Proposal: Chabottom Girls Make The RocKing World Go 'Round: L.A. + OTT + ARI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Yeah, and in my view there are only 10 starters and 10 backups. The rest are ECHL in my view because screw facts.

What? I’m saying just because I can’t name fifteen better defensemen doesn’t necessarily make him a 1D. If I couldn’t name ANY better defensemen than him, it doesn’t make him a 1D either.

And vice versa, if I can name 50 defensemen better it doesn’t make him a 2D. Just my opinion, there isn’t only 32 #1C in the league.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What? I’m saying just because I can’t name fifteen better defensemen doesn’t necessarily make him a 1D. If I couldn’t name ANY better defensemen than him, it doesn’t make him a 1D either.

And vice versa, if I can name 50 defensemen better it doesn’t make him a 2D. Just my opinion, there isn’t only 32 #1C in the league.

Then I gather you go by a strange definition for a #1 defenseman if it isn't "a #1 defenseman" lol every team has one.

You can either go by the exact definition as, every teams best defenseman.

Or you can go by 0-32, 33-64, etc.

Anything else is very strange and subjective and muddys the waters for no reason at all other then to just be difficult.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Define "years away from contention" are you talking 4-5 years? They can contend for the playoffs as early as next year IMO. Heck without a bad start last year, they could have made it interesting. By the time Clarke/Turcotte are relevant (2-3 years) we have wasted term on contracts for Tkachuk, Batherson, Chabot, etc. We don't need to get younger, we need to get more experienced. Plus our prospect cupboards are already full..Sanderson, Boucher, JDB, Thomson, Greig, Jarventie, Kleven, Crookshank, Sokolov, etc...

The teams that contend have a good mix of young and experienced good players. The young guns push the vets with new energy and the vets show the younger guys how to stay composed under pressure and win.

How long will Murray be the #1 goalie?

I'd be surprised if they made the playoffs this year or next... maybe the 3rd year they're a playoff team, and by year 4 they're contenders

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
But Ottawa already has one of the deepest and most talented pools of guys under 24. You can't develop them all if you have no room for them.

Ottawa is in the position to do a quantity for quality deal. Not the other way around.

Ottawa would be looking to package prospects for good roster players as opposed to unloading stars just to have an even bigger logjam of prospects. Makes no sense. At all. You gotta think of these things from the other teams perspective too.

Ottawa is missing top tier elite prospects at key positions such as 1C and 1RHD. They have a lot of prospects altogether though.

Very likely Ottawa will have to make more than one multiple futures for one key piece deals. So in their case, there’s almost no such thing as too many.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Ottawa is missing top tier elite prospects at key positions such as 1C and 1RHD. They have a lot of prospects altogether though.

Very likely Ottawa will have to make more than one multiple futures for one key piece deals. So in their case, there’s almost no such thing as too many.

You should give Shane Pinto a watch some time. 14 games played and he looks like he’s played 200. Will he be a top-10 franchise C? Probably not, but he and Norris are absolutely fine as 1A and 1B centers.

Reactions: YP44

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
You should give Shane Pinto a watch some time. 14 games played and he looks like he’s played 200. Will he be a top-10 franchise C? Probably not, but he and Norris are absolutely fine as 1A and 1B centers.

I see a lot of Ryan O’Reilly in Pinto.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, and in my view there are only 10 starters and 10 backups. The rest are ECHL in my view because screw facts.

Not referring to your current discussion, but this society trend has gotten worse and became extremely annoying over the years.

This is what HF think about this. Of course, there's going to be varying degrees of quality among the #1 D-men but saying there's only 15 No.1 is lowballing

Defencemen Rankings #30

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Not referring to your current discussion, but this society trend has gotten worse and became extremely annoying over the years.

This is what HF think about this. Of course, there's going to be varying degrees of quality among the #1 D-men but saying there's only 15 No.1 is lowballing

Defencemen Rankings #30

Yeah it was just hyperbolic to use as an example. I just mean there can be more or less than 32 #1Ds currently playing.

Just like there are definitely more than 32 1Cs

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah it was just hyperbolic to use as an example. I just mean there can be more or less than 32 #1Ds currently playing.

Just like there are definitely more than 32 1Cs

Depends what your definition of #1 defenseman is.

Every team has their own #1 defenseman. Some better than others. Some teams #2 are better than other teams #1.

That's why the easiest way is to just go black and white. Assume there are 32 1st line centers. 32 2nd line centers. 32 3rd line centers. 32 4th line centers. Thats a much clearer way to look at things.

If you're in the upper half of you're ranking, you're an above average player of that position, and if you're in the lower half, you're a below average player in that position.

For example. 10th rank center would be above average 1st line center but 25 would be below average first line center.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Depends what your definition of #1 defenseman is.

Every team has their own #1 defenseman. Some better than others. Some teams #2 are better than other teams #1.

That's why the easiest way is to just go black and white. Assume there are 32 1st line centers. 32 2nd line centers. 32 3rd line centers. 32 4th line centers. Thats a much clearer way to look at things.

I understand that’s the simplest and clearest way to look at things, makes it very clear cut and distinct.

However it’s just so hard to use a metric that categorizes Malkin and Draisatl in the same tier as Tage Thompson and Pius Suter.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I understand that’s the simplest and clearest way to look at things, makes it very clear cut and distinct.

However it’s just so hard to use a metric that categorizes Malkin and Draisatl in the same tier as Tage Thompson and Pius Suter.

It does if you use the literal definition, but not if you use the ranking 1-32 definition.

Unless you think those guys are in the top 32 centers in the league??

Basically, you should use the very literal definition only when ranking each team's 1st line centers.

Otherwise you should always use 1-32, 33-64, etc

This "there are 20 first line centers but 70 second line centers" is just confusing AF and subjective and different for everyone. We should try to achieve a common ground and this definition makes it impossible.

Reactions: Akrapovince

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad