Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m dedicating this thread to @Fenway since it seems like a topic he’d focus on.

I mean that as a compliment!

With the Centennial Season approaching, how does that impact the path that the Bruins’ front office pursues moving forward?

I’d imagine that ownership wants year 100 to be a big celebration, and the team on the ice being in contention for a playoff berth is probably a must for Charlie J.

That’s purely speculation on my part.

However, my hunch is that this blocks Sweeney from pursuing a rebuild by moving the likes of Marchand, Hall, Ullmark, and Lindholm to help recoup some of the draft capital they invested by going all in this season.

So the focus for this thread is how the Bruins’ branding, especially in terms of the Centennial Season, impacts the path forward for the franchise.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Great timing for this, they can focus on the centennial and put this playoff shit show in the rearview. My sense is that we see no real change and I agree this celebration is a perfectly ‘legit’ way to do that. It can be all about the past (all too few) glories and how great the next 100 will be.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Great timing for this, they can focus on the centennial and put this playoff shit show in the rearview. My sense is that we see no real change and I agree this celebration is a perfectly ‘legit’ way to do that. It can be all about the past (all too few) glories and how great the next 100 will be.
The Red Sox had five championships in their first 100 years. The Bruins have six. Might be nice if the Bruins find a way to tack on a few more like the Sox did.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The Red Sox had five championships in their first 100 years. The Bruins have six. Might be nice if the Bruins find a way to tack on a few more like the Sox did.
Not really a baseball guy anymore, I stopped following around 1990 or so, and I was an Angels fan at that, but it feels to me, anecdotally anyway, that Bruins have had more realistic chances to have done better than that. On board with doing what the Sox did, though, and tack on a few more.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'd be shocked if the Bruins decided to tear it down and rebuild (regardless of the significance of the season). They've invested 100's of millions in the future of this team (Pasta,Mac). They have no draft picks for the next 2 years (to reap the benefits of sucking). And it's just never been their M.O.. They'll ice the best team they can next year, and the year after, and the year after...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
After watching a super stacked team of veterans roll over the league (and then get tossed in the first round), I think the best marketing angle would be to embrace the youth. They can't top this regular season and they can't add more big name vets than they had this year (because of cap space), so really, getting excited about youth is the only angle left.

Swayman, Lohrei, Lauko, Lysell or Merkulov, maybe Steen or McLaughlin, Bussi...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the centennial season really matters from an on-ice perspective. I don't think they have any intention of deviating from the plan they had all along, regardless of how the season ended.

Reactions: UncleRico

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
After watching a super stacked team of veterans roll over the league (and then get tossed in the first round), I think the best marketing angle would be to embrace the youth. They can't top this regular season and they can't add more big name vets than they had this year (because of cap space), so really, getting excited about youth is the only angle left.

Swayman, Lohrei, Lauko, Lysell or Merkulov, maybe Steen or McLaughlin, Bussi...
I could get on board with that. Clear as much space as they need and fill the gaps with young players. Let’s see what we’ve got in the cupboard and hope it’s enough to get through the next 3-4 seasons.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
My sense is they will milk this season for every dollar, and every 4th home game will honor another former player in an attempt to fill seats. Kind of like their number retirement strategy in the early 2000's when the team was struggling and the Bruins forced fans to buy tickets to an extra game to get a ticket to the ceremony game.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'd be shocked if the Bruins decided to tear it down and rebuild (regardless of the significance of the season). They've invested 100's of millions in the future of this team (Pasta,Mac). They have no draft picks for the next 2 years (to reap the benefits of sucking). And it's just never been their M.O.. They'll ice the best team they can next year, and the year after, and the year after...

Agreed. The Bruins have done the same thing year after year, for decades. The Centennial I think will only reinforce existing practices. I think with the draft though they will try and recover a couple of picks by dealing the likes of Hall and Gryz - the cap crunch will force their hand if nothing else. They're not going to get high firsts, but they can at least get something to increase their chances of landing a decent prospect or two who might turn into a solid player.

In a perverse way, part of me actually wishes the Bruins had a genuinely terrible season, maybe two. Something that obliges management to make more significant changes and a more thorough overhaul of the team. However I would fear that even this would fail to produce a proper course correction, and even if it did the odds are that the Bs would screw it up. Be careful what you wish for I suppose.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I wanted to check in with everyone now that the dust has settled and apathy is sadly setting in. Usually we would all see this as the end of the road for this core and the beginning of a long re-tool throughout the off season.

Except next year is the Boston Bruins 100th Anniversary celebration. This was set to be the after-party and now seems to be the funeral run.

Do you think management and ownership will be forced to go all-in yet again because this is the centennial year? Does next years 'celebration' force ownership and management to re-think this off season?

Does the centennial have any impact on what Patrice Bergeron does?

Can they salvage next season in the eyes of so many fans who see this core now as more along the lines of chokers than performers under pressure?

Will you tune in for centennial events or is it all overshadowed by the end of this season?

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I think they do go all in. Might see krech retire. I think a Bergy come back for on more year. Did a way to sign Bertuzzi. Might see Hall moved and do we move a goalie? Swayman up for contract so do we sign him and have 2 number ones. I say trade one if you can

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The team seems focused on 2024-2025 as the Centennial Year.

While next year is technically the 100th season it will actually be the 99th season because of 2004-2005 not happening.

HOWEVER, the team will release this coffee table book in November

I have heard they want the 2025 All-Star Game and the NHL is exploring an actual game at Mathews Arena as a league-sponsored event.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
Hi all,

I didn't see a good place to post this, so I wanted to create a thread here. With the Fan Foyer going on and the various other Centennial events likely on the horizon, this may be a good discussion spot. I saw a rumor last night that the current home and away sweaters will be retired, and as part of the Centennial Celebration, the Bruins will have a new set of home and away sweaters. Has anyone else heard anything reputable about that? I figured they'd stand pat with the new Fanatics deal coming, but a Centennial Celebration is an excellent time to sharpen up the on-ice brand with a nod toward the past. I'd love to see some of the 80s era sweater elements return.

Luke Woishnis on Twitter (@lukewoishnis) has made some amazing mockups. I'd love to see them replicate something like this:

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Hi all,

I didn't see a good place to post this, so I wanted to create a thread here. With the Fan Foyer going on and the various other Centennial events likely on the horizon, this may be a good discussion spot. I saw a rumor last night that the current home and away sweaters will be retired, and as part of the Centennial Celebration, the Bruins will have a new set of home and away sweaters. Has anyone else heard anything reputable about that? I figured they'd stand pat with the new Fanatics deal coming, but a Centennial Celebration is an excellent time to sharpen up the on-ice brand with a nod toward the past. I'd love to see some of the 80s era sweater elements return.

Luke Woishnis on Twitter (@lukewoishnis) has made some amazing mockups. I'd love to see them replicate something like this:

That black sweater is hot hot hot...wow....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad