CFL 2024

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Gregor started his show today saying zero chance Jones gets fired 😂😂🤡🤡

The most connected media personality in Edmonton... :sarcasm:

As a casual fan, this is good news. Elks have hit rock bottom and then dug themselves even further down. Needs to be some sort of improvement at some point, especially since they are one of the few cash cows in this ailing league

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
….The only three coaches with a worse winning percentage while still getting to 32 games (2 seasons) includes such shining examples as Annis Stukis (BC 1954-55, 6-26 record), Ron Lancaster (Sask 1979-1980 4-28 record), Jeff Reinbold (WPG, 1997-98, 6-26 record),

Who names their kid Annis?

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Honestly, considering everything that has happened, the fatigue of the oilers run, the pitiful state of the teams ability to play football, the price of tickets that is not aligned with the value being provided, I’d say it’s not all that bad. Shows there may be life yet in this franchise in my opinion. Not saying it’s great, but over 15k is probably a win right now, and maybe they can claw over 20 with a new owner bump. This is not an overnight fix, but this is an event town, people will come if you give them a reason. Apparently the tail gating is still going strong too.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
My view is that he was a good and maybe even really good coach, but a f***ing horrendous, and I mean horrendous General Manager. When the two got blended he quickly went off the deep end.

He was still a good coach in Saskatchewan while also being a pretty good GM after a rocky first season there. So he could at least do an adequate job in both roles as recently as 2019. He went to absolute shit at both jobs in just three years, it was shocking really.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I remember reading stories about this guy in the 70’s when I was a kid. He was Greek and spoke broken English. He was kind of out there. He was a kicker and not particularly athletic towards the end of his career. He was famous for wearing his wristwatch during games and smoking cigarettes in the huddle and when he was kicking field goals. One of my favourite stories of his was his teammates thought it would be funny to direct snap the ball to him on a field goal attempt without telling him about it first. He got crushed on the play and his beloved wristwatch was broken. He was mad as hell and wanted his teammates to pay for it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Damn, 70 year season ticket holder passed away. Love this bit ", his 75 years of faithfully watching Edmonton Eskimos football team (not the Elks!"

Heard this on 630 ched, but was sure if I heard it right.

I have never heard anything in my life about potential future owners signing off on moves. Makes one wonder what else they are signing off on lol

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Damn, 70 year season ticket holder passed away. Love this bit ", his 75 years of faithfully watching Edmonton Eskimos football team (not the Elks!"

I have never heard anything in my life about potential future owners signing off on moves. Makes one wonder what else they are signing off on lol
Me either--if you have made no formal financial commitment to buy a business then you don't have any say in the matter.

What a bizarre situation this has become. Hopefully a new owner can bring some sanity to bear.

Reactions: Valhallis

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He's also Edmonton's first official coach, he had slightly better results going 19-23 from 1949-1951.

The coach of the year award is also named after him.

Ultimately, I guess those stats just show sometimes even good coaches occasionally have a terrible stint with a team. Even Don Matthews had a couple bad stints in his career.

Watching on tv that crowd didn’t look anywhere close to 18k. With the upper bowl now closed capacity would be around 30k. Whenever the cameras panned over the seats it looked like only 20% of that lower bowl was filled at best.

It's weird. Being in the building it felt like the best crowd of the season, but when I watched clips on TV it looked empty. I sit on the side that usually is seen on TV so maybe the distribution East vs West was off.

Small crowd or big crowd, I will say that was the best atmosphere so far this year (until every one lost their minds at the end).

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I remember reading stories about this guy in the 70’s when I was a kid. He was Greek and spoke broken English. He was kind of out there. He was a kicker and not particularly athletic towards the end of his career. He was famous for wearing his wristwatch during games and smoking cigarettes in the huddle and when he was kicking field goals. One of my favourite stories of his was his teammates thought it would be funny to direct snap the ball to him on a field goal attempt without telling him about it first. He got crushed on the play and his beloved wristwatch was broken. He was mad as hell and wanted his teammates to pay for it.
That’s a typical Stukis story. He was a bit like Don Cherry (colourful, outspoken) and found his way from the playing field to the broadcast booth on CTV.

Reactions: rboomercat90

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I wouldn't say it's that weird if we're down to one or two potential options and the delays on the announcement are related to some technicalities. Ultimately, it's committing whoever the new owner is to a decision that will cost the new owners at least a few bucks.

What's especially annoying at this point is that one of the last moves of Jones' tenure was throwing away this year's first round pick for a supplemental draft pick.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Funny tidbit from the game, there was a beach ball being tossed around the crowd, and it eventually fell on the track, a security guard grabs the ball (everyone is hoping it gets thrown back into the crowd) but they pull out their knife and pop it and the crowd boo'd the guard.

Probably not allowed to have a ball but the team sucks and that stupid ball actually made some people enjoy the game, but can't allow any fun.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Funny tidbit from the game, there was a beach ball being tossed around the crowd, and it eventually fell on the track, a security guard grabs the ball (everyone is hoping it gets thrown back into the crowd) but they pull out their knife and pop it and the crowd boo'd the guard.

Probably not allowed to have a ball but the team sucks and that stupid ball actually made some people enjoy the game, but can't allow any fun.
You can thank Karen

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He's also Edmonton's first official coach, he had slightly better results going 19-23 from 1949-1951.

The coach of the year award is also named after him.

Ultimately, I guess those stats just show sometimes even good coaches occasionally have a terrible stint with a team. Even Don Matthews had a couple bad stints in his career.

It's weird. Being in the building it felt like the best crowd of the season, but when I watched clips on TV it looked empty. I sit on the side that usually is seen on TV so maybe the distribution East vs West was off.

Small crowd or big crowd, I will say that was the best atmosphere so far this year (until every one lost their minds at the end).
I thought the crowd sounded loud while watching the tv broadcast too.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Watching on tv that crowd didn’t look anywhere close to 18k. With the upper bowl now closed capacity would be around 30k. Whenever the cameras panned over the seats it looked like only 20% of that lower bowl was filled at best.
Yeah, it's paid attendance which includes no-show season ticket holders and no-show single/multi game purchasers. Once it's paid, it's counted in the number.

Last edited:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Thought it was the best crowd of the year. Closing the upper bowl certainly make the atmosphere better as people are closer together. Lower bowl was probably about half full so 18k paid attendance sounds about right.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Actually pretty typical that operations of an organization get “frozen” (kept status quo) when an ownership transfer is well on the way to reality.

Large decisions that could affect the longer term operations, reputation, value of the org would have to be vetted through the prospective owners.Failure to do so could cause a material breach in altering the asset for sale and the others could then potentially walk away from the purchase. Shareholders would be all over a BoD if that were to occur.

This involvement by new ownership before the transfer is fully passed happens in all business with regularity.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Actually pretty typical that operations of an organization get “frozen” (kept status quo) when an ownership transfer is well on the way to reality.

Large decisions that could affect the longer term operations, reputation, value of the org would have to be vetted through the prospective owners.Failure to do so could cause a material breach in altering the asset for sale and the others could then potentially walk away from the purchase. Shareholders would be all over a BoD if that were to occur.

This involvement by new ownership before the transfer is fully passed happens in all business with regularity.

Bingo - "operating in the normal course" is a standard clause that instantly turfs deals if there are major breaches that aren't communicated with the other side in advance.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Me either--if you have made no formal financial commitment to buy a business then you don't have any say in the matter.

What a bizarre situation this has become. Hopefully a new owner can bring some sanity to bear.
If they have signed an LOI of course you would run the decision by them. Last thing you would do as a board is a make a decision that may blow up a pending deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad