Value of: Carey Price at the 2017 Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Incredible overpayment even for the best goalie.

Any IDIOT can figure out NO TEAM is trading for Price unless he agrees to a max contract extension......St.Louis .....Carey Price and Max Pacioretty for Tarasenko and Jake Allen,the Blues would have their top goalie to finally get them over the top.

That appears pointless for STL.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
why would the habs ever do that OP proposal??? They get absolutely terrible value for the best goalie and possibly best player in the world. Sure, he needs to get extended, but having a full year of price plus being able to make him feel good, win and extend him is worth much more than just 2 prospects and a decent top 4 D who gets payed a bit too much imo. Tkatchuk, as high as he was drafted, doesnt seem like a player who can play on his own. Any deal involving the flames would have to involve Guadreau or Monahan, any other pieces is a no.
Honestly, the habs would probably gain a lot more from trading with the oilers if their Goalie falters or if the GM feels like Price is the next step to compete for the Cup. They can then ask for Pulji, Eberle, Larsson, Hopkins, etc...

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Here's the scenario:

-Habs miss the playoffs
-Price stays healthy all year
-Therrien & Bergy are fired
-New GM comes in, but is told by Price that he will not be sticking around for a rebuild and will walk come UFA in 2018. This is important, he's not demanding a trade he's just stating his position so as such it would be in MTL's interest to move him at the draft.

You forgot about aliens visiting Earth, and Noah winning the American elections in your scenario.

:facepalm:

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Ok.

Nash missed 22 games last season. Thanks for playing. The rest of your post is complete garbage, being that you didn't even know this.

I guess that's what happens when you try to play through injuries all season, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't know he was injured.

So what you mean to tell me is that you can name 50 FORWARDS better than Nash and that Nash isn't a 1st liner?

I mean I don't exactly like Rick Nash, but that would be like me saying Max Pacioretty isn't a top-50 forward and doesn't belong on anyone's 1st line. It's absolute garbage and you know it. But you'll attempt to sit there and tell everyone how Rick Nash is so bad and overpaid, despite the fact that you...

A. Didn't know he was injured and playing through a back injury last year.
B. Ignore the 42 goal season from the year before, because you know, what have you done for me lately?

So, with that said I guess we can do the same thing for Carey Price by your logic then, right?

Talk about misreading for the purpose of getting his panties in a bunch. Of course I knew he was injured. Why do you think I didn't know and what does that have to do with the rest of my post? Don't tell me you wasted your time writing all this garbage when you could have just asked the question ''did you know he was injured?'', Which I would have then replied ''yes, which explain his bad season''.

Also, 3 x 30 = 90. Easy maths for you here.

Now a question for you. Who do you think has more value. Price or Nash? Maybe you too can help your friend I was replying to with this hard to solve problem.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Here's the scenario:

-Habs miss the playoffs
-New GM comes in, but is told by Price that he will not be sticking around for a rebuild and will walk come UFA in 2018. This is important, he's not demanding a trade he's just stating his position so as such it would be in MTL's interest to move him at the draft.

What teams would be interested? What is his value?

I'll start:
Calgary will have Elliott as a UFA and IMO will be really close to contending. Plus Cowboy Price is a natural fit. I bet they would overpay for him.

Here goes:

Jon Gillies
Matthew Tkachuk
Dougie Hamilton

for

Carey Price

why would the had trade him? Even if they miss the playoffs they do not have a gone who can step in and do what he does

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Talk about misreading for the purpose of getting his panties in a bunch. Of course I knew he was injured. Why do you think I didn't know and what does that have to do with the rest of my post? Don't tell me you wasted your time writing all this garbage when you could have just asked the question ''did you know he was injured?'', Which I would have then replied ''yes, which explain his bad season''.

Now a question for you. Who do you think has more value. Price or Nash? Maybe you too can help your friend I was replying to with this had to solve problem.

Nash?? :nod::nod:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Oilers would be all over this even if Talbot has a good season I would think.

yeah thats why the flames are not getting involved other than mtl trying to drive the price up. What do u think the oilers give up? Do u think they give up more than what they were willing for Subban?

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
isn't Price the Rick Nash of goaltending? Contract situation is similar, great when they are on, injury issues, aging......playoff success issues.

Not even close.:laugh:
One was called the best player in the NHL while the other is known as the player who never came close to his expectations.
Nice try though.:laugh:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Not even close.:laugh:
One was called the best player in the NHL while the other is known as the player who never came close to his expectations.
Nice try though.:laugh:

Why do u spread false perceptions on Nash?? Yeah Price is the waaaaaaaaay better player with a million times more value but to say Nash never came close to his expectations is stupid. Every single team would have loved to have Nash at his prime. He def matched expectations. He just could have brought his game to another level. Now, he has a big contract, injuries with a down year at a pretty old age. So his value is pretty low.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Why do u spread false perceptions on Nash?? Yeah Price is the waaaaaaaaay better player with a million times more value but to say Nash never came close to his expectations is stupid. Every single team would have loved to have Nash at his prime. He def matched expectations. He just could have brought his game to another level. Now, he has a big contract, injuries with a down year at a pretty old age. So his value is pretty low.

False perceptions on Nash. OMG!:laugh:

The guy broke 70 pts once in his 13 yr career..No matter how you try to paint the picture that is below expectations.:shakehead

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The similarities are certainly there. Wouldn't you say that being a goaltender is harder on the body than being a winger? Which brings up something else, Price was younger than Nash when he got injured, does that bode well for the future?

The opposite.

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
Oh boy, extension or no extension, I'd say no to the proposal in OP.

Great goalies like Price don't just slow down in their early 30s, he's still in his prime now and will probably be playing great past his mid-30s

It’s a hypothetical scenario where Price states that he will not re-sign.

Yeah no, wether we make the playoffs or not is irrelevant. While trading Subban could be justified by the organization, trading Price would be the stupidest move the management could make. People argue Bergevin is dumb and a bad GM, but he's litterally not that dumb...

Have you seen last season at all ? Canadiens without the best goalie in the world is bottom of the league tier. Even with a good goalie, we probably barely make the playoffs.

If Price is ever traded, it's because he is not healthy at all and his career takes a huge downfall. As others pointed out, your scenario is unrealistic. If Price is 100 % like Waite said he is, we make the playoffs. Even if Therrien and Bergevin are both fired on the spot, if the next GM trades Price, Geoff Molson probably steps in and prevent the trade from happening.

Lastly, even if we are out of the playoffs this year, no way we go into full rebuild with all of our core entiring prime years, that simply doesn't make any sense. You'd trade away Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk for prospects and pics just because we were out of the playoffs twice in a row ?

I hope this thread is closed down quick, it doesn't make a single ounce of sense for Montréal to even consider trading Carey Price.

why would the habs ever do that OP proposal??? They get absolutely terrible value for the best goalie and possibly best player in the world. Sure, he needs to get extended, but having a full year of price plus being able to make him feel good, win and extend him is worth much more than just 2 prospects and a decent top 4 D who gets payed a bit too much imo. Tkatchuk, as high as he was drafted, doesnt seem like a player who can play on his own. Any deal involving the flames would have to involve Guadreau or Monahan, any other pieces is a no.
Honestly, the habs would probably gain a lot more from trading with the oilers if their Goalie falters or if the GM feels like Price is the next step to compete for the Cup. They can then ask for Pulji, Eberle, Larsson, Hopkins, etc...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Here's the scenario:

-Habs miss the playoffs

I guess this is the huge thing. Is Montreal actually "rebuilding" or would they be "rebuilding" over the next 2-4 seasons? Because when I look at that roster, I see one that should be challenging for a playoff spot. Looking at the East, I only see 5 teams who are likely "locks" for a playoff spot (PIT, WSH, TB, NYR and FLA). MTL has the personal to make the playoffs and challenge teams to go a round or two. And once you're out of the 1st round, anything can happen.

Secondly if Price is determined to go to FA... why does any team really give up all that much for him? Why is he going to sign with them (aka CGY) if he's not going to sign with MTL? Lastly, why wouldn't MTL just wait things out? They could go on a run and perhaps convince Price to change his mind. Yes they could lose him for nothing, but it's not like there's a ton of teams looking for #1 goalies who could afford Prices AAV.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Price is the best goalie in the world, he has way more value than that. Two decent prospects and a top four defencemen isn't enough. Calgary would have to add Bennett.

No one is going to offer a top prospect like Bennett for a goalie who has 1 year left on his deal and is then a FA.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
With or without Marc Bergevin, Price ain't going anywhere.

It's not really up to the MTL GM though is it? Price will eventually be a free agent (until he signs a new deal). If for whatever reason he doesn't want to be in MTL long term, there's absolutely nothing MTL can do about it.

I'm not saying that's the case, just that who the GM is doesn't really matter. It's all about what Price does or doesn't want. If that's to stay in MTL, then you'd think that it wouldn't be that hard to get a deal done. However if it's to go elsewhere, then what MTL offers likely doesn't make a difference.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Now a question for you. Who do you think has more value. Price or Nash? Maybe you too can help your friend I was replying to with this hard to solve problem.

I'm not debating who has more value between Nash and Price. You can clearly see that within my post. That's not any of my business. Have that one out with whoever you're responding to.

However, you attempt to tell me that you knew that Nash was injured when it's clear as day that you didn't and then on top of that, make absurd claims about Nash while ignoring the same criteria to criticize Nash while making an analysis of Price.

All I'm saying is don't hold price on a pedestal while lowering the axe on Nash when you're using the same criteria to critique the two of them.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Expansion drops his value. Price may be the best available(if he were available) but it isn't that much of a downgrade for some of the others that'll be available - Bishop, Fleury, Elliot, and so on.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
All I'm saying is don't hold price on a pedestal while lowering the axe on Nash when you're using the same criteria to critique the two of them.

This is why I asked that question, they seem like they have some things in common, yet some people write Nash off but are naming Price as the best goalie in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad