Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Edmonton wants to win the Stanley Cup, the price tag is: Holloway + 1st round pick + Koskinen for Price (50% retention).. Otherwhise, better luck next time.

Might have a better offer with the AVS

I would let them have their current youth playing NHL right now cause the point of the Oilers trading for Price with retention is to chase a cup. So asking for Broberg or any young player on their roster won't work.

Habs also have a decent amount of young guys on D coming and we can use some good wingers. Holloway fits. I would say he is a fringe grade A or grade A but Oilers fan base probably say he is a grade A for sure. Regardless, he's close to that threshold. Then a 20+ 1st. I'd also add Lavoie who I feel is a grade B.

* Holloway, Lavoie, 20+ 1st.
* Oilers not going to like this but if we retain the full 50%, I'm asking for a conditional pick if they win a cup. An extra 2nd rounder for each cup with Price? Fair is fair... you win a cup and you won't be upset with giving out a 2nd.

Habs are reaching more than the Oilers here. It's very possible that we are not left with any impact players from those futures and Price gets the Oilers to the next level which is great timing for them.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seeing less and less Price trashing in this latest trade talk. What does this mean? Fans acknowledge his value at 50% and they agree but rather not comment anything positive.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably not.

Agreed and personally, the way Avs fans have acted towards the Habs on HF boards, I rather trade Price to the Oilers and he brings a cup back to Canada and then the Oilers can beat the Avs along to way to their cup.

Not all fan bases get along well but the Oilers have been way more respectful with this than the Avs.

Reactions: 1000eeer

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Agreed and personally, the way Avs fans have acted towards the Habs on HF boards, I rather trade Price to the Oilers and he brings a cup back to Canada and then the Oilers can beat the Avs along to way to their cup.

Not all fan bases get along well but the Oilers have been way more respectful with this than the Avs.

Is this a prediction or a promise?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Price is a fantastic goalie but Montreal isn't going to retain 50% for the length of his remaining contract and any team with the cap space and assets to reasonably acquire him in any way that will help your rebuild has absolutely no need for him.

Like I touched on with Detroit. Detroit could not possibly need Carey Price any less currently.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price is a fantastic goalie but Montreal isn't going to retain 50% for the length of his remaining contract and any team with the cap space and assets to reasonably acquire him in any way that will help your rebuild has absolutely no need for him.

Like I touched on with Detroit. Detroit could not possibly need Carey Price any less currently.

Habs fans idea and we have no idea how much Molson/Gorton would retain. However, if they decide to rebuild, Price will want out so they only way to move him for any decent futures return is to retain and help the other team fit him in.

He has to get healthy first. Then this story picks up steam. Unless Gorton is after a retool vs a rebuild but if so, he will be thrown under the bus more than Bergevin was

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What are the Hawks direction? Thinking outside of the box here... 8 pts out of a playoff spot and could a trade like this get them into the playoffs? Lets say Price is healthy early Jan?

Bad idea for the Hawks? You guys tell me

What Futures would the Hawks offer for this?
* Price (Retention down to $7M)
* Toffoli (2 more years at $4.25M)
* Chiarot (Pending UFA and we can retain 50%)
for
* Fleury's Pending UFA contract
* Strome (cap reasons)
* Futures?

$13M in and $10M out.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It would be a historic move by the Habs but if Molson/Gorton want to truly rebuild, I don't see Price wanting to be part of it at age 34.
I agree with your thought process for sure. I do wonder about the reality of a 50% retained C. Price because that’s a lot of lost cap space if you aren’t getting an important piece for the rebuild, and is that $5+ million a year, and the retention spot better spent on other rebuilding moves (I’m thinking like what the Coyotes did this off season acquiring multiple picks to take on Stralman, Ladd and Ghost).
Anyway good discussion and with the announcement that Price won’t be playing until after Christmas at the earliest there is still time for fans to come up with all sorts of scenarios.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city

Agreed!! I rather see the Oilers win the cup than the AVS...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with your thought process for sure. I do wonder about the reality of a 50% retained C. Price because that’s a lot of lost cap space if you aren’t getting an important piece for the rebuild, and is that $5+ million a year, and the retention spot better spent on other rebuilding moves (I’m thinking like what the Coyotes did this off season acquiring multiple picks to take on Stralman, Ladd and Ghost).
Anyway good discussion and with the announcement that Price won’t be playing until after Christmas at the earliest there is still time for fans to come up with all sorts of scenarios.

If we are trading Price we are rebuilding and won't need cap space. In fact, it helps us reach the cap floor in the coming years. If you are worried about the Habs rising up fast and you will need that cap space, then the rebuild didn't work cause we tried to move up too fast.

If we are going to to this rebuild right, it has to be 3-5 years or more. Painful yes but that's how we stay at the bottom and get a Star or two and also have solid depth behind them. Then you let them grow together and make moves once they are 22/23+ age range. A guy like Wright will be 22 when Price's contract is done.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

To be fair, we Avs fans have been getting told that we desperately need to give up the farm for Price for the last several years, on a weekly basis (if not more often), so I'm not really surprised that some Avs fans aren't responding to the 4,273rd iteration of this conversation with the utmost respect. There could also be some spillover animosity from the 24,384 threads about Drouin to the Avs. Or, for us old timers, the several hundred thousand Ryder/Halak/2nd for Duchene/Stastny threads.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be fair, we Avs fans have been getting told that we desperately need to give up the farm for Price for the last several years, on a weekly basis (if not more often), so I'm not really surprised that some Avs fans aren't responding to the 4,273rd iteration of this conversation with the utmost respect. There could also be some spillover animosity from the 24,384 threads about Drouin to the Avs. Or, for us old timers, the several hundred thousand Ryder/Halak/2nd for Duchene/Stastny threads.

Two problems...

1) I don't trust anything you say about Price. You have been on here for years trashing him as a goalie. If you do trade him, you will have to give up a fair amount of your future.... especially if we retain a subtantial amount and give you an edge to win a cup like we did with Roy back when. Reality. You want to talk about Price's regular season numbers? Sure, go back and look at Roy's numbers in the 2 years prior to that trade.

2) You are grouping the Habs into one opinion. Habs fan base is massive and we don't have just one opinion. You know this but you have this seed in your head that we are all proposing Ryder/Halak/2nd offers. You clearly have a hate on for Habs fans and it's BS cause we don't all think the same

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Edmonton would be upgrading Smith to Price, right?

If Montreal is eating 50% they will likely ask for a first round draft pick which could be in 2023 or 2024. Montreal wouldn't need it immediately which gives Edmonton some opportunity to move other picks for other assets.

Edmonton has a lot of forwards hitting RFA but Puljujärvi is the only one that's gonna maybe cost them. Does Edmonton want out of the Ceci deal? Cap dumping him to Montreal would free up some space to add Price no problem but would also cost the Oilers more in the return. Maybe Edmonton asks for Kulak in the deal as well to get a UFA defenceman with some versatility.

So you got Price at 50% retained and Kulak
Going back is Smith, Ceci and a package involving picks and prospects that Montreal wants for the return. Lavoie for sure, Broberg or Bourgault in the Montreal package plus a first in 2023.

So Edmonton loses a bunch of their prospect depth but also frees up the Ceci contract, Smith next season, gets Kulak as a rental, and gets Price at an affordable price for the next couple years of playoff runs.

Montreal eats $5M a year but can afford it in a long term rebuild with Weber on LTIR. Ceci can be traded or can just help the Canadiens suck as they eventually move Petry as well and run Ceci and Savard on the right side blowing games for them. But they'd have a couple French Canadian prospects in the bag and a first round pick down the road to look forward to. Smith probably gets moved in the summer as a backup to a contender who can afford him being hurt.

None of this happens until Price returns and shows he can still play, but that's the only way I see this working. Montreal giving up a lot, eating some contracts in return, and Edmonton dumping a bunch of A/B prospects and a later first. Of course this being Hockey's Future I'm sure the idea of losing any prospects for Price is considered heresy but that's how I see this going.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Man some of our fans are delusional. Price has negative value, even at 50%. He struggles to post a .900% in the regular season. A hot streak in the playoffs doesn't change the fact that he already is just one age related performance drop away from being AHL caliber.

Nobody will trade for him now. He needs to come back, put a solid streak of .915%+ and show he still got it. If he doesn't impreove and doesn't want to stay for a rebuild we're going to have to take back a cap dump to unload him sadly. Would teams rather trust 13 quality starts in one playoff run or 3 mediocre seasons where he was barely NHL caliber in 18, 20, 21?

Last edited:
Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Two problems...

1) I don't trust anything you say about Price. You have been on here for years trashing him as a goalie. If you do trade him, you will have to give up a fair amount of your future.... especially if we retain a subtantial amount and give you an edge to win a cup like we did with Roy back when. Reality. You want to talk about Price's regular season numbers? Sure, go back and look at Roy's numbers in the 2 years prior to that trade.

2) You are grouping the Habs into one opinion. Habs fan base is massive and we don't have just one opinion. You know this but you have this seed in your head that we are all proposing Ryder/Halak/2nd offers. You clearly have a hate on for Habs fans and it's BS cause we don't all think the same
Two years prior to that trade he was 5th in MVP voting and 3rd in Vezina voting. The year prior he lead the league in games played, minutes played, shots saved, and shots against. His stats were middle of the pack (18th in GAA for starters, 11th for Sv%) in a lockout shortened season. He also wasn't coming off what seems to be a major injury and some personal issues and was four years younger.

Also, you traded Roy and your 28 year old captain at the time.

Reactions: Voight

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Excellent point.

@mouser If the majority of that contract is payable by yearly signing bonus how does the retention work? Do the Canadiens pay out their share each year? Or does the acquiring team handle that financial responsibility?

Retention applies to all bonuses, the same as salary.

Reactions: belair

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Two years prior to that trade he was 5th in MVP voting and 3rd in Vezina voting. The year prior he lead the league in games played, minutes played, shots saved, and shots against. His stats were middle of the pack (18th in GAA for starters, 11th for Sv%) in a lockout shortened season. He also wasn't coming off what seems to be a major injury and some personal issues and was four years younger.

Also, you traded Roy and your 28 year old captain at the time.

We got raped in the Roy trade. And we are not after NHL players this time around. Price is older but he can still win cups. Your overlooking the point of stat obsession devalues with star players on struggling teams. The 5th in voting for MVP was the 93/94 season. His numbers in 94/95 and 95/96 are below... no way he was in the MVP/Vezina running in the those seasons. It's the same comments some are trying to use with Price today.. "Look at his regular season numbers"

94/95:
* 43 games
* 2.97 GAA
* .906 Sv%

95/96:
* 22 games
* 2.95 GAA
* .907 Sv%

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
We got raped in the Roy trade. And we are not after NHL players this time around. Price is older but he can still win cups. Your overlooking the point of stat obsession devalues with star players on struggling teams. The 5th in voting for MVP was the 93/94 season. His numbers in 94/95 and 95/96 are below... no way he was in the MVP/Vezina running in the those seasons. It's the same comments some are trying to use with Price today.. "Look at his regular season numbers"

94/95:
* 43 games
* 2.97 GAA
* .906 Sv%

95/96:
* 22 games
* 2.95 GAA
* .907 Sv%
You said go back and look at his numbers two years prior to the trade and then you use numbers from the year he was traded? Ok. Also, he finished 9th in the Vezina voting for 95/96. His Sv% and shots against per game were almost identical between the two teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad