Proposal: Caufield and a 2nd for Lafraniere...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
somewhere there was a statement issued to the effect that:
LaF projects to be the best, most complete non generational Forward for the top pick since MacKinnon
Obv excludes upper echelon elite McD, Matthews, LeoDrai etc etc

but it is still a pretty impressive assessment.

and yes, people can be wrong, but it is WAY too early to go there.

Also,
following my recommendation from a year ago+
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
as a line is now a real thing,
and it looks very good so no messin w/it

I think it's pretty clear people were wrong on Lafreniere when he was praised as one of the most NHL ready prospects since Sid (myself included). Anyone expecting him to live up to his draft hype are going to be disappointed.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
NYR get a small but potential high scoring sniper. Maybe another Debrincat. Or a dud.

Habs get a home boy that may live up to his potential and be a star. Maybe a star or maybe Drouin 2. Or nothing but bottom 6 grinder.

The 2nd is to bridge the gap between the two players potential.

This is actually an interesting risk that both teams can take and may work out for both. Or not.

Montreal would have to switch that to an unprotected 1st to start the conversation.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
No its based on potential, Lafreniere's is way higher
I feel like your description of "way higher" must be different than mine because I don't see it. Cole could end up as a 40 goal scorer, something similar to DeBrincat. Maybe Laf projects to have a better all-around game, but I struggle to see how he projects to "way" better, whatever that means.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
And how much of caufields points are on the powerplay? Laf is unfortunately on a stacked lineup and does not get pp1 time.
Laf also has the physicality to play and do great in the playoffs.

Who cares . The point still count and they still win games . Fans need to get over PP points and loser point as they are part of the game .

Reactions: Gaud

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don’t think you understand the reason for that question. powerplay points are easier to score than 5v5.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think it's pretty clear people were wrong on Lafreniere when he was praised as one of the most NHL ready prospects since Sid (myself included). Anyone expecting him to live up to his draft hype are going to be disappointed.

I agree that is a LOT of hype to live up to.
But it is VERY early still.

The line I called for last year
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
is playing like gangbusters

I predict
barring injury

if they continue to get comfy by getting familiar from repeat use of the same line

the goals will then start to come

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
And how much of caufields points are on the powerplay? Laf is unfortunately on a stacked lineup and does not get pp1 time.
Laf also has the physicality to play and do great in the playoffs.

Caufield has not gotten any PP points in the regular season and 3 PP points period. On a team that has consistently been garbage on the PP. Its a non-story. And Caufield has already done great in the playoffs, its not a hypothetical.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
NYR get a small but potential high scoring sniper. Maybe another Debrincat. Or a dud.

Habs get a home boy that may live up to his potential and be a star. Maybe a star or maybe Drouin 2. Or nothing but bottom 6 grinder.

This is actually an interesting risk that both teams can take and may work out for both. Or not.
Change that 2nd into Guhle and go ahead and add something like a Romanov as well.

a second isn’t even close to enough to make this trade value match.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Based on where things are right now, I don’t think it’s a horrible proposal.

But I also can understand why NYR would want to give him more time to blossom.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

You guys still haven’t realized that more homegrown boys isn’t the answer huh? Shocker.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Change that 2nd into Guhle and go ahead and add something like a Romanov as well.

a second isn’t even close to enough to make this trade value match.
the whole concept is funny,
it's not that Laf is worth more because he was drafted 1OA, its that he earned that draft position by being the dominant player in very competitive amateur hockey

most top picks don't join teams which have guys like Kreider and Bread ahead of them at their position

and btw he was drafted for what he will become at NHL level, not for the path he will take during the first couple years

people had also been questioning Kakko pick, just looking at his counting stats, while last season his game and impact grew remarkably, and after a a slow-ish, Covid-impacted start, now he has ~10 points in last ~8 games

while NYR would like to find a shoot-first wing, they are satisfied to have Laf in the lineup now and in future

the kind of offer which might actually bring Laf to/near French Canada is probably not even available from Habs,
and Ottawa not likely to be willing to move Brady or Stutzle

so nothing to see here ....

I'm not a Sens fan but I'm laughing along with them.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I agree that is a LOT of hype to live up to.
But it is VERY early still.

The line I called for last year
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
is playing like gangbusters

I predict
barring injury

if they continue to get comfy by getting familiar from repeat use of the same line

the goals will then start to come
Laf is a passenger on that line right now. Struggling to keep up with the other 2 and they weren't very good last game. Hopefully they bounce back as a line. Chytil and Gauthier get in quickly but often Laf is nowhere to be found and in their own zone he turns it over too much with weak passes and clears.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...the kind of offer which might actually bring Laf to/near French Canada is probably not even available from Habs,
and Ottawa not likely to be willing to move Brady or Stutzle
so nothing to see here ....

I'm not a Sens fan but I'm laughing along with them.

I knew some over-reactor would decide to respond to my comment as if it were a proposal
I never said that would be an offer, i specifically wrote it unlikely
I only wrote that Laf isn't being traded for less
so he isnt being traded

Last edited:

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
both have sucked this year sure, but caufield has actually shown more thus far so not sure why we would add anything

I don't like Laf ay all so far. Very underwhelming. His skating / lack of jump / acc is really gonna hold him back
3rd line grinder at best which is what I saw all along.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Laf is a passenger on that line right now. Struggling to keep up with the other 2 and they weren't very good last game. Hopefully they bounce back as a line. Chytil and Gauthier get in quickly but often Laf is nowhere to be found and in their own zone he turns it over too much with weak passes and clears.
Agree. The line started off looking great but has looked inconsistent of late. However @bernmeister only sees what fits his narrative.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Caufield + Primeau + 2nd
bbeb3752-5b33-4739-bea2-e49f4c6c8e84_text.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad