Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

PepeBostones

Mar 3, 2002
The Bruins won three Stanley Cups in 1929, 1939 and 1941, went to the finals in 1927, 1930 and finished with best regular season record in 1930, 1931 and 1938, 1939, 1940 and 1941. Incredible!!

Eddie Shore and the boys collected half of the Bruins hardware in the history of the franchise during the first 20 years. They deserve more space IMO. Heard so many stories about those great teams and players.

Keep in mind they lost Frank Brimsek, Milt Schmidt, Bobby Bauer, Woody Dumart, Roy Conacher and a bunch of kids for three years 1943-1945 due to WWII. All were in their prime. Could have meant another three Cup wins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am going to attack this alphabetically on who was at least worthy of being considered.

I am not saying the players I am linking to should be on the list but should get a look.

A Bob Armstrong Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

B Charlie Burns Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Lyndon Byers Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

C Gregory Campbell Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

E Pat Egan Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

G Hal Gill Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

H Steve Heinze Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Jim Henry Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

K Chris Kelly Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

L Hal Laycoe Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Normand Leveille Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

M Craig MacTavish Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Shawn McEachern Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Adam McQuaid Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

O Murray Oliver Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

W Mike Walton Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Tommy Williams Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
If Norm Leveille career wasn't cut short at such a young age, he would be a consideration. IMO
I remember watching him play, thought he was going to be a good one, but a Brain Aneurysm ended his career at 19. I felt so bad for him, such a good kid.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Tommy Williams and Harry Sinden hated each other which I suspect cost him a slot.

I will take a deeper dive later.

Thanks for the info. Never knew about Williams and Sinden's riff.

Williams won Gold on the 1960 US Olympic Team, but he had horrible misfortune
in life.

While with the North Stars at age 30, his wife was found dead in her vehicle. Never determined whether suicide or accident. His son died at 23, after being signed by Boston. Williams passed from a heart attack at age 51. So sad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the info. Never knew about Williams and Sinden's riff.

Williams won Gold on the 1960 US Olympic Team, but he had horrible misfortune
in life.

While with the North Stars at age 30, his wife was found dead in her vehicle. Never determined whether suicide or accident. His son died at 23, after being drafted by Boston. Williams passed from a heart attack at age 51. So sad.
@KillerMillerTime - The beef Harry had with Williams dates back to the 1960 Olympics

Sinden resented that Williams got to play in the NHL and he didn't. I know for a fact that Ed Sandford wanted to make Williams an off-ice official in Boston and Sinden said no.

I met Tommy one night in a bar/pizza joint he owned in Hudson, MA circa 1985 and I simply said 'I remember when you played for the B's' and he barked 'What was my number?' and I replied 11. I wound up crashing at his house.

I said from the get-go you had seventy players who were locks and 71-100 would be open to a debate and that is where we are.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bobby Milller? And McAvoy? I get it, they want players that are more recent.
Good to see Fernie and Teddy Green on it.

You had to figure you were going to get some version of the top 6-18 players from the Cup Champions.

Pre Orr Cup Champs had at least 7

1970/72. had looks like 18

2011 had 14

The 1974-78 Finalists not part of 1970-72 had 7

The 1988/90 Finalists not part of 1978 had at least 10

The 2013\19 Finalist not part of 2011 have 3. Arguments can be made
IMO for Carlo and to a lesser extent Coyle and DeBrusk.

So The Cup Champion Teams plus Finalists losing teams from 1974 on had
minimum 58 players (58%).

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bobby Milller? And McAvoy? I get it, they want players that are more recent.
Good to see Fernie and Teddy Green on it.

7 defensemen from the 1970\72 Cup Champions were named. Smith's, Awrey, Doak,
Vadnais, Green and off course Orr.

7 Dmen off Cup Teams known for offense IMO is excessive. However both Doak and R. Smith played on I believe 3 Cup Finalists and played on teams that spanned
1969-70 through 1979-80. Though they had other stops in between. IMO Vadnais should have been left off and Murray Oliver added.

Maybe they should have traded Ted Donato and his "Price Is Right" appearance
for Tommy Williams and his "I've Got A Secret" spot!!!

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I am going to attack this alphabetically on who was at least worthy of being considered.

I am not saying the players I am linking to should be on the list but should get a look.

A Bob Armstrong Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

B Charlie Burns Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Lyndon Byers Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

C Gregory Campbell Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

E Pat Egan Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

G Hal Gill Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

H Steve Heinze Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Jim Henry Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

K Chris Kelly Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

L Hal Laycoe Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Normand Leveille Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

M Craig MacTavish Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Shawn McEachern Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Adam McQuaid Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

O Murray Oliver Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

W Mike Walton Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com
Tommy Williams Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

No Billy Guerin? More games and way more goals and points than McEachern.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Kinda sad Pat Egan not included. I personally got to know him when I was young. Aside from playing for the team he was the ‘go to guy’ for anyone traded here. Including Bucyk. Theyd stay at his house in Arlington until they could get settled.
Pat also was the fill in guy for color guy when Johnny Pierson had his annual furniture trip away from the broadcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad