Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

JayMark

Jul 13, 2022
Gord Kluzak in but Kyle Mclaren left out.
Ted Donato in but Steve Heinze, Bob Sweeney left out.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Can think of a lot of guys I'd have liked to see over Kessel. But rest of the list is so good that you can't really complain. Nice work.

Reactions: bergeronsboys

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
My sense is they will milk this season for every dollar, and every 4th home game will honor another former player in an attempt to fill seats. Kind of like their number retirement strategy in the early 2000's when the team was struggling and the Bruins forced fans to buy tickets to an extra game to get a ticket to the ceremony game.
Nothing was more cynical that retiring #4 before a meaningless game against a Russian team.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
A thread on the history of hockey board about players' careers overlapping got me doing some math, and did you know that even if Bergeron retires, you can chain the entire 100 years of Bruins history in only 8 players?

Milan Lucic played with PJ Axelsson and Glen Murray

Axelsson/Murray both played with Ray Bourque

Bourque played with Wayne Cashman, Gerry Cheevers, and Don Marcotte

Cashman/Cheevers/Marcotte played with Leo Boivin

Boivin played with Milt Schmidt

Schmidt played with Eddie Shore

Shore played with 2 guys who played in the first game in franchise history on December 1st, 1924: Carson Cooper and Jimmy Herbert

That was Eagleson's doing. He had a stake in the game against the Russians, so he demanded the retirement be done then. The Bruins had no choice.
I didn't realize that Eagle was still Orr's rep at that point.

Reactions: rfournier103

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
71 of the 100 played after 1968 (a few such as Bucyk, Ted Green, and EJ played earlier as well). No disrespect for those players, but many of them were either mediocre players or played for the team for only a short period of time. Ridiculous. The first 3 cup teams are badly under-represented.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Gord Kluzak in but Kyle Mclaren left out.
Ted Donato in but Steve Heinze, Bob Sweeney left out.
That 1988 team is looked at with great reverence and Kluzak was at his best then. I don't think it is all coincidence that the best two Bruins teams in the 1980's had a healthy Kluzak. It is worth noting that Bob Sweeney was big in those 88 playoffs as well as was Randy Burridge.

Speaking of defensemen from the 95-05 era, I noticed that Hal Gill is 25th all time in Bruins games played. I think most of the rest of the top 50 made it. Hal has his ring though.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Oliver 3 time top 10 scorer in original six and multi All Star he and Bucyk were unreal together and he’s not on
Lol

I'll be honest Dan, I had to look him up to find out who he is. Looks like he placed 1st or 2nd on the team in points for most of his seasons here. Seems like he fell between the cracks the memories of those that made the list.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'll be honest Dan, I had to look him up to find out who he is. Looks like he placed 1st or 2nd on the team in points for most of his seasons here. Seems like he fell between the cracks the memories of those that made the list.
If they take it serious then he’s on the list but if you want to get guys from the Cup team and last 25 years maybe you forget. I did a list one day screwing around with my brother in law a huge Bruins fan and he was easily in top 75.

Couple of interesting things about him - he was Gordie Howe’s best friend and Howe’s youngest son Murray was named after him and he’s the Godfather to him

Oliver when with Vancouver was the point person to acquire Barry Pederson and trade Boston Neely

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I let out a Muzzzzz when I saw Glen Murray's name.

Happy to see them include Ace Bailey as well as Seidenberg and Mike O'Connell
f*** Mike O’Connell

I dislike him worse then Fenian & Sarge88, do Heinen

He was Harry’s spy and was traded for Al Secord

What he did to Adam Oates was the lowest thing in my 40 seasons as a STH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ok I got all the info I understand now

They will publicly discuss after Oct 12 centennial team

I’ll stop bitching

bergeronsboys

Jan 10, 2014
ON
Seguin makes so much more sense than Kessel in terms of contribution to the franchise. I’d have Chris ‘the cage’ Kelly or Darth Quaider in before both of em.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad