Post-Game Talk: Storm the Weather

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He just puts what he wants in place and then shurgs his shoulders when it doesn't work.

On one hand, it would be intriguing to see what he can do with high end talent (which he's never had in Carolina) but I also feel like his system is designed for not having high end talent.

The extent of his coaching adjustments is shaking his head when his team gets called for a penalty. Was a bad sign for canes mindset when Svech got called for diving 5 minutes in after staal absurdly called the Rangers out for it the other day. The refs were listening when he showed them up.

View attachment 868162
I need someone to explain to me how Kreider only had 0.2 xG. In addition to the goal he scored, which itself should be what like 0.75xG, he hit the post on another short handed 2 on 1 and got poked on that breakaway late in the third.

What sense do these stats make?

Thats the thing! They don’t

Reactions: JCProdigy

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
4d6087f774f905685666e3c0b0f4d2da23d65e76.gif

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
View attachment 868162
I need someone to explain to me how Kreider only had 0.2 xG. In addition to the goal he scored, which itself should be what like 0.75xG, he hit the post on another short handed 2 on 1 and got poked on that breakaway late in the third.

What sense do these stats make?

I say the same thing when the stats come back with obvious results- a single game is a really bad way to measure these numbers.

Quantification relies on a large N to be reliable. Advanced stats are better the larger the sample size, and so conclusions good or bad from one game are meaningless.

Reactions: JCProdigy

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Does anyone remember when the Rangers let Stralman walk to TB only to watch him help them take off and be the top team in the NHL for a while? Trochek is giving me Stralman-esque signing vibes, only in reverse.
That was maybe my most hated non-retention of all time! It was so onvious before they did it, his metrics were insane! Good call.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I say the same thing when the stats come back with obvious results- a single game is a really bad way to measure these numbers.

Quantification relies on a large N to be reliable. Advanced stats are better the larger the sample size, and so conclusions good or bad from one game are meaningless.
But if the events the stats are logging are this debatable, all you’re doing by expanding the sample is compounding the error. You’re telling me that a team can have twenty breakaways that get pokechecked and their xG for the game would be 0? That’s just not right.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY

Itwill
My girlfriend is almost 13 weeks pregnan, our son is a f***ing troll (her nausea is next level) and I've woken her for the 2nd time in 3 nights.

To be fair, she did not ask me if they won tonight. She simply opened the door and said "yay!" then closed it and went back to sleep.
My wife takes the early shift and I do the late shit shift with our little guy. Yeah, they both woke up again tonight. Sorry, winning the Stanley Cup takes a lot of effort and cheering.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
The moment that changed the game was when the Goodrow Vesey scrum happened. Canes had all the momentum and they were physical. For some reason when everything calmed down from there, they were neutered.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
This is what Sean Avery was supposed to be.
If Trocheck turns around and waves his hands in front of the Canes goalie in Game 4, I'll buy everyone on these boards a Trocheck x Avery custom jersey. Then I'll remember I'm broke and just delete my account Tob's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad