Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
My $.02

In a lot of ways Coyle seems primed for a breakout season. At even strength, he outscored most of the #1 centers fans here covet, and he did that in a shut down role, getting 71% Dzone starts. Put him with more productive wingers like Marchand and DeBrusk, give him 60% Ozone starts (which is what the Marchand line is used to getting) and it's hard to make a reasonable argument that his even strength offense won't improve.

The question is where does he fit on the PP. His lack of PP production has always suppressed his point totals. He's always been on the 2nd PP so they don't see a ton of ice. Being relegated to 2nd PP duty also suppressed Hall's totals. If Coyle is the new right shot bumper on the PP1 it could be a big year for him.

The flip side to all that is his age. It's rare for 30+ year olds to have breakout years... Marchand did it, and Coyle is a similar gym rat, but still history isn't favorable.
the thing is they don't really have anyone that can play that shutdown role outside of Coyle. the 4th line with Lucic isn't getting 80% D zone starts or whatever. I think they'll try Coyle in the top 6 and quickly realize they need him elsewhere. Here's hoping Merkulov has a strong camp & can be serviceable in the top 6 (maybe with Marchand & Debrusk helping shelter him) so that Coyle can continue to do the heavy lifting.

I do think Coyle will rack up some powerplay points but I don't expect him to get the kind of O zone deployments that 46 and 37 were getting. But if a kid doesn't step up they may not have a choice so we'll see. I definitely expect some growing pains as they figure out the right composition of this year's lineup.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
the thing is they don't really have anyone that can play that shutdown role outside of Coyle...
I don't see why they can't change how they deploy the lines. Let Coyle continue to play the shut down role but with Marchand. There was a time the Bergeron/Marchand line got 60% Dzone starts and still scored. Coyle got those heavy Dzone starts last year and still managed to outscore Bergeron at ES. Just play line 1 vs line 1.

Reactions: BMC

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Unfortunately the Bruins best chance of getting a real first line center is now in free agency. It should be in the draft next year, but they won't get it because if the pick falls in the top 10 (which isn't unrealistic given their line up) the pick will defer to Detroit. Great planning for the future by the front office. Ideally Geekie, Zacha, or one of the prospects in the system pans out and breaks out in the new system but I'm not holding my breath. If this team is dependent on Coyle as a first line center, then Monty is so screwed.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If Charlie Coyle was going to be the #1C, he would have been the #1C last playoffs when Bergeron and Krejci were out. The whole premise of this thread is absurd. October can't come fast enough.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Unfortunately the Bruins best chance of getting a real first line center is now in free agency. It should be in the draft next year, but they won't get it because if the pick falls in the top 10 (which isn't unrealistic given their line up) the pick will defer to Detroit. Great planning for the future by the front office. Ideally Geekie, Zacha, or one of the prospects in the system pans out and breaks out in the new system but I'm not holding my breath. If this team is dependent on Coyle as a first line center, then Monty is so screwed.

Pretty sure this is incorrect.

Reactions: DominicT

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
They already tried Coyle at 2C. What would make them think he will be any better at 1C? I don’t think Pastranak and DeBrusk or Marchand are elevate Coyle’s game to that of a number one NHL center.

I understand that Charlie Coyle is a wicked nice guy and everyone here likes him, but he is not the answer at 1C or 2C.

I think this year will see Zacha as 1C. No idea what they will try at 2C, but they may have to play Coyle there for lack of a better option. So, who knows?

Reactions: JOKER 192

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ive always been a fan of Coyle and think he is a really good 3rd line center. He will probably put up career numbers as #1 center and by all accounts he should and its expected. At the same time it will probably be the most outmatched hes ever been in his career and over the rigors of a full season it will definitely show. His scoring and overall offense is too streaky, but what hes got by on is still being a dominant possession player and that will at least always be serviceable as a baseline for a 3rd line center. However that doesnt work as a top 6 center much less a first line center.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If there was ever a time for a player to rise to the occasion, it's Charlie Coyle and it's now

I hope he can too. He's my favorite current Bruin (I even bought his jersey, only the second time I've ever done that) but I am well aware of his limitations. On the other hand he's worked diligently to improve as a center. We'll just have to wait & see.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I hope he can too. He's my favorite current Bruin (I even bought his jersey, only the second time I've ever done that) but I am well aware of his limitations. On the other hand he's worked diligently to improve as a center. We'll just have to wait & see.

In spite of all the opinions thrown around here, none of us really know how it's going to work out. I like the player, and really hope he can step up. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but I am pulling for him (not least because the team really needs it to happen).

Reactions: hrdpuk and BMC

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
It's amazing the amount of work these athletes have put in just to make it into the NHL. There are skilled and determined. Coyle could surprise.
Coyle trains at Rodman Arena where one of my sons plays junior hockey. He skates with Jon Lounsbury, who is a terrific skills coach that has worked for other NHL teams and with Adam Oates team (who works with McDavid among others).

Every year, Coyle is out there with other local NHL'ers and all of them studs (Berniers was the big draw last year), and every year all the junior kids are blown away by Coyle above all others.

I say it every year, Coyle is the most confusing player in the NHL, because by my "eye test" he looks like a dominant top6 forward with size, hands, smarts... but by the counting stats he looks like a 3rd liner. I've never experienced a bigger disconnect in what I see and what a player produces. Hopefully this is the year it comes together.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m loving the low expectations for Charlie.

He doesn’t play like a #1 center, it’s confirmation of what we “already knew”.

He fills the role admirably? Love it. Local boy having an impact year would no doubt be fun.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Can somebody tell me the last time an 11 year vet who averages 40 points a year suddenly became a 60-65 point top two center? Output one would expect between Marchand and DeBrusk for the center on that line if the team is to be successful

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Coyle trains at Rodman Arena where one of my sons plays junior hockey. He skates with Jon Lounsbury, who is a terrific skills coach that has worked for other NHL teams and with Adam Oates team (who works with McDavid among others).

Every year, Coyle is out there with other local NHL'ers and all of them studs (Berniers was the big draw last year), and every year all the junior kids are blown away by Coyle above all others.

I say it every year, Coyle is the most confusing player in the NHL, because by my "eye test" he looks like a dominant top6 forward with size, hands, smarts... but by the counting stats he looks like a 3rd liner. I've never experienced a bigger disconnect in what I see and what a player produces. Hopefully this is the year it comes together.
He looks like a 3rd line center to me. His puck possession is the most overrated comment on these boards and I believe it comes from Jack Edward’s signing his praises whenever he holds on to the puck.

The problem is he has no vision and holds and holds the puck for way too long and ultimately ends up turning it over the majority of the time. Doyle’s puck possession is great on the PK and eat some minutes, but when you need to score goals it’s a detriment to the team.

Reactions: JOKER 192

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He looks like a 3rd line center to me. His puck possession is the most overrated comment on these boards and I believe it comes from Jack Edward’s signing his praises whenever he holds on to the puck.

The problem is he has no vision and holds and holds the puck for way too long and ultimately ends up turning it over the majority of the time. Doyle’s puck possession is great on the PK and eat some minutes, but when you need to score goals it’s a detriment to the team.

they sang praises over his puck possession game over in Minnesota too. It's not just a Jack Edwards/Boston thing.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
they sang praises over his puck possession game over in Minnesota too. It's not just a Jack Edwards/Boston thing.
It’s overrated regardless… if he was playing keep away he’d be a generational talent. Unfortunately he holds onto the puck way too long and plays dissipate whiles he’s got his head down trying to hold onto the puck and he eventually ends up turning it over.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Can somebody tell me the last time an 11 year vet who averages 40 points a year suddenly became a 60-65 point top two center? Output one would expect between Marchand and DeBrusk for the center on that line if the team is to be successful
I'm kinda with you. I don't think he's going to be something that he's never been. He's not going to be a real 1C.

But I could see him putting up career highs just because of linemates and usage. I think he'll be "fine". To me the B's aren't going to be carried by an elite performance by any of their Fs (other than Pasta), but instead just solid above average performances from the whole roster. I'm not sure what the ceiling is for the team, but the good thing is that all of the other teams in the East have some sort of question mark themselves.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Coyle has a lot of tools but he definitely lacks a goal scorers finish. He is a big strong defensive player though. I don’t see why he can’t be a second line shut down centre.

Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad