Proposal: Chabottom Girls Make The RocKing World Go 'Round: L.A. + OTT + ARI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
It makes some sense, whether you think it makes enough sense to justify actually doing it is another story...

It doesn’t though. It’s not an EA game. Signing an 8-year contract signifies that the player is someone you want to drive your team forward and build around. The result of trading a player just one year into an 8 year deal would be catastrophic for any negotiations with future FAs and indicative of an organization that has no idea what direction it wants to go in.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Why do you post trade ideas here if you don't care about feedback from the involved teams' fanbases?

Not all feedback is created equal...

There's feedback that is constructive to the discussion I'm attempting to initiate: "I think Player X is overpaid, so I'd be hesitant to take on his contract considering Player Y is due for an extension", or "There's a solid goalie prospect that should be ready next season, this deal seems to block his path to the big club"

Then there's the not-so-constructive feedback that is intended to halt the discussion: "We're not trading Player X, so stop putting him in your proposals!", or "There's no reason for Team Y to do that trade"

I welcome feedback

I don't care about dogmatic opinions being presented as fact...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No to trading Chabot...We have young centers, forwards and goalies...We are not trading our best defender

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It doesn’t though. It’s not an EA game. Signing an 8-year contract signifies that the player is someone you want to drive your team forward and build around. The result of trading a player just one year into an 8 year deal would be catastrophic for any negotiations with future FAs and indicative of an organization that has no idea what direction it wants to go in.

You create additional cap space if you trade Chabot for Turcotte and Clarke...

If Turcotte and Clarke both reach their potential the Sens will be bettered positioned for success...

Clarke is from Ottawa and would make for a great story if a local kid became the face of the franchise

Again, whether you think any of those reasons is sufficient to go ahead with the deal is another story...

But the trade makes some sense based on the 3 reasons above, so to say otherwise is being disingenuous

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

If Turcotte and Clarke both reach their potential the Sens will be bettered positioned for success...

Clarke is from Ottawa and would make for a great story if a local kid became the face of the franchise

Again, whether you think any of those reasons is sufficient to go ahead with the deal is another story...

But the trade makes some sense based on the 3 reasons above, so to say otherwise is being disingenuous
We already have Pinto,Norris that compare favorably to Turcotte...With another pest center in Greig in the pipe..Also we have Sanderson on defense coming.... So why would we be interested again??

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Not all feedback is created equal...

There's feedback that is constructive to the discussion I'm attempting to initiate: "I think Player X is overpaid, so I'd be hesitant to take on his contract considering Player Y is due for an extension", or "There's a solid goalie prospect that should be ready next season, this deal seems to block his path to the big club"

Then there's the not-so-constructive feedback that is intended to halt the discussion: "We're not trading Player X, so stop putting him in your proposals!", or "There's no reason for Team Y to do that trade"

I welcome feedback

I don't care about dogmatic opinions being presented as fact...

I disagree...

Proposal: - Led Zubpelin's When The Leddy Breaks: COL + DET + OTT

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
We already have Pinto,Norris that compare favorably to Turcotte...With another pest center in Greig in the pipe..Also we have Sanderson on defense coming.... So why would we be interested again??

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Again why??Ottawa yes looks wonky and hasnt spent like LA yet,but trading Chabot doesnt help us..

We have prospects as good as or better than the ones you have offered,and really have no need for them at the expense of Chabot

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

If Ottawa needed to clear cap space then this would be a valid point.

But they don't need to clear cap space.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If Ottawa needed to clear cap space then this would be a valid point.

But they don't need to clear cap space.

Does a wealthy man not pick up a $100 bill off the ground because he doesn't need it?

It still has value whether or not it's a pressing need...

Last edited:

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Does a wealthy man not pick up a $100 bill off the ground because he doesn't need it?

It still has value whether or not it's a pressing need...

Ottawa is literally at the cap floor barely making it because White is injured, so in this scenario the cap savings would not be an asset but the opposite because we would have to somehow get back to the floor.

Reactions: Altimus

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004

We're barely at the cap floor as it is, that's not an argument that works for Ottawa. We literally can't move Chabot's contract and take on only Maatta and ELCs and remain cap compliant (at least until if/when Brady signs), another deal would have to be made to add another $3 million+ to the cap.

Would Clarke and Turcotte be great additions? Sure. Does moving the only real star that's currently on the roster to acquire him make sense? Not in the slightest. Would we be better positioned for success by moving a #1D for two (admittedly very talented) question marks? We have Pinto and Norris as top-6 Cs already, obviously you can't have too many good Cs but Turcotte isn't a need at the moment unless both their development stalls out. We have Zub, Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson to support the anchors that we expect Chabot and Sanderson to be and round out the D. Not diminishing Turcotte and Clarke as prospects as they clearly have fantastic potential, but at some point you have to stop recycling your best pieces into prospect capital and start trying to compete.

You completely failed to address my main point that moving a homegrown star talent 1 year into an 8 year contract both shows a lack of direction and creates a rift between the team and future potential signings. Not to mention the backlash that moving another star would have from the fans. It would likely widen the rift back to the level it was when the organization initially scorched the earth. Chabot signed an 8-year deal to play in Ottawa, he's a #1D that's proven he's committed to the team and the team committed to him. Ottawa needs more of those players, not less.

Acquiring players at any cost because they're from the local area isn't an intelligent team-building plan. Can it be a selling point when it comes time to retain the player? Possibly, but outside of that it holds little value and we're moving an exceptional player in this deal that has already given us that kind of commitment.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
:deadhorse
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Take every single offer you make. Reduce the number of pieces involved by 75% and the number of teams involved to 2.

Also, these aren't even puns anymore. It's just "oh, this can kind of be corrupted into something that includes a player's name!"

lmao stop crying. The best trade proposals are the ones where every fanbase ends up crying.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Cap space? Ottawa?

In case you missed it... Ottawa barely reaches the cap floor, they don't NEED to create cap space

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ottawa is literally at the cap floor barely making it because White is injured, so in this scenario the cap savings would not be an asset but the opposite because we would have to somehow get back to the floor.

We're barely at the cap floor as it is, that's not an argument that works for Ottawa. We literally can't move Chabot's contract and take on only Maatta and ELCs and remain cap compliant (at least until if/when Brady signs), another deal would have to be made to add another $3 million+ to the cap.

Would Clarke and Turcotte be great additions? Sure. Does moving the only real star that's currently on the roster to acquire him make sense? Not in the slightest. Would we be better positioned for success by moving a #1D for two (admittedly very talented) question marks? We have Pinto and Norris as top-6 Cs already, obviously you can't have too many good Cs but Turcotte isn't a need at the moment unless both their development stalls out. We have Zub, Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson to support the anchors that we expect Chabot and Sanderson to be and round out the D. Not diminishing Turcotte and Clarke as prospects as they clearly have fantastic potential, but at some point you have to stop recycling your best pieces into prospect capital and start trying to compete.

You completely failed to address my main point that moving a homegrown star talent 1 year into an 8 year contract both shows a lack of direction and creates a rift between the team and future potential signings. Not to mention the backlash that moving another star would have from the fans. It would likely widen the rift back to the level it was when the organization initially scorched the earth. Chabot signed an 8-year deal to play in Ottawa, he's a #1D that's proven he's committed to the team and the team committed to him. Ottawa needs more of those players, not less.

Acquiring players at any cost because they're from the local area isn't an intelligent team-building plan. Can it be a selling point when it comes time to retain the player? Possibly, but outside of that it holds little value and we're moving an exceptional player in this deal that has already given us that kind of commitment.

Cap space? Ottawa?

In case you missed it... Ottawa barely reaches the cap floor, they don't NEED to create cap space

Yes, I'm aware of Ottawa's cap situation...

The additional cap space could be used to take on a short term cap dump (along with the pick/prospect it comes with) in order to reach the cap floor

Creating cap space in this particular case wouldn't be a significant reason for Ottawa to make this trade, but it would open up future cap as well beyond this season which is a positive... but I do acknowledge that's not a pressing need

With that said, the cap space comment was one of a few reasons I listed to show the trade does make some sense for Ottawa, so even if you want to remove the cap space reason, there are still other merits to the deal...

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
To the OP, I come in peace. I've proposed for LA, but before the recent off-season signings, a somewhat similar deal giving futures that Ottawa is lesser in and LA is greater in (mainly centers but also a replacement LHD prospect) for Chabot, like a year ago or so. This was because I saw what GM Blake said, that LA was missing a dynamic LHD (imo, to anchor the 2nd pair and to be 1LHD in any situation where we needed a top LHD). Right now we have ok to decent rookies and couple old guys, basically a bunch of barely NHL dudes.

My question to you is, do you feel the current Ottawa prospect pool is still too shallow in some parts still in order to contend for a few years? In my proposal, it was purely selfish for the Kings but at the time I saw that the Ottawa pool was very shallow in the RHD and center positions, and LA is super deep in the latter. But in my mind, I thought Ottawa, like any upcoming team, needs leadership in the form a Captain and Chabot could be that...so could Tkachuk though. The trade off would be filling the most important C position. At this point, do you still feel it is so (after several of the younger center prospects have had time to show more and after the drafting of Stutzle)? Because in a vacuum, Chabot, although older, occupies an important future role...think Chara in Boston the last five years.

BTW, I have no problem having Chabot's salary come off the books if I'm Ottawa and go below the cap floor. There are a kajillion teams willing to pay/can be held up for valuable futures to take their past signing mistakes, further deepening the well of futures for the next five years. Dorion wouldn't even need to make one call...the moment it got out that Ottawa is below the cap, other teams' GMs will be calling them.

Reactions: Perennial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad