Proposal: Chabottom Girls Make The RocKing World Go 'Round: L.A. + OTT + ARI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To the OP, I come in peace. I've proposed for LA, but before the recent off-season signings, a somewhat similar deal giving futures that Ottawa is lesser in and LA is greater in (mainly centers but also a replacement LHD prospect) for Chabot, like a year ago or so. This was because I saw what GM Blake said, that LA was missing a dynamic LHD (imo, to anchor the 2nd pair and to be 1LHD in any situation where we needed a top LHD). Right now we have ok to decent rookies and couple old guys, basically a bunch of barely NHL dudes.

My question to you is, do you feel the current Ottawa prospect pool is still too shallow in some parts still in order to contend for a few years? In my proposal, it was purely selfish for the Kings but at the time I saw that the Ottawa pool was very shallow in the RHD and center positions, and LA is super deep in the latter. But in my mind, I thought Ottawa, like any upcoming team, needs leadership in the form a Captain and Chabot could be that...so could Tkachuk though. The trade off would be filling the most important C position. At this point, do you still feel it is so (after several of the younger center prospects have had time to show more and after the drafting of Stutzle)? Because in a vacuum, Chabot, although older, occupies an important future role...think Chara in Boston the last five years.

BTW, I have no problem having Chabot's salary come off the books if I'm Ottawa and go below the cap floor. There are a kajillion teams willing to pay/can be held up for valuable futures to take their past signing mistakes, further deepening the well of futures for the next five years. Dorion wouldn't even need to make one call...the moment it got out that Ottawa is below the cap, other teams' GMs will be calling them.

Ottawa has some pretty good young centers in Norris and Pinto, and of course Stutzle if he ends up moving there in the future, but who knows if they'll develop into the types of players who can make the team a legit contender in the coming years...

They thought they had a player like that in Colin White, but he hasn't lived up to the expectations that came with his contract

So, bring on the talented center prospects!

As for the leadership role, that can be taken care of by signing a respected vet to a 1 or 2 year deal until one of the young guys emerge as the team's next leader

Last edited:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ottawa has some pretty good young centers in Norris and Pinto, and of course Stutzle if he ends up moving there in the future, but who knows if they'll develop into the types of players who can make the team a legit contender in the coming years...

They thought they had a player like that in Coin White, but he hasn't lived up to the expectations that came with his contract

As for the leadership role, that can be taken care of by signing a respected vet to a 1 or 2 year deal until one of the young guys emerge as the team's next leader

They thought they had a player like that in Coin White, but he hasn't lived up to the expectations that came with his contract

So your reasoning for Ottawa taking on more high end prospects when they already have high end prospects is because some of them might bust?

And your proposal in this case would be to trade someone who actually has reached or neared their ceiling? Sounds quite counter intuitive.

The always great deal of acquiring a surplus by using equity that is scarce.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So your reasoning for Ottawa taking on more high end prospects when they already have high end prospects is because some of them might bust?

And your proposal in this case would be to trade someone who actually has reached or neared their ceiling? Sounds quite counter intuitive.

The always great deal of acquiring a surplus by using equity that is scarce.

My reasoning was typed all nice and proper in the OP...

Reactions: Sparky93

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Absolutely not from a Kings fan perspective.

Turcotte is on the cusp of making the team. Clarke is penciled in to be the next No. 1 RD after Doughty retires. Quick is better than the cap dump he's treated as.

As bland said, the immediate return wouldn't justify the future being spent.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So we’ve had Zeppelin and now Queen. Your next challenge is to suggest a bad Kravstov trade using either a Rolling Stojes song or a Beatles song. Maybe something like Krvastov Never Knows or I Can’t Get No Kravstovfaction?
Kravstov to new jersey: Sympathy for the Devils

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I couldn't care less...

If I'm running the Kings, I want Quick's 5.8 cap hit off the books next season so it can be put to better use

So, with that mind... maybe quit trying to tell me what to do
Wow, defiance is so cool.

A fan of the team is giving you information about their team and you're too busy being like, "Hahaha irrelevant to the master of puns".

Now, is it too soon to make an inexplicable Crosby to Buffalo trade proposal that has a 'wordplay' on the Cosby show?

Ah well, if someone tells me it is, I can just tell them I 'couldn't care less' what they think.

Reactions: JoeSakic13

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Wow, defiance is so cool.

A fan of the team is giving you information about their team and you're too busy being like, "Hahaha irrelevant to the master of puns".

Now, is it too soon to make an inexplicable Crosby to Buffalo trade proposal that has a 'wordplay' on the Cosby show?

Ah well, if someone tells me it is, I can just tell them I 'couldn't care less' what they think.

I disagree….

Reactions: JoeSakic13

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I disagree….

supernatural-jensen-ackles.gif

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Chabot is our #1D. We going to ship him out after he made a 8 year commitment to stay in Ottawa for 2 unproven (great potential) players?
Not only does this pull us back into an early form of the rebuild, it messes up chemistry in the room. Chabot is well respected.

The players we need to move are guys with bad cap hit and/or term Zaitsev ($4.5M x 3) Tierney ($3.5M x 1) White ($4.75M x 4), etc... not Chabot

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Many posters wear their fandom like a sheriff's badge as if that gives them some kind of authority over that team and its players...

As for Turcotte + Clarke for Chabot... yes, that's definitely worthy a good long look, isn't it?

With the same approach in mind of having the second wave of kids come in together, I'd be looking to deal Zub and C. Brown as well...

Who is going to replace Chabot? Clarke is a young kid he's not ready for 1D duties. We are already thin on the blue line after Chabot, Zub, Holden...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Who is going to replace Chabot? Clarke is a young kid he's not ready for 1D duties. We are already thin on the blue line after Chabot, Zub, Holden...

Since I said in the OP I think the Sens are years away from contention, they'll have plenty of time to address their lack of depth on D before they're playing any meaningful games in the spring...

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Since I said in the OP I think the Sens are years away from contention, they'll have plenty of time to address their lack of depth on D because they're playing any meaningful games in the spring...
Define "years away from contention" are you talking 4-5 years? They can contend for the playoffs as early as next year IMO. Heck without a bad start last year, they could have made it interesting. By the time Clarke/Turcotte are relevant (2-3 years) we have wasted term on contracts for Tkachuk, Batherson, Chabot, etc. We don't need to get younger, we need to get more experienced. Plus our prospect cupboards are already full..Sanderson, Boucher, JDB, Thomson, Greig, Jarventie, Kleven, Crookshank, Sokolov, etc...

The teams that contend have a good mix of young and experienced good players. The young guns push the vets with new energy and the vets show the younger guys how to stay composed under pressure and win.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes, I'm aware of Ottawa's cap situation...

The additional cap space could be used to take on a short term cap dump (along with the pick/prospect it comes with) in order to reach the cap floor

Creating cap space in this particular case wouldn't be a significant reason for Ottawa to make this trade, but it would open up future cap as well beyond this season which is a positive... but I do acknowledge that's not a pressing need

With that said, the cap space comment was one of a few reasons I listed to show the trade does make some sense for Ottawa, so even if you want to remove the cap space reason, there are still other merits to the deal...

Lol, trade Chabot, to create cap space, and then take on a cap dump to get back to cap floor.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just a very odd proposal in that Clarke and Turcotte carry so much trade equity and it feels ridiculous to deny that offer for Chabot, but 10 out of 10 times I would.

We can’t be stuck in this continuous circle of one step forward, two step back in terms of contending.

Some points though, I love Chabby but in all honesty I see him more as a very high end #2 at this point, and 8m isn’t exactly a bargain. Hopefully we see straight dominance from him as the team improves though.

I don't think there's 15 better defenseman out there let alone 30-40 to make him a high ranked #2.

I think you have to rethink your rankings.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think the obvious reason - which I mentioned in the OP - is that Ottawa is years away from contention..

When do you think most players start to enter their prime?

I don't understand how they're years away unless you think players hit their prime at 26 or something.

A lot of experts think they have the pieces to be a decent contender already, they just have to develop into their prime. They have so many guys who are about to enter their prime in the next year or two so I dont see how they're many years away and should trade 24 year olds. Makes no sense.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I know it doesn’t quite make sense for Ottawa but in a cap world it’s inexcusable to trade a potential 1C and 1D away if your goal is to contend for the Stanley cup. Regardless of how good of a player is coming back the other way.

We’re not talking about Erik Brannstrom and Colin White here. Turcotte and Clarke are blue chip prospects and up until now we don’t have any indication Clarke can’t be a Chabot, and to pay a premium in Turcotte after just recently making the draft choice and getting your player just doesn’t quite make sense to me.

I’m not trading Stützle & Sanderson for virtually anyone. They are too good of prospects and weaponizing that ELC is invaluable. So I’m sure LA feels the same about Turcotte & Clarke, even more so because they have contracts and established players already.

IMO Kings win a cup faster with Turk and Clarke on their ELC than with Chabot in their line up. The goal is to win a cup, not to do the best you can as soon as possible.

Wait. Are Turcotte and Clarke ranked significantly higher than brannstrom and white were a few years ago?

I seem to remember brannstrom ranked as a top 20~ prospect league wide.

Which proves our point. We wouldn't trade chabot for a young white and brannstrom who were both absolutely labeled blue chip prospects. White was ranked RIGHT behind chabot as a prospect too.

Prospects are too unknown compared to a young star defenseman signed long term.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
To the OP, I come in peace. I've proposed for LA, but before the recent off-season signings, a somewhat similar deal giving futures that Ottawa is lesser in and LA is greater in (mainly centers but also a replacement LHD prospect) for Chabot, like a year ago or so. This was because I saw what GM Blake said, that LA was missing a dynamic LHD (imo, to anchor the 2nd pair and to be 1LHD in any situation where we needed a top LHD). Right now we have ok to decent rookies and couple old guys, basically a bunch of barely NHL dudes.

My question to you is, do you feel the current Ottawa prospect pool is still too shallow in some parts still in order to contend for a few years? In my proposal, it was purely selfish for the Kings but at the time I saw that the Ottawa pool was very shallow in the RHD and center positions, and LA is super deep in the latter. But in my mind, I thought Ottawa, like any upcoming team, needs leadership in the form a Captain and Chabot could be that...so could Tkachuk though. The trade off would be filling the most important C position. At this point, do you still feel it is so (after several of the younger center prospects have had time to show more and after the drafting of Stutzle)? Because in a vacuum, Chabot, although older, occupies an important future role...think Chara in Boston the last five years.

BTW, I have no problem having Chabot's salary come off the books if I'm Ottawa and go below the cap floor. There are a kajillion teams willing to pay/can be held up for valuable futures to take their past signing mistakes, further deepening the well of futures for the next five years. Dorion wouldn't even need to make one call...the moment it got out that Ottawa is below the cap, other teams' GMs will be calling them.

But Ottawa already has one of the deepest and most talented pools of guys under 24. You can't develop them all if you have no room for them.

Ottawa is in the position to do a quantity for quality deal. Not the other way around.

Ottawa would be looking to package prospects for good roster players as opposed to unloading stars just to have an even bigger logjam of prospects. Makes no sense. At all. You gotta think of these things from the other teams perspective too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad