 center. He put up about the same amount of ES points as a lot of guys we'd consider first line centers, guys like Bergeron, Horvat, Kadri, JT Miller, Kuznetsov, Thomas, Hertl, Tavares, Karlsson, Bennett... (all around 37-43 ES points, Coyle had 40).

I'm hoping that if he can get either PP time or the opportunity to play with two actual top6 forwards this year, his points will take a jump and be more in line with other good two-way 2nd line C's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook and BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No they didn't.

Coyle has never had a chance to play with two top6 wingers. And he's never had significant PP time.

The truth is that, at even strength Coyle already scores like a low end top6 center. He put up about the same amount of ES points as a lot of guys we'd consider first line centers, guys like Bergeron, Horvat, Kadri, JT Miller, Kuznetsov, Thomas, Hertl, Tavares, Karlsson, Bennett... (all around 37-43 ES points, Coyle had 40).

I'm hoping that if he can get either PP time or the opportunity to play with two actual top6 forwards this year, his points will take a jump and be more in line with other good two-way 2nd line C's.

I have no doubt his points will increase in a bigger role, but the question is will he be sufficient in that role.

He got about a half season of top 6 play two years ago when krejci was gone and he was a minus player in the top 6 role until Cassidy switched it up and put haula on the 2nd line.

His point production was up, but his line was often outmatched. Could be the same scenario next year.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Do the Bruins have the worst C depth in the NHL right now?
no. Philly, Ottawa, Nashville & Minnesota all worse off the top of my head. Montreal in the conversation too.

Coyle & Zacha have their limitations and Coyle especially is best fit as a 3C but let's not pretend both guys aren't competent reliable centers. Philly & Ottawa way worse by comparison. Nashville replaces Duchene with ROR who has to go back to carrying a mediocre team like he was failing to do in St Louis last year.

Bruins need another top 6 C but they have time. Advantage they have over other teams lacking C depth is 2 elite wingers, 2 #1 goalies and the best D in the NHL.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
No they didn't.

I have distinct recollections of Coyle slotting in for Bergeron or the 2C during injury stretches. Also, didn't they start him at 2C out of training camp in 2021-2022?

It has never to this point worked out terribly well. That's not to say it is impossible, it just seems like wishful thinking.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I have distinct recollections of Coyle slotting in for Bergeron or the 2C during injury stretches. Also, didn't they start him at 2C out of training camp in 2021-2022?

It has never to this point worked out terribly well. That's not to say it is impossible, it just seems like wishful thinking.
He has stepped in for spot duty, like last year’s playoffs. He has not had an extended run with two top six wingers including 2021-22 where he played with Hall and Craig Smith.

Reactions: Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
No they didn't.

They used him on the second line a couple seasons ago. Maybe I’m using “elite” too loose. He played with Taylor hall though. Taylor hall is a really good nhl player. A top 6 winger with great vision. I don’t think he will ever be an offensive monster. He is what he is. And I’m happy with it.

A second line that’s an elite defensive line would be fantastic. This team has a lot of other weapons. I’m not worried about coyle on the second line.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Coyle is not all of a sudden going to become an elite center. No doubt he can sub in for a period of time but if this is their plan to have him as that number one guy we better dig in for a long season

Coyle needs to be where he belongs on third line by xmas if this season is going to matter much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad