Proposal: Ceci to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No, he isn't. Ceci's value is significantly lower than Rielly, Matthews, Nylander or Marner.

I would agree.

It's not really relevant to the OP's original "offer".

Ceci has the makings of a good defenceman and his exit would leave a pretty gaping hole in the roster.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
No, he isn't. Ceci's value is significantly lower than Rielly, Matthews, Nylander or Marner.

For your sanity, I'd refrain from debating with that guy. All you need to do is read our little debate through out this thread to figure out why. I was even warned bur didn't listen haha

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lol no Ive never been to a playoff game in my life other than the ones I've played.

I was too young for the playoff appearances before the 4-1 collapse series so I've never had the chance to go to any playoff games.

I'll secretly cheer on the Sens while I'm here (except when they play the Leafs) and hopefully get to cheer them on through the playoffs.

I don't hate the Sens like I used to because of the Jonathan Pitre story and the fact that Karlsson is just so loveable.

It's all good friend.

It's the summer and we're all a little hockey deprived.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Also, as a Sens fan, I apologize for those who think Ceci's value equals that of Rielly or Matthews.

That's silly.

STOP BEING SILLY, SENS FANS!

Leafs Fans are no better here is a deal some had last year

To Pittsburgh

Lupul
Gardner

To Toronto

Malkin
Fleury

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Mr. HarrisonFord, perhaps you could represent the Leafs franchise and fanbase, and I will represent the Senators franchise and fanbase.

I propose that the acquisition of Cody Ceci by your Toronto Maple Leafs, while desirable to the rebuilding of your on-ice product, does not makes sense for the Ottawa Senators because the likely package of players and/or draft picks offered by your Toronto Maple Leafs does not make sense from a Senators perspective.

Furthermore, I would imagine that the counter proposal from my Ottawa Senators would not make sense to your Toronto Maple Leafs and the admirable rebuilding process that your team has embarked upon.

I applaud your team's dedication to rebuilding properly. I do not look forward to around 3 years from now when Matthews and Marner and Nylander and Rielly and anyone other young player that I have missed are all either very good or legit star players. You shall enjoy those years. I will not.

Let us now conclude this discussion and bid each other farewell.

can a Mod out there in Mod-land please put this thread out of it's miserable misery?

I can sign off on the above. I don't think there's much or anything in terms of 1-for-1 player swaps of our teams that would be of equal value for Ceci

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Fan of neither team,

Ceci FOR Nylander is fair

Nope, it isn't. Nylander has done nothing but proven he's got #1C capabilities, and his play year to year has supported this development path.

Ceci is a great 2nd pairing defenseman. He's not a #1D, he doesn't have that upside either. He does have perhaps #2 upside, but that's not worth a #1C upside player.

I would agree.

It's not really relevant to the OP's original "offer".

Ceci has the makings of a good defenceman and his exit would leave a pretty gaping hole in the roster.

Yup, I'd agree with that. Ceci is pretty integral to your second pairing next year and going forward. He's a very good player, and definitely gets underrated on here.

For your sanity, I'd refrain from debating with that guy. All you need to do is read our little debate through out this thread to figure out why. I was even warned bur didn't listen haha

That's a fair warning :laugh:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Screw you!!! i called you out on you saying something dumb and you continued to deny it .Not my fault you dont have the guts to admit what you said is far off base .Ottawa isnt gonna trade their young top 4 nhl defender for a maybe .Even if that maybe does look good .I dont care what Nylander and the like did in a lessor league ,you arent going to find many a GM that would make this deal .Young proven nhl rhd are worth a ton :nod:

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
Nope, it isn't. Nylander has done nothing but proven he's got #1C capabilities, and his play year to year has supported this development path.

Ceci is a great 2nd pairing defenseman. He's not a #1D, he doesn't have that upside either. He does have perhaps #2 upside, but that's not worth a #1C upside player.

Yup, I'd agree with that. Ceci is pretty integral to your second pairing next year and going forward. He's a very good player, and definitely gets underrated on here.

That's a fair warning :laugh:

Yes it would be fair.
Not that it would happen.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are circumstances where you might trade a Nylander for a Ceci.

Is the team contending now? Do they have a log jam in the prospect pool at forward?

Toronto can afford to wait and see who rises to the challenge among their young players.

Other teams with an aging or weak defensive corps with a closing contending window might make the deal. Ceci is a RHD and teams are paying premiums for them these days.

In this case, I don't see it.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think they'll be interesting comparables going forward.

They're definitely different defenders though. Gardiner's advanced stats are pretty amazing and Ceci's aren't. Though his stats did improve a lot when paired with Dion

There are circumstances where you might trade a Nylander for a Ceci.

Is the team contending now? Do they have a log jam in the prospect pool at forward?

Toronto can afford to wait and see who rises to the challenge among their young players.

Other teams with an aging or weak defensive corps with a closing contending window might make the deal. Ceci is a RHD and teams are paying premiums for them these days.

In this case, I don't see it.

Honestly, the value of Nylander though is just way too high in comparison for Ceci, no matter the situation - and there's no way a 1 for 1 swap would be fair value for Toronto.

Fair 1 for 1 swaps for Nylander would be Werenski, Provorov, etc.

I'm not sure about what Ceci's fair 1 for 1 swap value is, but it's not that

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
How far away is Chabot? I've liked him as a prospect but does he have the top pairing upside?

Connor

Aug 17, 2015

The only people projecting Nylander to be a #1 centre are Leaf fans.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They're definitely different defenders though. Gardiner's advanced stats are pretty amazing and Ceci's aren't. Though his stats did improve a lot when paired with Dion

I think we're dealing with pretty small sample sizes here.

I'd like to see 2-3 seasons with sufficient responsibilities.

Wiercioch had amazing advanced stats and it's pretty unanimous among Sens fans that he's terrible.

HarrisonFord said:
Honestly, the value of Nylander though is just way too high in comparison for Ceci, no matter the situation - and there's no way a 1 for 1 swap would be fair value for Toronto.

I'm still not sure what to make of Nylander. I guess we'll find out.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

For Toronto it would ,for Ottawa this would be reversed.This Ceci doesnt have top pairing upside need to end ,he certainly does.He is currently stuck behind a norris trophy winner.And has dragged non nhl calibre defenders around for his first 2 full nhl seasons ,and hasnt fallen completely in a mire.He isnt finished being developed at all yet ,and he is already a good top 4 defender at 22 years old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad