Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It’s good timing if the on ice product may be taking a step backwards.

People like me who obsess over the aesthetics and have been yearning for a return to the gold B logo and gold socks will gobble up the merch.

Meth bear sold like hotcakes last season.

Now, if only the Sox would bring the red caps back…

Everyone knows that the on-ice product is going to take a massive step back, combined with last year's lesson that the regular season doesn't matter. The Bruins organization really needs something to make fans feel good enough to come back, which is a major reason I want Lucic to come back - the same nostalgia bump applies to the jerseys, if they bring back the 80s/90s style, even for a few games, I'd love to see that and it'd make me make a point to watch that game.

Though it's kind of like when Brady walked and the early reports about the Pats changing their jerseys came out where people like Zolak were floating the rumor that the 90s Bledsoe era ones were coming back and everybody got excited as it would at least mark a change in era visually, but then all we got were shoulder stripes based off the color rush ones and it was as mediocre as the team is. I hope the Bruins don't fall into that trap and tease that the Neely era jerseys are coming back but then half-ass it and only integrate some small portion of it into something new and bland and claim it was "inspired" by our history, etc.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Everyone knows that the on-ice product is going to take a massive step back, combined with last year's lesson that the regular season doesn't matter. The Bruins organization really needs something to make fans feel good enough to come back, which is a major reason I want Lucic to come back - the same nostalgia bump applies to the jerseys, if they bring back the 80s/90s style, even for a few games, I'd love to see that and it'd make me make a point to watch that game.

Though it's kind of like when Brady walked and the early reports about the Pats changing their jerseys came out where people like Zolak were floating the rumor that the 90s Bledsoe era ones were coming back and everybody got excited as it would at least mark a change in era visually, but then all we got were shoulder stripes based off the color rush ones and it was as mediocre as the team is. I hope the Bruins don't fall into that trap and tease that the Neely era jerseys are coming back but then half-ass it and only integrate some small portion of it into something new and bland and claim it was "inspired" by our history, etc.
Someone reported that the royal blues may come back for one game Hall of Fame weekend in October.

Apparently the silver pants are coming back for a couple of games as well.

The Bruins uniforms have become a bit too busy and I’m all about a less is more approach. Other than the Leafs, the rest of the Original 6 clubs are wearing something identical or very very close to their classic looks.

I’d go with either the 70s Big Bad Bruins look or the 80s-Early 90s meth bear shoulders and stick with it.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It’s good timing if the on ice product may be taking a step backwards.

People like me who obsess over the aesthetics and have been yearning for a return to the gold B logo and gold socks will gobble up the merch.

Meth bear sold like hotcakes last season.

Now, if only the Sox would bring the red caps back…

Yeah I get that and I'm not going to lie, the logo they've chosen is nice to see again and I'm genuinely intrigued what jerseys etc. they elect to use throughout the season. But just about everything the Bruins have announced so far has a clear profit-driven motive, and it's not subtle. I know, I know, the franchise exists first and foremost to make money for its owners, but at least give us something else alongside all the sellable stuff that really digs into the history and impact of the team over the decades. Hopefully we get more of that sort of thing in time.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Someone reported that the royal blues may come back for one game Hall of Fame weekend in October.

The Bruins uniforms have become a bit too busy and I’m all about a less is more approach. Other than the Leafs, the rest of the Original 6 clubs are wearing something identical or very very close to their classic looks.

I’d go with either the 70s Big Bad Bruins look or the 80s-Early 90s meth bear shoulders and stick with it.

The jerseys from Robert Gordon's rookie season should be worn multiple times a year.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
A thread on the history of hockey board about players' careers overlapping got me doing some math, and did you know that even if Bergeron retires, you can chain the entire 100 years of Bruins history in only 8 players?

Milan Lucic played with PJ Axelsson and Glen Murray

Axelsson/Murray both played with Ray Bourque

Bourque played with Wayne Cashman, Gerry Cheevers, and Don Marcotte

Cashman/Cheevers/Marcotte played with Leo Boivin

Boivin played with Milt Schmidt

Schmidt played with Eddie Shore

Shore played with 2 guys who played in the first game in franchise history on December 1st, 1924: Carson Cooper and Jimmy Herbert

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON – The Boston Bruins announced today, July 10, that the organization will commemorate its 100th year with the selection of an All-Centennial Team, comprised of the most legendary players in franchise history as voted upon by an independent committee of journalists and media members, historians and members of the hockey community.

The independent selection committee, appointed by the club in June, will be asked to vote for who they believe are the 100 most legendary Boston Bruins players of the organization’s first century. Their votes will be aggregated to create a final list known as the “Historic 100” that will be released in September.

At that time, the selection committee will then gather both in-person and virtually to deliberate and debate as they determine the final 20 players (12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goaltenders) that will comprise the All-Centennial Team.

The All-Centennial Team will be revealed at the Centennial Gala on Thursday, October 12.

Beginning in September, once the “Historic 100” has been announced, fans will also have the opportunity to select and share their own individual All-Centennial Teams using an online portal available through the Bruins website and social media channels. Fans will be able to create, download and share their All-Centennial Team roster cards for friendly debate and discussion across social media.

BOSTON BRUINS ALL-CENTENNIAL TEAM SELECTION COMMITTEE

Ty Anderson, 98.5 The Sports Hub

Dale Arnold, Retired NESN Broadcaster

Amalie Benjamin, NHL.com

John Buccigross, ESPN

Mick Colageo, The Standard-Times

Steve Conroy, Boston Herald

Kevin Paul Dupont, Boston Globe

Jack Edwards, NESN

Mike “Doc” Emrick, Retired Broadcaster

Naoko Funayama, WCVB

Steve Garabedian, NESN

Karen Guregian, MassLive.com

Joe Haggerty, Bruins Beat Reporter

Heidi Holland, Boston Bruins

Richard Johnson, The Sports Museum

Joe McDonald, Bruins Beat Reporter

Scott McLaughlin, WEEI

Rose Mirakian-Wheeler, NESN

Jimmy Murphy, Boston Hockey Now

Matt Porter, Boston Globe

Conor Ryan, Boston.com

Season Ticket Holder Council, Boston Bruins

Fluto Shinzawa, The Athletic

Harry Sinden, Boston Bruins

Judd Sirott, 98.5 The Sports Hub

Dave Stubbs, NHL.com

Rusty Sullivan, The Sports Museum

Kathryn Tappen, TNT

Kevin Weekes, ESPN/NHLN

Brian Zechello, NESN

Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
BOSTON – The Boston Bruins announced today, July 10, that the organization will commemorate its 100th year with the selection of an All-Centennial Team, comprised of the most legendary players in franchise history as voted upon by an independent committee of journalists and media members, historians and members of the hockey community.

The independent selection committee, appointed by the club in June, will be asked to vote for who they believe are the 100 most legendary Boston Bruins players of the organization’s first century. Their votes will be aggregated to create a final list known as the “Historic 100” that will be released in September.

At that time, the selection committee will then gather both in-person and virtually to deliberate and debate as they determine the final 20 players (12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goaltenders) that will comprise the All-Centennial Team.

The All-Centennial Team will be revealed at the Centennial Gala on Thursday, October 12.

Beginning in September, once the “Historic 100” has been announced, fans will also have the opportunity to select and share their own individual All-Centennial Teams using an online portal available through the Bruins website and social media channels. Fans will be able to create, download and share their All-Centennial Team roster cards for friendly debate and discussion across social media.

Amalie Benjamin, NHL.com

John Buccigross, ESPN

Jack Edwards, NESN

Naoko Funayama, WCVB

Steve Garabedian, NESN

Scott McLaughlin, WEEI

Conor Ryan, Boston.com

Dave Stubbs, NHL.com

Kathryn Tappen, TNT

Kevin Weekes, ESPN/NHLN

Brian Zechello, NESN

Putting Murphy on this committee is the worst thing they've done yet. I'd buy 10 wall pucks before I let that guy have an official role

-Slainte

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I agree, but I also loved the alternate white jerseys they had this year. I hope those stick around

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nobody asked me but......

What I would love is to have EVERY living Bruins player invited to come on one night like the Red Sox did when Fenway turned 100 in 2012.

That my friends would be magical.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Amalie Benjamin, NHL.com

John Buccigross, ESPN

Jack Edwards, NESN

Naoko Funayama, WCVB

Steve Garabedian, NESN

Scott McLaughlin, WEEI

Conor Ryan, Boston.com

Dave Stubbs, NHL.com

Kathryn Tappen, TNT

Kevin Weekes, ESPN/NHLN

Brian Zechello, NESN

Were they struggling to find people or something? 1/4 of this list is a dumpster fire

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
No Brick?
Way, way to many strictly media members on this thing. How about Ted Donato along with Brickley? Those two are Boston area ex players, along with Donato being a head coach of one of the Beanpot schools in the local hockey community AND having a son who also played for The Boston Bruins. Can't be more than a handful of ex players that had a son play for the team.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad