Proposal: Caufield and a 2nd for Lafraniere...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Ask yourself how well the last trade for a Quebec boy went when you made the trade with Tampa.

Trade everyone over the age of 24 and do a proper rebuild instead of the false hope Habs fans have been living on for the last 10 years. Price is the only reason this team has not missed the playoffs for the last 10 plus years. This team is not very good at all.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Ledge And Dairy

You know what the word "potential" means? The draft is choking with them.

At this point, the draft position means little. It's more what we have seen from both of them.

CC looked like he's rookie of the year shoe in....and it got to his head. He's not competing and it shows. If he was the CC of last playoffs, Rangers would have to add substantially.

I can't speak for Laffy.
No you are describing results, the word potential means what is this person's ceiling. Lafreniere's potential is still miles higher than Caufields

Reactions: Al4tdsBundy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not huge on either guy to be honest. I do think they will both be top 6 wingers at some point. But I don't think either of them has shown more than one dimension. You need to be a 65+ point player to be valuable when all you bring are boxcars. Not sure either guy will be, potential is there, but far from a sure thing.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Ask yourself how well the last trade for a Quebec boy went when you made the trade with Tampa.

Trade everyone over the age of 24 and do a proper rebuild instead of the false hope Habs fans have been living on for the last 10 years. Price is the only reason this team has not missed the playoffs for the last 10 plus years. This team is not very good at all.
similar to your team no ?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
NYR get a small but potential high scoring sniper. Maybe another Debrincat. Or a dud.

Habs get a home boy that may live up to his potential and be a star. Maybe a star or maybe Drouin 2. Or nothing but bottom 6 grinder.

The 2nd is to bridge the gap between the two players potential.

This is actually an interesting risk that both teams can take and may work out for both. Or not.

This is not an interesting risk. Lafreniere was taken 1OA for a reason. Caufield is a fantastic player, but he's a lesser asset than Lafreniere and a 2nd doesn't make up the difference.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not huge on either guy to be honest. I do think they will both be top 6 wingers at some point. But I don't think either of them has shown more than one dimension. You need to be a 65+ point player to be valuable when all you bring are boxcars. Not sure either guy will be, potential is there, but far from a sure thing.

One thinks the NHL is juniors and he is going to live on his wrist shot while others do the work and feed him.....and the othe makes me think it's post trade Drouin Neither give me the impression of pending stardom.

That is why I made the proposal. A trade usually sharkes up a player...and they both need a bit of shake and bake.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Ill keep it simple , Caufield was amazing for habs last end of the season and during the playoff run.
Now I feel like he's lost his touch a bit and lacks confidence and should be playing in the AHL right now.

As for Lafrenière , Should never have played in the NHL as a 18 year olds. Teams are starting to rush way too quickly the players who are in the top3 in any draft.

Both team should keep their players and put them in the good place to begin with before trading them and calling them busts.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Don't care if it's for Lafrenière or someone else, ut I would love to maximize Caufield's return soon, as he is greatly overrated.

Caufield is just not going to be a very good NHLer.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Don't care if it's for Lafrenière or someone else, ut I would love to maximize Caufield's return soon, as he is greatly overrated.

Caufield is just not going to be a very good NHLer.
If what you say is true he'd never return Laf. Typical Montreal over dramatization when a good player is in a slump.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
This is the exchange of the Rangers' main hope for one of Montreal's main hopes.
The Rangers are terrified of the proposed deal.
Chance of winning - 10%, Chance of losing - 90%.

This is based on ass syndrome.
I think Chris Drury is happy with his new job.
A great chance to lose your new job is to make such an exchange.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
both have sucked this year sure, but caufield has actually shown more thus far so not sure why we would add anything

I don't like Laf ay all so far. Very underwhelming. His skating / lack of jump / acc is really gonna hold him back

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not that I'm for or against the trade, but I find it interesting that people saying Laf is worth "way" more etc. Is that solely based on draft position?

I think that both have a lot of potential and both could be high-end wingers, but I think at this stage CC has had a lot less time to prove himself, and Laf hasn't shown much in the time he's had.

I guess the Rangers could try to make the Habs pay for the whole Quebecois angle, but I'd guess they're perfectly fine with CC's upside.

To the bolded....yes. Laf is still close enough from his draft that his draft position is a huge part of his trade value, right or wrong. I like Caufield a lot - but Laf's value is higher.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Most people felt bad Detroit fell to 4OA but it looks like they may have landed the best forward in the 2020 draft.

AL is going to be a really good NHL player. It just doesn’t look like he has that special talent many thought. As for Caufield, he’s probably where he should be at this point.

There’s no reason the Rangers do this. A year from now if they don’t see the growth? Maybe but not yet.

Reactions: KotkaZuki

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
It will take more then Caufield

About : Caufield + Romanov + Ylonen/Struble + 2nd 2023

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No its based on potential, Lafreniere's is way higher

Based on what?

I'm not too high on either, but Caufield has shown flashes of elite goal scoring ability. Haven't seen that from Lafreniere.

somewhere there was a statement issued to the effect that:
LaF projects to be the best, most complete non generational Forward for the top pick since MacKinnon
Obv excludes upper echelon elite McD, Matthews, LeoDrai etc etc

but it is still a pretty impressive assessment.

and yes, people can be wrong, but it is WAY too early to go there.

Also,
following my recommendation from a year ago+
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
as a line is now a real thing,
and it looks very good so no messin w/it

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Not to be a hater but I don't think ive seen any 'highlight reel' plays from Laf. Would take Caufield over him for sure rn.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the whole concept is funny,
it's not that Laf is worth more because he was drafted 1OA, its that he earned that draft position by being the dominant player in very competitive amateur hockey

most top picks don't join teams which have guys like Kreider and Bread ahead of them at their position

and btw he was drafted for what he will become at NHL level, not for the path he will take during the first couple years

people had also been questioning Kakko pick, just looking at his counting stats, while last season his game and impact grew remarkably, and after a a slow-ish, Covid-impacted start, now he has ~10 points in last ~8 games

while NYR would like to find a shoot-first wing, they are satisfied to have Laf in the lineup now and in future

the kind of offer which might actually bring Laf to/near French Canada is probably not even available from Habs,
and Ottawa not likely to be willing to move Brady or Stutzle

so nothing to see here ....

Reactions: bernmeister
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
NYR get a small but potential high scoring sniper. Maybe another Debrincat. Or a dud.

Habs get a home boy that may live up to his potential and be a star. Maybe a star or maybe Drouin 2. Or nothing but bottom 6 grinder.

The 2nd is to bridge the gap between the two players potential.

This is actually an interesting risk that both teams can take and may work out for both. Or not.
You go to the box. Two minutes by yourself. Feel shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad