Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/ARI] Jon Gillies for 2023 6th round pick and Jakub Voracek

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Why do they need Voracek’s contract? Why can’t Columbus just keep him on LTIR for the duration of his contract?

What benefit does Arizona get taking on an LTIR? Your owner doesn’t even have money
Arizona would likely get a pick, a contract, and credit towards meeting the cap floor for taking on a contract that insurance would cover most of the actual payment on.

Columbus gets cap space in the off-season for when the LTIR cushion isn't applied.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If they’re saving space, and they offer Matthews 7 years max money, does he take it?
I never viewed the Yotes as a serious contender for Matthews. If he's leaving Toronto (big if), I think it's going to be LA or Vegas.

But who knows, a $16 mil/year contract from Arizona can do a lot of convincing.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Why do they need Voracek’s contract? Why can’t Columbus just keep him on LTIR for the duration of his contract?

What benefit does Arizona get taking on an LTIR? Your owner doesn’t even have money
Oh look, the COVID guy from the Bertuzzi thread. What a simple mind.

Voracek's contract is insured. If Voracek is on LTIR and unable to play due to injury, insurance will pay his salary, not whatever team employs him.

The cap hit remains on the books, though. Arizona could acquire the cap hit to stay above the floor without having to spend any real dollars.. while also getting a free asset or two as a convenience fee.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
They are not even in the league to play hockey, just continues to be a glaring black eye on the NHL.

Reactions: Sinistril

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'd rather see Arizona fold than continue to exist or even relocate at this point.

Do a reverse expansion draft where the teams get to pick players off their roster and out of their system

A contraction draft
Its the graveyard of NHL teams, where to getvrid of players enter their dawn in career. Playing exhibition games because old players wants a last kick, some adrenaline, reach 1000 games milestones and such, in front of 4000 spectators in a practice rink. Yeah its the actual NHL. Youre going to Arizona, youre finnished.

Contraction draft would be wise, yes.
But a relocating to Houston is probably in the mix. Its pathetich about how many chances they should get.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
They currently have nine players on their roster making $900K or less this year which is insane. Heck their top paid dman now makes only $2.5M. They have almost double the salary tied up in LTIR than all their dmen and goalies combined with $19.923M on LTIR and about $11M on goalies and dmen.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Setting the world record for longest rebuild of a sports franchise at 26 years.
They’ve never rebuilt for more than 2 and a half seasons without abandoning the rebuild and attempting to squeak into the playoffs. They’ve usually failed. But they’ve always lost their nerve and retreated from a proper rebuild. Always.

This is the first time they seem to be actually doing it. They’ve collected a stunning volume of picks and hired St Louis top scout in Armstrong, TBL’s in Plandowski and Colorado’s in Hepple. They’ve also invested heavily in to their development staff. They’re also actively passing on prospects and young players for picks specifically. And clearly thinking extremely long term by stockpiling ‘25 and ‘26 picks.

Who knows if it’ll work, but it’s certainly interesting.

Armstrong said yesterday he wouldn’t take back any money because he needs that freed up to take on more bad contracts for picks. He literally said “more bad contracts for picks”. Haha.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
They’ve got a privately financed arena to pay for. Money will be a bit tight. Winning doesn’t matter while they’re crashing on ASU’s couch.

Chef’s kiss.

Weren't you saying that everyone was wrong when that you didn't believe Arizona would have trouble taking on money like three days ago? Coping hard.

Haters gonna hate. That's all this is

For some yes, but that's not all it is. The franchise has essentially ceased functioning.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Fans of large, mostly Canadian teams that love to complain about the Coyotes existence are also the same fans that benefit the most from having somewhere to dump the horrible contracts their GM's love to sign.

I guess maybe you guys would just be happier if you had to buy out Shea Weber/Andrew Ladd/Bryan Little/Zack Kassian/Patrik Nemeth instead.

The entire league exploits it that's what makes it such a sham

Reactions: TML1990

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
To the people saying the league should relocate Arizona - You would need three things first:

1. An owner interested in purchasing them in a city of similar population size to Arizona (Houston or San Antonio for instance);

2. An arena already built in that city; and most importantly

3. Alex Merullo agreeing to sell the team.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I feel for the players there and those that get drafted. It's embarrassing how that organization operates.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm sure insiders have to make sure "contracts" and not "players" are on Arizona's radar before putting out tweets.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
They are basically the league's counter to having more free compliance buyouts. Purely exist as a way for teams to get out of bad cap. The last few years would have been much worse without them lol, nearly impossible to move cap (even more so than it already was).

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
People are mad at Arizona because of... why?

They are rebuilding and getting assets for taking contrasts is kind of part of it.
I don’t think you're seeing the point, I’m sure there are more teams with Stanley cups in the last 23 years than Arizona has playoff appearances. This is the forever rebuild. It’s not like they’re putting in solid effort and falling short, they’re constantly a bottom feeder. They’re the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad