Line Combos: Lineup for 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Two interesting scenarios:
1) everyone stays healthy and we make the playoffs
2) we have massive injuries and pick bottom 5 again

Both scenarios are exciting to me. I just hate the middle of the road scenario where we win a bit more but end up out of the playoff race.
I think any scenario, from drafting 5OA to making the playoffs is interesting. A pick in the early 10's could give us another important piece to round up our rebuild. If we iss the playoiffs by 1 spot or 2 and draft 15OA-16OA after a fairly healthy season, i'd use the pick and our draft capital to move up the draft or simply trade it for a missing piece.

Really the coming season and next summer will surely be interesting. I think the most important parts will be to stay healthy (Dach, Newhook, Caufield, Laine) and see young guys like Slaf and Hutson (maybe Mailloux) improving during the season.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Everybody is talking about PP units, but what about PK? I am little concerned about it as we do not have a lot of suitable guys.
Last season we had
PK1: Matheson - Savard - Evans - Armia
PK2: Guhle - Barron - Suzuki - Dvorak

We can keep it going, but we will be in trouble year later when we could lose 4 out of 8 pieces. Do we even have suitable players in the pipeline? I see Beck, Kapanen maybe Roy? Should we try to integrate Xhekaj instead Matheson and Roy instead Dvorak. Should we extend Evans and Armia?
Yeah i agree. That's why i am advocating for getting a defensively sounded top 4 RHD. Matheson shouldn't have a spot on an effective PK unit. Long term, we should be great with Guhle and Reinbacher as our 1st unit but after that, it's getting complicated with Hutson, Xhekaj and Mailloux.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Yeah i agree. That's why i am advocating for getting a defensively sounded top 4 RHD. Matheson shouldn't have a spot on an effective PK unit. Long term, we should be great with Guhle and Reinbacher as our 1st unit but after that, it's getting complicated with Hutson, Xhekaj and Mailloux.
Agree that Reinbacher- Guhle would be great there. Barron is already PK2, so he might be able to handle that if he really establishes himself with Habs. Xhekaj or Struble might handle LD as well, but I am more concerned about forwards. Beck - Roy, Suzuki - Kapanen?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Agree that Reinbacher- Guhle would be great there. Barron is already PK2, so he might be able to handle that if he really establishes himself with Habs. Xhekaj or Struble might handle LD as well, but I am more concerned about forwards. Beck - Roy, Suzuki - Kapanen?
Suzuki and Roy no problem. Beck and Kapanen we will see. They certainly have the background. But also, this kind of player is really easy to find on the trade market or UFA. I wouldn't be too much concerned about that.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Dach - Laine
Roy - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gallagher
Pezzeta - Heineman

Matheson - Guhle (man, poor Guhle wtf is this...)
Hutson/Struble - Savard
Xhekaj/Hutson - Barron/Struble

Montembeault
Primeau

Pretty good top 6 with a very boom/bust 2nd line. In talent, they're up there with almost any 2nd line in the league honestly. Dach and Newhook are good and decent two-way players respectively and will balance Laine's more lackadaisical defensive efforts. I like Roy with Dvorak and Armia on the 3rd line, I think he drives the line really well with those two and make them shine. They also should play better than usual since this is their last potential large payday as UFAs. The 4th line is a coin toss. If Gallagher sustains his level of play in the last 25 games and Anderson somewhat rebounds, it's a great one. I'm not holding my breath though

The defence is poor, definitely bottom 5 in the league, maybe even bottom 3. Playing Guhle at 1RD feels so wrong, but it's still the best call. The bottom 4 is so green. If Matheson, Hutson, Barron and Xhekaj all play in a game, it's gonna be high event hockey... For this reason, I expect Struble to lock himself a spot as he's pretty reliable

The goaltending is league average which is a good thing

All in all, I can see them trying to fight for a playoff spot and falling short. This team is better than the sum of its parts. The offence is starting to look pretty good. I can see Laine coming with a chip on his shoulder. This will also be a boost for team moral

In the end, Laine could be a bigger acquisition than any of this summer UFA's signings

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
If you balance the top 9

CC-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Laine-Dvorak-Anderson

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
can't have Laine on the 3rd line he came here to play a top 6 role
i guess your right.

But each line needs a , Playmaker, Sniper and a power forward

Sniper : CC, Roy, Laine
Playmaker : Suzuki, Dach, **Dvorak (ok not the best)
Power forward with speed : Slaf, Anderson, Newhook

Reactions: Habs4Life

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Caulfield-Suzuki-Slaf
Armia-Dach-Lane
Newhook-Dvorak-Roy/Heineman
Anderson -Evans-Gallagher
Pez - waiver claim

Matheson-Savard
Ghule-Barron
Wifi-trade
Waiver claim

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wow the line combos exercise just got a lot more fun!

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Laine-Dach-Roy
Dvorak-Newhook-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gally

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Barron

PP1 (2/3 of PP time)

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf-Laine-Matheson

PP2 (1/3 of PP time)

Newhook-Dach-Roy-Hutson
Armia in front of the net

Wow this is actually a fun lineup!! The boring/underperforming players (Dvo/gally/anderson/evans) are relegated to secondary role.

I think we start the year on absolute fire and squeeze into the playoffs…the guys will be extremely motivated.
You got Mailloux ahead of Reinbacher?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Not to be dramatic but if
Slaf-Suzuki-Laine

isn't the line, I'm going to riot. It has been awfully clear that Caufield is the weak link on the top line for quite a moment now, let him feast on second rate competition with Dach and Roy as his linemates.

I think they are headed towards that, but Laine will have to dethrone Caufield. They wont go with that from the beginning IMO.

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think they are headed towards that, but Laine will have to dethrone Caufield. They wont go with that from the beginning IMO.
Caufield dethroned himself with his season last year. We can't have a second line quality forward on the top line, it's been 30 years of that. If Laine is Laine, it's Laine.

What about next year?

Caufield- Suzuki- Slaf
Laine - Dach - X
X - Crosby - Demidov
Laine-Suzuki-Slaf
Roy-Crosby-Demidov
Caufield-Dach-Newhook

Find a way to get a very strong defensive 4th line so that Crosby/Dach can be exploitation lines and f***ing win the cup.

Reactions: DAChampion

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Caufield dethroned himself with his season last year. We can't have a second line quality forward on the top line, it's been 30 years of that. If Laine is Laine, it's Laine.
Caufield is more likely to bounce back (Weird to say given he set career highs across the board) and score 40 then Laine is.

Now I'm sure over the course of the season we will all sorts of combos and Hughes said as much during his PC. Stylistically I think Laine is probably a better fit with Dach then Suzuki and generally speaking you don't actually want to put your 3 best offensive players on a line together as there's more value to be had spreading the offence out.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
i guess your right.

Laine has to be on the top or second line................you have Roy there?
He will not be in the top 6 unless there is an injury.
Top 9 yes for sure with Roy.
Slaf on the 3rd line???

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
i guess your right.

Don't mean to be rude but this concept comes from video games and not real life. Suzuki's probably the 3rd best sniper on the team, Slaf is to varying degrees all 3, Dach is right up there with Slaf as the team's top PF, etc...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not to be dramatic but if
Slaf-Suzuki-Laine

isn't the line, I'm going to riot. It has been awfully clear that Caufield is the weak link on the top line for quite a moment now, let him feast on second rate competition with Dach and Roy as his linemates.
Caufield put up numbers I'm the last quarter of the season playing with those two. Sure I have no problem trying other combos. But that line was clicking. Plus we'll see if Caufield is just better this year with more time removed from his shoulder surgery. Often players need a year to get back to normal.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Konuyshkov is an RD.

I would still go BPA. Whichever player we draft likely isn't an impact player until many years down the line anyways.

Why not 2024-2025 with the 3 legit scoring lines:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Dvorak
Roy - Newhook - Armia
Gally - Evans - Anderson
Pez

Two defensive forwards lining up with Laine nukes the chance of any offensive creativity. Could work for a short stint if in a pinch. Highly doubt it becomes a permanent fixture.

Armia (puck possession), Roy (offense IQ) or Newhook (speed) would be better choices and should be auditioning for that spot. In fact, regardless of Laine, they still need to audition to lineup with Dach.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Caufield is more likely to bounce back (Weird to say given he set career highs across the board) and score 40 then Laine is.

Now I'm sure over the course of the season we will all sorts of combos and Hughes said as much during his PC. Stylistically I think Laine is probably a better fit with Dach then Suzuki and generally speaking you don't actually want to put your 3 best offensive players on a line together as there's more value to be had spreading the offence out.
Stylistically Dach Caufield and Roy would be much better for each other. You can plug anyone on Suz and Slafs wing and there's no one else I'd rather have than a guy as skilled as Laine. He also opens up space because he is powerful.

Caufield is a lot more active in his roaming than Laine is, that opens up space for Roy and Dach opens up space for both. I don't think it's close for the matchups.

It's also unsure if Laine-Suzu-Slaf are the 3 best offensive players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad