Value of: Carey Price at the 2017 Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Call me crazy but I don't think any team that has their goalie as their best player, and one that has a huge cap hit, is going to bring a cup to that team. Montreal is never going to win a cup with Price, the Rangers were/are never going to win a cup with Lundqvist

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
back when? you're getting a little off base. Are we going from the topic of "hockey fans in Florida" to "Fans of the Florida Panthers in whatever year you pick"?

idk like 1 year ago for florida and 3 years ago for tampa?

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Here's the scenario:

-Habs miss the playoffs
-Price stays healthy all year
-Therrien & Bergy are fired
-New GM comes in, but is told by Price that he will not be sticking around for a rebuild and will walk come UFA in 2018. This is important, he's not demanding a trade he's just stating his position so as such it would be in MTL's interest to move him at the draft.

What teams would be interested? What is his value?

I'll start:
Calgary will have Elliott as a UFA and IMO will be really close to contending. Plus Cowboy Price is a natural fit. I bet they would overpay for him.

Here goes:

Jon Gillies
Matthew Tkachuk
Dougie Hamilton

for

Carey Price

Sorry but thats not an overpayment

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Call me crazy but I don't think any team that has their goalie as their best player, and one that has a huge cap hit, is going to bring a cup to that team. Montreal is never going to win a cup with Price, the Rangers were/are never going to win a cup with Lundqvist

Glad to hear that you can predict the future,...how about giving me this weeks winning loto numbers too....:shakehead

CharlesHabsFan

Jun 28, 2012
Sherbrooke, QC
That's precisely the question the op is asking. That's what's being discussed. Your response was "they wouldn't trade Price" when the scenario is one where they lose him as part of the hypothetical. You're so reluctant to even entertain the question you proposed the thread be locked :biglaugh:

To be honest, a hypothetical scenario where Price is healthy and we miss the playoffs is not very likely. Add to that a scenario where he states he will not sign with the team and will go UFA, then the team tries to desperately trade him to at least get something of value ?

If that's what happens, the Canadiens are in deep ****ing ****. There's just no other way to say it to explain how terrible that would be for the organization.

So no, Price will not be traded by the team, whoever the GM is. If a GM trades him, he failed at evaluating the Habs. If he's supposedly told that Price will not sign again, there's clearly nothing he can do because what team would be interested in helping a team by paying a premium price for a goaltender when players at that position don't hold that much value ? Carey Price is much more valuable to te Canadiens than other teams in the league can imagine...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Here's the scenario:

-Habs miss the playoffs
-Price stays healthy all year

-Therrien & Bergy are fired
-New GM comes in, but is told by Price that he will not be sticking around for a rebuild and will walk come UFA in 2018. This is important, he's not demanding a trade he's just stating his position so as such it would be in MTL's interest to move him at the draft.

What teams would be interested? What is his value?

yeah the things in bold is like the following, if I row a boat out into the center of a lake and jump in and don't get wet, how much will you give me for the phone in my pocket ?

This presumes so much, I offer this counter proposal. If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it ?

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
yeah the things in bold is like the following, if I row a boat out into the center of a lake and jump in and don't get wet, how much will you give me for the phone in my pocket ?

This presumes so much, I offer this counter proposal. If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it ?

I would top it off with a nice, cool, Budweiser!

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
idk like 1 year ago for florida and 3 years ago for tampa?

What's your point? There are millions of hockey fans in Florida. That's not what you're talking about; you're talking about Panthers and Lightning fans. Anything you can come up with that you think would insult me, right? :popcorn:

How DARE someone say Carey Price won't always be in Montreal? :D

Last edited:

dj33habs

Jul 15, 2010
Best Part of OP is that Price would be a good fit in Calgary because he's a cowboy? i didn't realize that calgary was full of Cowboys?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
and if price bolts they just lost a potential top line winger, top pairing dman, and starting goalie?

yeah not gonna happen. Price is one of the top goalies in the league but goalies have quite a bit less value, especially when they are soon to be free agents who will command the largest goalie contract in NHL history

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Tim Thomas with the Bruins. His cap as a percentage of total cap was pretty close to Price's currently and he was Bostons MVP that year they won the cup.

Crawford only makes about 500k less than Price. He's not their best player, but he does suck up lots of cap space.

Nothing wrong with having a goalie be your best player and/or having a high salary. It's up to management to build a strong team. That's the Habs issue, not that Price is their best player.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If Price stays healthy all year, Habs make the playoffs.

This, Price is just too good to not get them in there unless he and the rest of the team quit on MT & MB.

Some people saying a 9 million dollar a year contract is a joke. Price's impact on games Vs. most other goalies is just crazy. Lundquist a far second and this is coming from a leafs fan. 30 for a goalie means nothing. He will likely get 11+ million per year X 8 yrs.

If somebody is trading for him, MTL will want the farm from the team. Question is what type of leverage will MTL have or the team looking to acquire.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What a gross deal for Calgary. Why would we trade three of our best young players for a goalie?

Be much easier to just pay Bishop 8 million a year and keep our players. When Price goes Hasek mode and takes his team to the finals by himself then he might be worth it. Best season ever and they get to the second round.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
What a gross deal for Calgary. Why would we trade three of our best young players for a goalie?

Be much easier to just pay Bishop 8 million a year and keep our players. When Price goes Hasek mode and takes his team to the finals by himself then he might be worth it. Best season ever and they get to the second round.

Price has carried the team on his back for the last 3 years & what a lot of us said would happen without Price this past season happened.

Price had one of the single best seasons by a goalie in 2014-15, we all saw it & we watched 82 games of it, if he could score goals then we probably would have made the finals. Our PP in the playoffs was 2/36 with Therrien constantly throwing Desharnais on the first wave & Galchenyuk on the second lol.

Price has been the only reason we're anything above a lottery team for the last few years & when he was injured the team imploded. Our management knew the season was over in January.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Price has carried the team on his back for the last 3 years & what a lot of us said would happen without Price this past season happened.

Price had one of the single best seasons by a goalie in 2014-15, we all saw it & we watched 82 games of it, if he could score goals then we probably would have made the finals. Our PP in the playoffs was 2/36 with Therrien constantly throwing Desharnais on the first wave & Galchenyuk on the second lol.

Price has been the only reason we're anything above a lottery team for the last few years & when he was injured the team imploded. Our management knew the season was over in January.

Well that's the problem, goalies don't score goals.

I don't want to be a bubble team for the next 5 years. I'm more confident with a great team with a good goalie than a good team with a great goalie. 2004 was enough of that for me. Every win felt like a gift. I want to be the better hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad