Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A healthy Price could probably get that kind of offer. Not sure if Oilers would want to do it. Avs wouldn't after giving a 1st + Timmins. But are we sure that he's healthy? Yes futures might bust but so could Price since he hasn't played a game so far what if we get Price and never look the same he was? There are risks from both sides. The one acquiring him are IMO taking the bigger risk since they would give up assets and cap space. But I also understand Habs POV if they trade him and retain freaking 5M$ of course you want something valuable.

Nobody will trade for Price until he plays games first. Reality. I think he is getting ready for the Olympics to be honest (if Canada goes). It's his last chance to play with the boys. I think he can overcome his pain killer addition and we will know a lot more at the deadline (end of March). Talks may or may not pick up then but this 50% retention is fan talk. We really don't know what Molson/Gorton is thinking and for all we know, they try a reset vs rebuild.

I consider it equal risk to the Habs with trading him for 50% retention vs the team taking him. The futures can disappoint or shine and/or Price can win a cup or disappoint. I see concerns from one side but I'm looking at both sides. Call me bias but I think that if I was a contender and a healthy Price was available at $5.25M, I'd be all over it. Especially if the goaltender was the missing piece

Reactions: Spilot23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just wonder if Ken Holland isn't on this one. Oilers playoff exits have had a lot to do with goaltending. Build confidence from the goalie out, and that is one hell of a dangerous team.

I agree. Oilers are an improved team this year but can they go on a deep run with question marks in net. There is no doubt in my mind that McDavid and Drai would love to have Price in net and in the dressing room. Price on a contender where he is not as exposed? I'd love to see it and I would cheer for the Oilers if that happened. Would love to see the cup back in Canada... even if the Leafs win it

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So, when you said "You want to talk about Price's regular season numbers? Sure, go back and look at Roy's numbers in the 2 years prior to that trade.", you were really talking about how some fans try to devalue them? Really? Or did I forget about the mental gymnastics portion of these conversations? I guess I must have, since you're also now claiming that Grubauer's performance with an expansion team that's purposefully trying to tank is somehow evidence that Price is worth acquiring. Or are you trying to make the unprovable assertion that Price would have done better than Grubauer in Colorado and definitely won the Cup?

I don't think you have comprehended that point well and I'm not trying anymore. No need to continue anymore... all we are doing is saying the same things back and forth.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I agree. Oilers are an improved team this year but can they go on a deep run with question marks in net. There is no doubt in my mind that McDavid and Drai would love to have Price in net and in the dressing room. Price on a contender where he is not as exposed? I'd love to see it and I would cheer for the Oilers if that happened. Would love to see the cup back in Canada... even if the Leafs win it

Ok being from Winnipeg, you've gone too far there. After Sunday's game, cheering for the Leafs is all but impossible. Otherwise I agree.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This is a goaltender, who until the Tampa series was a playoff run if like 27-1, provided he got 3 goals support from his skaters. On a shit team like Montreal he had a run like that, all while being called overpaid trash.

This guy on a decent team wins a Cup. Colorado should’ve traded for him years ago. After all, he beat Vegas, while they got dummied.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok being from Winnipeg, you've gone too far there. After Sunday's game, cheering for the Leafs is all but impossible. Otherwise I agree.

I have yet to watch the highlights from that game. You just remined me!

But yeah, Oilers adding a healthy Price at a good cap hit? No doubt in my mind that they will be interested if the Habs make a historic move like that. That's a lot of retention for 4+ years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It would be a very stupid thing to do to retain 50% of Price contract.

Why? Care to explain? If the Habs trade Price, it's full rebuild and that rebuild will take 3-5 years if they rebuild right and not try to rise up faster than expected. You don't need cap space in a rebuild.

Holding onto Price like the Rangers did with Lundqvist during their rebuild can also be stupid. And the Habs can't move Price without substantial retention in the flat cap.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't think you have comprehended that point well and I'm not trying anymore. No need to continue anymore... all we are doing is saying the same things back and forth.

Right, it's my fault that your attempt at making a point was incoherent and unconvincing. Wouldn't expect anything else from one of these Price to Colorado threads. Definitely makes me so excited for the next thread discussing the same thing.

Reactions: McJedi

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo might bite, but I doubt the Canadians are interested in trading him within their own division. Secondly, would Price even go to Buffalo? And thirdly, his contract and term don't really fit the Sabres situation.

It might cost Montreal some picks/prospects to unload the contract, and I'm not sure they are willing to pay what it would take.

The issue beyond even if the Habs would be willing to send him somewhere in the division and IF (the bigger if) he was even willing to go to Buffalo is... his last 2 years have had some below average save %'s. That's a concern if someone is looking at using him to bridge until the kids arrive (or even if one of them arrives) when they aren't getting good netminding right now either.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Jumping into the last few pages of this thread and reading about a hot playoff performances and carrying a team to the cup.
I thought it had become a value of 2018-19 Bobrovsky discussion for a minute there.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The main problem with the valuations in this thread is that the acquiring fans want to pay a value based on Price's last year or so of play, which seems realistic.

While most Montreal fans want a value based on Carey Price from 5 years ago, taking into account everything he's done for Montreal. Which shouldn't really have any bearing on his current value.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The main problem with the valuations in this thread is that the acquiring fans want to pay a value based on Price's last year or so of play, which seems realistic.

While most Montreal fans want a value based on Carey Price from 5 years ago, taking into account everything he's done for Montreal. Which shouldn't really have any bearing on his current value.
Huh ?
Based on what you said, Habs fans are looking for value for a guy who just singlehandedly carried his team to the finals.

If you want to lower that value, you include past seasons with their injuries and a hefty contract and a lack of certainty for the future.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Seeing less and less Price trashing in this latest trade talk. What does this mean? Fans acknowledge his value at 50% and they agree but rather not comment anything positive.
more like losing interest to discuss an unlikely trade scenario with a fan base, which seems to be completely disconnected from reality*.

first: price has not played, yet. nobody trades for a player, who is in the nhlpa player assistance program
second: price has to come back from a surgery and be effective
third: price needs to lift his nmc and accept a trade to the acquiring team
fourth: montreal needs to be willing to retain 50% for the remainder of the contract
fifth: any acquiring team needs to accept a long term contract, which even after retention is a) not cheap and b) can't be bought out with any savings
sixth: the acquiring team needs to value the potential short term benefits over the potential negative long term effects. the destination mostly mentioned (col and edm) have young star players and even a 50% retained carey price might cuts their window of opportunity short
seventh: montreal needs to accept, what the acquiring team is willing to spend in asset

as a fan of a non-contending team (devils) i look at the carey price contract as a cap dump. all 10.5m of it. i wouldn't want him at 50% and would still ask for a heavy compensation to take it.

* if the discussion topic is price and people point out to the very average regular season stats of price the last few seasons, the team in front of him is constantly thrown under the bus. you can get the impression the habs are icing price and an ahl roster. if the topic shifts to chiarot, petry, gallagher, toffoli, hoffman, drouin :eek:, anderson, suzuki and caufield, they suddenly look like superstars. in a trade they should all get a first + back.

a little consistency, please.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Let me get this straight... Price's value from 5 years ago was this? o_O
* A late 1st rounder
* A Grade A
* A Grade B

I'm pretty sure his value was more than that 5 years ago bud. There is no NHL player in that asking price. Today, us fans are willing to retain and it's a game changer. There are many fans outside of Montreal who are backing up Price's ability even at age 34 as well. Including team Canada.

His current value is coming right after two back to back playoffs with stats that match his prime! The amount of disrespect Price and the Habs are getting from some fans is unreal. It's almost like other teams want him for very cheap but they will certainly take him at 50% retention and laugh in your face later when they are chasing cups and the Habs are left with guys who never made the NHL.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
* A late 1st rounder
* A Grade A
* A Grade B

I'm pretty sure his value was more than that 5 years ago bud. There is no NHL player in that asking price. Today, us fans are willing to retain and it's a game changer. There are many fans outside of Montreal who are backing up Price's ability even at age 34 as well. Including team Canada.

His current value is coming right after two back to back playoffs with stats that match his prime! The amount of disrespect Price and the Habs are getting from some fans is unreal. It's almost like other teams want him for very cheap but they will certainly take him at 50% retention and laugh in your face later when they are chasing cups and the Habs are left with guys who never made the NHL.
Okay, I see what you're saying now. You want to base Price's value off of 32 hand picked games you chose over the last 5 years and ignore his performance in the other 198 games he played in that same period. Got it.

Reactions: McJedi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Okay, I see what you're saying now. You want to base Price's value off of 32 hand picked games you chose over the last 5 years and ignore his performance in the other 198 games he played in that same period. Got it.

No, you don't see what I'm saying yet. I'm basing his value as a star in net who is proven over many years. And when healthy, you see what he can do.... even at age 33 last year. I feel that he is being asked too much in Montreal and our roster flaws has wore out his motivation over the years and can you really blame him for that? Motivation comes and goes but in big pressure games, he shows up time and time again.

Price available at 50% retention is worth more than you realize. Some Habs fans would do the 50% retention and some would not. What do Molson/Gorton think? We don't know. If Price was being pushed for his full contract in a flat cap, that's a different story

Price at 50% retention and asking for a late 1st, Grade A, and Grade B is not an unreasonable ask. Several other fans have also spoken to that as well. It's a negotiation among fans.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No, you don't see what I'm saying yet. I'm basing his value as a star in net who is proven over many years. And when healthy, you see what he can do.... even at age 33 last year. I feel that he is being asked too much in Montreal and our roster flaws has wore out his motivation over the years and can you really blame him for that? Motivation comes and goes but in big pressure games, he shows up time and time again.

Price available at 50% retention is worth more than you realize. Some Habs fans would do the 50% retention and some would not. What do Molson/Gorton think? We don't know. If Price was being pushed for his full contract in a flat cap, that's a different story

Price at 50% retention and asking for a late 1st, Grade A, and Grade B is not an unreasonable ask. Several other fans have also spoken to that as well. It's a negotiation among fans.
Price isn’t getting traded this season. He’s not even playing. He’s got a ways to go before he’s even considered a viable NHL option to put in the net. Keep your guy and try again next season.. and more likely in 2024.

He’ll have more value the closer he’s gets to the end of his albatross contract.

you are hell bent to see the Habs make a deal for a 2022 pick, get excited about Chiarot. He’ll be on another team soon. Probably the only big trade Habs make before the TDL. Set your expectations reasonably and you’ll be reasonably pleased by the outcome.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price isn’t getting traded this season. He’s not even playing. He’s got a ways to go before he’s even considered a viable NHL option to put in the net. Keep your guy and try again next season.. and more likely in 2024.

He’ll have more value the closer he’s gets to the end of his albatross contract.

you are hell bent to see the Habs make a deal for a 2022 pick, get excited about Chiarot. He’ll be on another team soon. Probably the only big trade Habs make before the TDL. Set your expectations reasonably and you’ll be reasonably pleased by the outcome.

Not likely he is being traded this season yes. But things can change from now till March. This Price trade talk is not going away

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
* A late 1st rounder
* A Grade A
* A Grade B

Once again, it seems that you've completely ignored the point to find something to get mad about.

No one, myself included, is questioning whether Price has the ability to be a legit NHL starter who can steal games. He's shown that, when healthy and on his game, he's very good.

But, despite having that talent, for the last 4 regular seasons (~200 games), he hasn't consistently performed up to his full ability, so, there are legitimate concerns about his consistency. He's also currently not playing due to health issues, so there are legitimate concerns about his health. And, even at 50% retention, there's still a $5.25m cap hit for the next 4+ seasons that's essentially buyout proof, so there are legitimate concerns that it will cause problems if he doesn't return to form or get/stay healthy. The fact that he played well over a couple of playoffs doesn't magically erase these legitimate concerns, or even really do much to mitigate them. Even with 50% retention and the return being a 1st + A + B prospect, it's a very high risk, potential for high reward trade. And, there are other guys with similar potential for high reward that can be had for significantly cheaper.

Maybe, if he returns/stays healthy and plays well, that will change in the future. But right now, I don't see a convincing argument that he's worth it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Once again, it seems that you've completely ignored the point to find something to get mad about.

No one, myself included, is questioning whether Price has the ability to be a legit NHL starter who can steal games. He's shown that, when healthy and on his game, he's very good.

But, despite having that talent, for the last 4 regular seasons (~200 games), he hasn't consistently performed up to his full ability, so, there are legitimate concerns about his consistency. He's also currently not playing due to health issues, so there are legitimate concerns about his health. And, even at 50% retention, there's still a $5.25m cap hit for the next 4+ seasons that's essentially buyout proof, so there are legitimate concerns that it will cause problems if he doesn't return to form or get/stay healthy. The fact that he played well over a couple of playoffs doesn't magically erase these legitimate concerns, or even really do much to mitigate them. Even with 50% retention and the return being a 1st + A + B prospect, it's a very high risk, potential for high reward trade. And, there are other guys with similar potential for high reward that can be had for significantly cheaper.

Maybe, if he returns/stays healthy and plays well, that will change in the future. But right now, I don't see a convincing argument that he's worth it.

Not mad about anything. Just defending my stance. You won't find anything I already don't know. You just value him differently so we are going to have to set this aside cause it's the same things said over and over again. You can talk to others and I will do the same. Nothing more to say between you and me on this conversation at this point in time.

Lets wait to see if/when he is traded. For what return. And how he does with a new team if traded. We'll see who wins this tug of war in the end then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad