Proposal: Caufield and a 2nd for Lafraniere...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
OP better mean 2OA in 2022. Would NYR consider Caufield + 2OA in 2022 assuming Habs get lucky in the lottery?

Lafreniere isn’t getting back a 2nd overall pick at this point. Being an overage already and not showing much after 1 1/2 year in the league, I truly doubt anyone with a top 3 pick takes that risk on Lafreniere instead

Reactions: cavs

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He barely gets any PP time so your statement is worthless. He plays on the 2nd PP at best... with the first unit eating up 1:40.
Worthless you say! :popcorn: FACT- Over 100 career minutes on the PP and NOT 1 SINGLE points.
Ya that says something is worthless when it comes to the PP.

Reactions: cavs

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If I ever want to read dumb takes, it's as simple as Ctrl+F, "Lafreniere".

You don't need to think that he's going to be a great player (even though he will be), but thinking that Caufield is somehow in his neighborhood value-wise is some wacky, wacky, stuff.

Reactions: WillyNy

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
LaF is going to be a beast. Give him a full 1st 82 game season and a solid offseason training and your going to see a lot better player.
Any notion of us trading him is just silly at this point.
I remember NYR fans telling everyone how kakko was playing and he just had terrible luck with points. HF swore up and down he was a bust. Not only has Kakko been our best fwd on many nights, the points are starting to come for the kid. I suspect the same will happen with LaF as his role increases and he get more ice, especially some relevant 1PP time.
He’s not going anywhere.
Habs should hang on to Caufield too. Yes he’s small and has things to work on, but he proved he could play in the playoffs early, even if it was mostly adrenaline.
He’s going to be a good secondary scorer for years to come.
As far as the habs roster goes, Suzuki/Romanov /Caufield are 3 pieces that shouldn’t be going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And Stutzle looks bust as well. Horrible draft
Said the same for the kakko/Hughes draft. I don’t think people really understand that those covid shortened seasons were just development killers. This kids will be find. We’ve seen the displays of high end talent.
As they mature and get stronger these kids are going to do special things

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Worthless you say! :popcorn: FACT- Over 100 career minutes on the PP and NOT 1 SINGLE points.
Ya that says something is worthless when it comes to the PP.

In 78 games, he has gotten a total of 106:23 of PP time. That's an average of roughly 1:22 per game. Now divide that by the number of PPs per game and you see that he's getting less than a minute for each opportunity, in most cases.

Most, if not all of his PP time in his career has been on PP2. This year, PP2 only has 1 goal in 22 games. They almost never start the PP. They did once last night and didn't do much with it. Usually, they get the last 20-30 seconds starting in their own end.

Context matters.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Lafreniere isn’t getting back a 2nd overall pick at this point. Being an overage already and not showing much after 1 1/2 year in the league, I truly doubt anyone with a top 3 pick takes that risk on Lafreniere instead

The point is that would be the ask. The Rangers wouldn’t contemplate Caufield and a 2nd for an instant. Caufield and the MTL 1st that sits in the top 5? They might very well consider it depending on how Kafs season plays out. Would MTL do it? Probably not and they probably shouldn’t although I expect Laf to have a very bright future.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There may come a point at which wasted potential would lead the Rangers to consider moving on, but it's years away. Years.

This guy is still incredibly young and has plenty of time to meet his vast potential in NY. Not everyone can thrive in the NHL at 18, 19.
this^
key word here being overlooked is "vast".

Offer is more realistic. NYR accepts as this fills a need for LHD, doubt BUF accepts for a Winger.
Rangers do not need LHD

For NY to even consider, would have to be
Power + BUF 2022 1st unprotected
for
LaF + two 2022 1sts [NYR + StL]

Rangers get higher end guy = or > than Dahlin, but on elc w/no immediate cap probs.
Then also want the better pick

That would thin our F a bit but cap + futures upgrade could make it work.
Creates immediate spot for Krav and opens near term for others to compete

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Ill keep it simple , Caufield was amazing for habs last end of the season and during the playoff run.
Now I feel like he's lost his touch a bit and lacks confidence and should be playing in the AHL right now.

As for Lafrenière , Should never have played in the NHL as a 18 year olds. Teams are starting to rush way too quickly the players who are in the top3 in any draft.

Both team should keep their players and put them in the good place to begin with before trading them and calling them busts.

upload_2021-12-4_13-11-53.gif

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Not that I'm for or against the trade, but I find it interesting that people saying Laf is worth "way" more etc. Is that solely based on draft position?

I think that both have a lot of potential and both could be high-end wingers, but I think at this stage CC has had a lot less time to prove himself, and Laf hasn't shown much in the time he's had.

I guess the Rangers could try to make the Habs pay for the whole Quebecois angle, but I'd guess they're perfectly fine with CC's upside.

They are basing it off draft position. Caufield has done more so far in his NHL career than Lafreniere. It should be a straight 1-for-1, no add needed. Caufield is going through a sophomore slump, whereas Lafreniere, even after struggling in his 1st season, is still struggling to breakout, especially for a 1st overall pick.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
They are basing it off draft position. Caufield has done more so far in his NHL career than Lafreniere. It should be a straight 1-for-1, no add needed. Caufield is going through a sophomore slump, whereas Lafreniere, even after struggling in his 1st season, is still struggling to breakout, especially for a 1st overall pick.
This is blatantly false:"Caufield has done more so far in his NHL career than Lafreniere"
If you think Laf is struggling, you're just counting points
He's bigger, more well rounded and headed for a leadership as well as starring role

He's not available just because Habs fan want it

btw I dont believe any serious hockey person would do 1-for-1

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
CC and Laf should be a lesson to every Hab fan that wants to trade established NHLers in the hope of drafting players and that imaginary automatic magic ride to contenders.

Hab's can't just pull a two bit market move like Arizona. BUILD on assets through combination of drafting, development, signing and retaining value. All else is fantasy.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
it takes some serious mental gymnastics to ignore that Caufield's trade value is largely based on projection yet not to afford Lafreniere that same courtesy such that you raise CC's and tank Laf's until you think the difference between the two is a decent pick.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
This is blatantly false:"Caufield has done more so far in his NHL career than Lafreniere"
If you think Laf is struggling, you're just counting points
He's bigger, more well rounded and headed for a leadership as well as starring role

He's not available just because Habs fan want it

btw I dont believe any serious hockey person would do 1-for-1

Cole Caulfield (including todays game): 29gp, 5g, 8a, 13pts + 20gp, 4g, 8a, 12pts in the playoffs

vs

Alexis Lafreniere: (including todays game): 79gp, 17g, 10a, 27pts + no playoff games

If he's not producing, yeah he's struggling, regardless of what else he's doing to "help" the team. He's a 1st overall pick, he's supposed to be producing but do enlighten everyone on what exactly he's doing that makes you think he isn't "struggling" and is "well-rounded". Just cause he's "bigger", doesn't mean he's better and history has shown smaller players being more tenacious than there larger colleagues.

Reactions: draft day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad