Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/ARI] Jon Gillies for 2023 6th round pick and Jakub Voracek

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
They’ve never rebuilt for more than 2 and a half seasons without abandoning the rebuild and attempting to squeak into the playoffs. They’ve usually failed. But they’ve always lost their nerve and retreated from a proper rebuild. Always.

This is the first time they seem to be actually doing it. They’ve collected a stunning volume of picks and hired St Louis top scout in Armstrong, TBL’s in Plandowski and Colorado’s in Hepple. They’ve also invested heavily in to their development staff. They’re also actively passing on prospects and young players for picks specifically. And clearly thinking extremely long term by stockpiling ‘25 and ‘26 picks.

Who knows if it’ll work, but it’s certainly interesting.

Armstrong said yesterday he wouldn’t take back any money because he needs that freed up to take on more bad contracts for picks. He literally said “more bad contracts for picks”. Haha.
Maybe not recently, but I certainly remember Arizona picking in or around the top five for most of the mid 2000's.

Reactions: TML1990
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I wonder if it’s good or bad for rebuilding teams to have lots of picks and to pick really early in drafts? Is that good or bad?
Are the Yotes going to plan on having 70 million in dead cap, and then roll out a few ECHLers and a bunch of pylons with Draft Year and Draft Round written onto them? I get it, the Yotes are a "rebuilding team", but they've also been doing the same thing for close to a decade at this point.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am not a bright man, but I was browsing Capfriendly yesterday and I actually thought this was a possibility. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

No too hard to predict the Yotes will take on salary to hit floor though, lol!

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The nhl probably understands whatever financial situation the coyotes has so theyre going to continue to let this ride because they want arizona to have the coyotes. They just shouldnt be rewarded with high draft picks

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Are the Yotes going to plan on having 70 million in dead cap, and then roll out a few ECHLers and a bunch of pylons with Draft Year and Draft Round written onto them? I get it, the Yotes are a "rebuilding team", but they've also been doing the same thing for close to a decade at this point.
Who’s “they”? The new owners or the new front office?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I feel like you’re talking about Arizona, but as a Columbus fan I have to ask…
Bedard in Columbus would suck as a Caps fan, but I don't doubt the Jackets desire to compete and put forth a cup winning team.

Plus Bedard, Johnny Hockey and Laine would be a treat to watch!

Reactions: Fro

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why do they need Voracek’s contract? Why can’t Columbus just keep him on LTIR for the duration of his contract?

What benefit does Arizona get taking on an LTIR? Your owner doesn’t even have money

Arizona won't put him on LTIR, they will put him on regualr IR, so his cap helps them hit the floor.

Reactions: PainForShane

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
I can't wait until they fold this franchise or move it.

I heard on the radio from John Shannon that they get at least 40 mill in revenue sharing and still lose a ton of $$ lol

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
The nhl probably understands whatever financial situation the coyotes has so theyre going to continue to let this ride because they want arizona to have the coyotes. They just shouldnt be rewarded with high draft picks

I think that if you're going to exist just to be a placeholder team in a desirable market, you shouldn't get the benefit of the lottery. Let other teams who actually have the money to dress a competitive roster get the Bedards and Michkovs of the world.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I really hope for everyone sake that he refuse to report to that franchise.
You could see a modern day Lindros.

Except that Arizona is still a far more desirable place to live than Quebec. He knows that he'll still get paid and probably traded down the line if history tell us anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad