Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The only thing I am interested in are the 100 top players or top 10 games in the 100 year history. All the jersey and merch stuff is to line Jacob's pockets. For New England area fans, you're a lot better off taking any money for merch and donating that amount to your local youth hockey program. At least some kid in your town will benefit instead of contributing to JJ's bank account.

Reactions: bb74

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Nobody asked me but......

What I would love is to have EVERY living Bruins player invited to come on one night like the Red Sox did when Fenway turned 100 in 2012.

That my friends would be magical.

Billy Rohr will forever be linked to Yaz.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I just want to add that one person on the committee wants my input.

1,050 men have played at least ONE game as a Bruin and the team wants it whittled to 100. :help:

Don Cherry only played ONE game as a Bruin but...................

How about Bobby Ring?

Robert Ring (October 6, 1946 – June 22, 2017) was an American professional ice hockey goaltender who played in one National Hockey League game for the Boston Bruins during the 1965–66 NHL season. On October 30, 1965 he was replaced the injured Ed Johnston during an 8-2 loss to the New York Rangers. He graduated from Wakefield High School (Massachusetts), Acadia University, and received his Master's degree from Boston University. He worked for The Phone Company as Director of Human Resources in Boston after his playing career ended

1690188720595.png

71-100 is a total crapshoot.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

1,050 men have played at least ONE game as a Bruin and the team wants it whittled to 100. :help:

How about Bobby Ring?

Robert Ring (October 6, 1946 – June 22, 2017) was an American professional ice hockey goaltender who played in one National Hockey League game for the Boston Bruins during the 1965–66 NHL season. On October 30, 1965 he was replaced the injured Ed Johnston during an 8-2 loss to the New York Rangers. He graduated from Wakefield High School (Massachusetts), Acadia University, and received his Master's degree from Boston University. He worked for The Phone Company as Director of Human Resources in Boston after his playing career ended

View attachment 730788

My biggest fear is players before 1970 will be overlooked.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My biggest fear is players before 1970 will be overlooked.
I agree.

We seem to do that in Boston to one degree or another with all the teams.

Most people don’t realize the Bruins existed for decades before Bobby Orr arrived in ‘66.

The Patriots existed before 2001.

Don’t feel the need to elaborate here.

The Celtics existed before Larry Bird.

Many people know of the Bill Russell era, but most don’t remember because they’re too young.

The Red Sox existed before Ted Williams.

Williams played mostly in the 40s and 50s, but the Red Sox’ stunning lack of success prompted them to glom on to what little they had. That was Ted Williams - one of the greatest players ever. The Red Sox’ glory days of Ruth; Hooper; Speaker; Wagner; and Wood are almost completely overlooked when compared to Ted; Yaz; and the 21st century Red Sox.

Shore; Schmidt; Brimsek; and Thompson (among many others) deserve to be remembered and honored by the Bruins.

As @Fenway has said before, I’m afraid the Bruins will botch this whole season, and the fans won’t even know what they missed. Maybe the pre-1970 players would be better remembered had they won more, but the Bruins have a very colorful history that should not be overlooked.

I really hope they do the team justice, because those players deserve it.

Reactions: BMC

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
i posted in one of the stickies about the bruins changing their logo to celebrate 100 years in the league..

boston-bruins-100th-anniversary-jersey-logo-649b477ec4bc7.jpg

will this mean their jersey will still look the same?

i am hoping that they'll change their road white jersey shoulder yoke from black/gold to gold/black like they did in the old days..
Bruins56.png

Bruins25.png

Reactions: missingchicklet

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
When do we get the uniforms?

I had a dream they weren’t ready for opening night, so they came out wearing the gold reverse retros from 2020.

September 16th reveal. 3 new jerseys. A home, away, and alt. We've already see the new home and away logo but not the alt one yet. Rumors I've heard from people who know people in the know (lol) say it's going to be a brown jersey for the alt.

Screenshot_20230816_071944_Chrome.jpg

• Love
Reactions: smithformeragent

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
September 16th reveal. 3 new jerseys. A home, away, and alt. We've already see the new home and away logo but not the alt one yet. Rumors I've heard from people who know people in the know (lol) say it's going to be a brown jersey for the alt.

View attachment 736443
Hopefully the home and away are V necks.

This is the last year for Adidas and their ridiculous collars which are even worse with the fake tie downs.

Reactions: BMC and KrugAvoy

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
When do we get the uniforms?

I had a dream they weren’t ready for opening night, so they came out wearing the gold reverse retros from 2020.

Should of added this To my original post. Here's a link to all the main events happening this season.

Looks like they are making a giant bear statue to go out next to the Bobby Orr statue too.

Boston Bruins

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

How about Bobby Ring?

View attachment 730788

I was in 5th grade and remember Ring playing and how big a deal it was a local kid
played for Boston. It would be another 3 plus years before the next local
player in Paul Hurley played his one and only NHL game at the end of the
1968-69 season.

Ring was a teammate of Turk Sanderson in Niagara Falls.

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

This article implies the Bruins boast two current Bruins on the Historic 100 and that they are Lucic and McAvoy. I will be hurt if Marchand is not on this list. Reading the article made me feel these were the only current players on the list. Watching the video made me think it was not necesarily limited to those two.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

This article implies the Bruins boast two current Bruins on the Historic 100 and that they are Lucic and McAvoy. I will be hurt if Marchand is not on this list. Reading the article made me feel these were the only current players on the list. Watching the video made me think it was not necesarily limited to those two.
Educated guess Marchand will be announced at the same time he gets the C ( assuming that happens )

Reactions: SPB2776 and HustleB

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That sounds about right. That would be really nice. I wonder how many of the 100 will be around the team this year.

Certainly the usual suspects.

You are picking 100 out of 1050 and the vast majority will be from 1966 to the present.

Look at the list and from 70 to 100 is a crapshoot.

Don Cherry is a perfect example - He only played ONE game but he will get votes.

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Lucic and Marchand are no-brainers to me. McAvoy will be in the best 100 eventually, but has he earned it yet? Not sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad