Value of: Carey Price at the 2017 Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
isn't Price the Rick Nash of goaltending? Contract situation is similar, great when they are on, injury issues, aging......playoff success issues.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Outlandish statement Price Isn't even 30 yet

The similarities are certainly there. Wouldn't you say that being a goaltender is harder on the body than being a winger? Which brings up something else, Price was younger than Nash when he got injured, does that bode well for the future?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
So his age will be 30, looking to cash in big time on his next/last contract.....you will have a very limited number of interested serious buyers.

Not a chance in hell you get what's posted in the OP.

Statistics show that goalies' performance does not decline with age nearly as much as other positions. Barring injuries, Price will likely be in his prime until around 36-37. I would have no problem paying him $9M/year until then.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You spend too much time in Rick Nash threads

lol, but this is a Carey Price thread. Just saying if certain arguments that have been brought up against Nash can actually apply to Price.......then they are in similar situations.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
lol, but this is a Carey Price thread. Just saying if certain arguments that have been brought up against Nash can actually apply to Price.......then they are in similar situations.

One is a goalie, the other a winger. Offensive production declines much more sharply with age than does goaltender performance. Nash is also 3 years older than Price.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The similarities are certainly there. Wouldn't you say that being a goaltender is harder on the body than being a winger? Which brings up something else, Price was younger than Nash when he got injured, does that bode well for the future?

I have always said being a goalie isn't the same as being a forward or D, goalies play a high level for longer

Look at Luongo today, or Roy or Marty or Belfour or Hasek they were all elite in their late 30's some of them into their 40's

Goalies age slower

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I have always said being a goalie isn't the same as being a forward or D, goalies play a high level for longer

Look at Luongo today, or Roy or Marty or Belfour or Hasek they were all elite in their late 30's some of them into their 40's

Goalies age slower

OK, but we are talking about Price who has oft. been injured the past couple of seasons..... is it alarming he has missed more games at a younger age than Nash? And these injuries support what I am saying regarding longevity at ones position. Knee injuries for goalies are bad.

CharlesHabsFan

Jun 28, 2012
Sherbrooke, QC
Yeah no, wether we make the playoffs or not is irrelevant. While trading Subban could be justified by the organization, trading Price would be the stupidest move the management could make. People argue Bergevin is dumb and a bad GM, but he's litterally not that dumb...

Have you seen last season at all ? Canadiens without the best goalie in the world is bottom of the league tier. Even with a good goalie, we probably barely make the playoffs.

If Price is ever traded, it's because he is not healthy at all and his career takes a huge downfall. As others pointed out, your scenario is unrealistic. If Price is 100 % like Waite said he is, we make the playoffs. Even if Therrien and Bergevin are both fired on the spot, if the next GM trades Price, Geoff Molson probably steps in and prevent the trade from happening.

Lastly, even if we are out of the playoffs this year, no way we go into full rebuild with all of our core entiring prime years, that simply doesn't make any sense. You'd trade away Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk for prospects and pics just because we were out of the playoffs twice in a row ?

I hope this thread is closed down quick, it doesn't make a single ounce of sense for Montréal to even consider trading Carey Price.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
OK, but we are talking about Price who has oft. been injured the past couple of seasons..... is it alarming he has missed more games at a younger age than Nash? And these injuries support what I am saying regarding longevity at ones position. Knee injuries for goalies are bad.

This was his first major injury

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004

I think you're fishing for reactions because you don't like what you read in Nash's threads but I'll play along.

First, you obviously missed the OP where he states that the condition Price is dealt is after a full healthy season. There goes your injury theories.

You were also saying, as a way to compare them, that ''they're great when they're on''. Lol. Last time Price wasn't ''on'' (and not injured) was 4 years ago. Nash was just last season.

Also, you're talking about age. Not only is Price younger by 3 years, but he also didn't show any signs of regression like Nash, and we all know goalies can be great in their 30's (you'd think you would know that if you're a Rangers fan)

Finally, we're talking about different tiers of players. Price is arguably the best goalie in the world. Does Nash make your top 50 forwards?

Happy to answer your questions.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
price will accept a six year 7.5 million contract to stay with the habs. he will take that for the good of the team because he is all about the team . same as that guy in pittsburgh who takes less for the good of the team.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So far I would say is Schneider got the best return which was the 9th overall.

I would say without an extension in hand Price would get a top 10 pick and a B-prospect

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think you're fishing for reactions because you don't like what you read in Nash's threads but I'll play along.

First, you obviously missed the OP where he states that the condition Price is dealt is after a full healthy season. There goes your injury theories.

Ok.

You were also saying, as a way to compare them, that ''they're great when they're on''. Lol. Last time Price wasn't ''on'' (and not injured) was 4 years ago. Nash was just last season.

Nash missed 22 games last season. Thanks for playing. The rest of your post is complete garbage, being that you didn't even know this.

Also, you're talking about age. Not only is Price younger by 3 years, but he also didn't show any signs of regression like Nash, and we all know goalies can be great in their 30's (you'd think you would know that if you're a Rangers fan)

I guess that's what happens when you try to play through injuries all season, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't know he was injured.

Finally, we're talking about different tiers of players. Price is arguably the best goalie in the world. Does Nash make your top 50 forwards?

Happy to answer your questions.

So what you mean to tell me is that you can name 50 FORWARDS better than Nash and that Nash isn't a 1st liner?

I mean I don't exactly like Rick Nash, but that would be like me saying Max Pacioretty isn't a top-50 forward and doesn't belong on anyone's 1st line. It's absolute garbage and you know it. But you'll attempt to sit there and tell everyone how Rick Nash is so bad and overpaid, despite the fact that you...

A. Didn't know he was injured and playing through a back injury last year.
B. Ignore the 42 goal season from the year before, because you know, what have you done for me lately?

So, with that said I guess we can do the same thing for Carey Price by your logic then, right?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Goalies are hard to value.

Normally the best thing to do is to find comparable players/situations to gauge value, but teams very rarely give up starting goalies, much less guys who are arguably the best in the NHL. The market can have a huge effect on the value. The returns can be very uneven.

Personally, I think if Price wanted out and were offered, he'd fetch the following as part of a large trade including multiple pieces from both sides:

1. A return goalie. Either as an established starter or a well regarded young goalie depending on Montreal's preference.

2. An established top-6 forward or top-4 d-man. Prime of their career type guy.

3. Either a good young NHLer, a high draft pick, or a blue-chip prospect

When Lou got traded it was for: A top-6 forward, (Bertuzzi was better than a regular top-6 forward but came with significant baggage), young defense-man with potential (Bryan Allen) and a young starting goalie (Alex Auld).

I think the return would be similar, contract issues aside.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Any IDIOT can figure out NO TEAM is trading for Price unless he agrees to a max contract extension......St.Louis .....Carey Price and Max Pacioretty for Tarasenko and Jake Allen,the Blues would have their top goalie to finally get them over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad