Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It doesn't work that way. Acquiring Weber doesn't free up any cap space.
how does it work with retention and cap . for example if a player is owed 5 million on the last three years of his contract but his cap hit is 10 million , if a team retains 50% does that mean it's 2.5 million inn actual dollars and 5 million in cap is retained ?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Edmonton send:
Koskinen, 1st, +

Montreal send: Carey Price at 50% retention

Why Edmonton do it:
Because Price would be Edmonton's best goaltender since forever basically and he's an upgrade on Koskinen. A huge upgrade. They lack depth on defense but Price still give them a shot a the Stanley Cup with the two boys of wonders in front. And he still got it, I think it was showed pretty clearly in last playoffs

Why Montreal does it:
We are rebuilding. Price would be wasting his last years here and he deserves a cup, more than any other players in the league right now IMO. And we need assets for the future.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not many playoff teams? Well there is 16 playoff teams and not many would be what? 5 or less? I think there are some logical spots.

Age: 34-38. Not ideal but not terrible either. There is a long list of elite level or top end goalies who age well. You don't do what he has done in the last two playoffs (carry the Habs) and then loose that skill all of a sudden.
Contract: $10.5M is horrible but $5.25M is completely different. A game changer to his value in the salary cap
Health: Any trade discussions can't start until he is playing again and back to the Price we know.

The way I see it is this... Lets say Price was a pending UFA and came back early Jan and was effective and also played the Olympics. He's going to get a 3 or 4 year deal at $5.25M and it won't be just one team trying to sign him.

Reality.. just saying
I agree with your bolded statement, but teams over pay in free agency and you don't give up assets in free agency, just cap. If the Habs are retaining for 4.5 years, they will want valuable assets coming back, so it's not as simple as saying he would get a similar deal if he was a free agent, he isn't a UFA and as such any deal will need to take into account the assets going the other direction.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
how does it work with retention and cap . for example if a player is owed 5 million on the last three years of his contract but his cap hit is 10 million , if a team retains 50% does that mean it's 2.5 million inn actual dollars and 5 million in cap is retained ?

It's the same % for both salary and cap every remaining year on the contract. So yes, your example would be accurate.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's the same % for both salary and cap every remaining year on the contract. So yes, your example would be accurate.
Does anyone know what happens in an LTIR scenario ? Is the retained salary also LTIR ? For a case like Price where LTIR is a likely outcome in 2-3 years, it has to be a consideration.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Does anyone know what happens in an LTIR scenario ? Is the retained salary also LTIR ? For a case like Price where LTIR is a likely outcome in 2-3 years, it has to be a consideration.

No, the retained salary would not be considered LTIR.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
This is exactly what the Habs are saying but some of your fellow Oilers fans think Price is not worth it. As a Habs fan who will not see playoffs for a few years, I would love to cheer for McDavid, Drai, and Price chasing a cup. And this is not propaganda where I want to steal your youth either. But I do want a fair return and something the Oilers can afford to spare.

Some fans are guilty of Price HF board culture devalue BS. Price available at 50% is a game changer (if true).

What do you believe is fair value for price @50% retention?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
No, the retained salary would not be considered LTIR.
Thanks.

This also means it would be far more interesting for the Habs to take bad some excessive contracts rather than retaining salary. There is a definite risk that after 2 more years Price just says his knees or hips are shot and goes on LTIR. The team that acquired him gets cap relief, but the Habs would still be stuck with the agreed retention, and maybe not even get any conditional assets based on his still playing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with your bolded statement, but teams over pay in free agency and you don't give up assets in free agency, just cap. If the Habs are retaining for 4.5 years, they will want valuable assets coming back, so it's not as simple as saying he would get a similar deal if he was a free agent, he isn't a UFA and as such any deal will need to take into account the assets going the other direction.

The point of saying that was to make those who think he don't have value cause he is signed from 34-38. He does have value and if we were trading Price at the highest value, you would be hearing a higher return demand.

Truth is in the middle but that's hard to find on HF boards in most cases.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What do you believe is fair value for price @50% retention?

I'm not 100% sure and I think fair value is whoever wants to pay the most over the next person. If Price is available at 50% retention, there will be more than one team in on him.

Fair value can be flawed in many cases. Fair value is always set on supply/demand and a guy like Price who gives a cup contender an edge don't come around that often. But of course, Price needs to be healthy.

Think of it this way... First round of talks is at the deadline. Both the Avs and Oilers are in on Price but the Avs are offering much less than the Oilers but the Oilers are offering less than what the Habs prefer. Then the Habs say we will look at moving price in the off season (similar to how we managed Patch). Then it's up to the Oilers to decide if they want Price now for the playoff run or not. Both teams could get screwed over in the end.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who cares about 50% retention with those signing bonuses

Roughly $24 million in SB’s, yuck.

We could trade Price after his next signing bonus of $6.75M this summer. Then when you factor in retention, it's a total of $8.75M of signing bonus spread over 3 more years.

But if a team wants him for this cup run, it's a decision their owner is going to have to approve. Habs are reaching and stretching the most by potentially offering Price at 50% retention. We are going to be paying 50% for a player not on our roster

If any GM feels Price gives their team a chance to win, the owner will have to be open to the signing bonus money. That applies to signing a free agent or retaining your own asset. And we can't forget that with 50% retention and Price's salary being lower than cap hit at the back end, there is savings there

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We could trade Price after his next signing bonus of $6.75M this summer. Then when you factor in retention, it's a total of $8.75M of signing bonus spread over 3 more years.

But if a team wants him for this cup run, it's a decision their owner is going to have to approve. Habs are reaching and stretching the most by potentially offering Price at 50% retention.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wonder about a team being willing to retain for that long and that much cap. I know the Yotes retained on OEL but it was $1million, not $5.25. Are there other long term retention deals with high dollar values? HF love the @50% retained caveat, but truth is those types of deals are typical of rental players with 1 season left on their contracts or much smaller dollar values. If there is a comparable, I would be interested in what the value is for that type of retention.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton send:
Koskinen, 1st, +

Montreal send: Carey Price at 50% retention

Why Edmonton do it:
Because Price would be Edmonton's best goaltender since forever basically and he's an upgrade on Koskinen. A huge upgrade. They lack depth on defense but Price still give them a shot a the Stanley Cup with the two boys of wonders in front. And he still got it, I think it was showed pretty clearly in last playoffs

Why Montreal does it:
We are rebuilding. Price would be wasting his last years here and he deserves a cup, more than any other players in the league right now IMO. And we need assets for the future.

I don't see Holland paying that. Also, Montreal isn't likely to eat 50% of that salary for the rest of the term.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Thoses bonus means nothing against the cap

You just proved my point
Montreal is retaining a whopping $3.5 million of the $31+ million owed
50% retention isnt as appealing as people make it out to be with that contract for 34 year old goaltender with that type of money they are on the hook for, it negates the cap savings for owners.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You just proved my point
Montreal is retaining a whopping $3.5 million of the $31+ million owed
50% retention isnt as appealing as people make it out to be with that contract for 34 year old goaltender with that type of money they are on the hook for, it negates the cap savings for owners.

Montreal most certainly don't give a f*** about those bonuses and while Edmonton isn't a top tier market (Tor/NYR/Mtl), they're not a poor team by any stretch of the imagination and could afford that

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wonder about a team being willing to retain for that long and that much cap. I know the Yotes retained on OEL but it was $1million, not $5.25. Are there other long term retention deals with high dollar values? HF love the @50% retained caveat, but truth is those types of deals are typical of rental players with 1 season left on their contracts or much smaller dollar values. If there is a comparable, I would be interested in what the value is for that type of retention.

It would be a historic move by the Habs but if Molson/Gorton want to truly rebuild, I don't see Price wanting to be part of it at age 34.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who cares about 50% retention with those signing bonuses

Roughly $24 million in SB’s, yuck.
Excellent point.

@mouser If the majority of that contract is payable by yearly signing bonus how does the retention work? Do the Canadiens pay out their share each year? Or does the acquiring team handle that financial responsibility?

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
If Edmonton wants to win the Stanley Cup, the price tag is: Holloway + 1st round pick + Koskinen for Price (50% retention).. Otherwhise, better luck next time.

Might have a better offer with the AVS

Reactions: Habs Halifax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad