CFL 2024

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
With this team's track record of finding insanely stupid ways to lose, I actually think this is a f*** up as well. I'd put their odds of winning on the convert much, much higher than actually managing to get through OT winning a series on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, I probably lean your way. The modern successful NFL coach given an opportunity to win the game outright on a single play takes it every time.

I personally think they should have gone for the 2, but felt that compared to most of the other f***ups this was at least a play you can sort of understand, especially if true that the plan was actually for Bede to kick it really hard hoping for his second kickoff single of the game.

Reactions: K1984

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Jones is now down to a 0.195 Winning Percentage in this current tenure as Head Coach, which is officially the worst tenure for any coach to have a tenure longer than 32 games.

The only three coaches with a worse winning percentage while still getting to 32 games (2 seasons) includes such shining examples as Annis Stukis (BC 1954-55, 6-26 record), Ron Lancaster (Sask 1979-1980 4-28 record), Jeff Reinbold (WPG, 1997-98, 6-26 record),

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
it's not like we're getting blown out this time Bede just made two really bad mistakes

They need Mumford in there

I have a feeling Mumford would drain the remainder of the "rainy day fund" that the team has been floating themselves off of for the last 5 years.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It's probably a hot take in here but I don't think MBT has been bad really. The team around him has been a dumpster fire at all positions but he's more or less come as advertised.

Reactions: Stoneman89

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

This is the worst part and completely idiotic. If we had a stalwart defence we might actually be able to finish around .500 or better even with a pop gun QB. Instead we pay pop-gun QB's massive money AND play musical chairs on D.

You would think that the lesson would be learned to not do this after the first year, but he keeps going back to the well 3 years in a row.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is the worst part and completely idiotic. If we had a stalwart defence we might actually be able to finish around .500 or better even with a pop gun QB. Instead we pay pop-gun QB's massive money AND play musical chairs on D.

You would think that the lesson would be learned to not do this after the first year, but he keeps going back to the well 3 years in a row.

Back to back games the offense has marched down the field to tie the games in their last possession only to see the defense immediately give up plays with greater than 25 net yards to immediately get into field goal position.

The only issue I'm having with the offense is horrific clock management in the last three losses where better clock management by the offense likely doesn't allow the opponents to be even be in field goal range for the last play.

The defense however in every game this year has surrendered at least one big play inside the 3 minute warning to secure the loss.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Back to back games the offense has marched down the field to tie the games in their last possession only to see the defense immediately give up plays with greater than 25 net yards to immediately get into field goal position.

The only issue I'm having with the offense is horrific clock management in the last three losses where better clock management by the offense likely doesn't allow the opponents to be even be in field goal range for the last play.

The defense however in every game this year has surrendered at least one big play inside the 3 minute warning to secure the loss.
Baby steps. At least the offense is doing something good to keep the team in the games.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Yikes, this Elks curse is like something out of the worst of the B grade horror movies. Hard to believe that for 40 years the good ship Eskimo was the flagship of the CFL.
The Eskimos lost 7 of their last 9 games (attendance dipped too) before the name change so this constant harping about the Elks name and the supposed curse in here has become downright silly at this point.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind them giving the "entire" fanbase a compromise and call them the Esks or Eskies.

You can forget about the original name. Good Ole Alaska no longer uses the term as well and find it an offensive term

I don't make the rules. It's the world we live in today.

I still support the team for it's better having one than none at all.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Eskimos lost 7 of their last 9 games (attendance dipped too) before the name change so this constant harping about the Elks name and the supposed curse in here has become downright silly at this point.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind them giving the "entire" fanbase a compromise and call them the Esks or Eskies.

You can forget about the original name. Good Ole Alaska no longer uses the term as well and find it an offensive term

I don't make the rules. It's the world we live in today.

I still support the team for it's better having one than none at all.
Do you think that "Esks" or "Eskies" would be acceptable to the new standards?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Do you think that "Esks" or "Eskies" would be acceptable to the new standards?

It won't be because it's a common sense compromise position against people that are fundamentally against compromise in any form.

"Empire" got scrapped because it was *gasp* a little too colonial for their tastes. If appeasing these fools is the goal then "Elks" is likely sadly the best that anyone can do.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It won't be because it's a common sense compromise position against people that are fundamentally against compromise in any form.

"Empire" got scrapped because it was *gasp* a little too colonial for their tastes. If appeasing these fools is the goal then "Elks" is likely sadly the best that anyone can do.
The point I am trying to make here is that changing it to something so close to the original name probably stirs up the same controversy and anger as before so why bother? The team is almost broke and can't afford a re-brand anyway.

I agree that if you want to keep the EE symbol then Elks is probably the best you can do so leave it and move on.

Its interesting that for all those years I always just referred to the team as the "Esks" or "Eskies" anyway and rarely used the term Eskimos. In a world without social media these 2 terms might actually be a workable compromise but the radicals will always charge in to try and decapitate the moderates.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What the hell is a name change going to do at this point? Was saying all off-season that this club needs to come on strong in the standings to start before summer comes.

Now they are 0-5 and have to deal with other summer events. Yesterday they had soccer to go up against and the Stampede, next home game is the first weekend of the Olympics. Have no idea what they are going against August 11th, but I'm sure there is some event in Edmonton that weekend.

There is simple nothing the team is doing on the field to get any sort of casual fans to break from their normal routine and go to a game right now. Let alone if there are other activities going on in around Edmonton.

Heck the Riverhawks seem to be more talk of the town than the Elks at this point.

Outlook not good at all for this club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad