Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This was discussed on the Oilers board, but if Weber was included and some LTIR skirting would be possible, meaning that Price becomes a lower cap hit because you have Weber on LTIR ... I think the Oilers would consider it in that case.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not many playoffs team would even take him for free due to his age, contract and health.... just saying...

Not many playoff teams? Well there is 16 playoff teams and not many would be what? 5 or less? I think there are some logical spots.

Age: 34-38. Not ideal but not terrible either. There is a long list of elite level or top end goalies who age well. You don't do what he has done in the last two playoffs (carry the Habs) and then loose that skill all of a sudden.
Contract: $10.5M is horrible but $5.25M is completely different. A game changer to his value in the salary cap
Health: Any trade discussions can't start until he is playing again and back to the Price we know.

The way I see it is this... Lets say Price was a pending UFA and came back early Jan and was effective and also played the Olympics. He's going to get a 3 or 4 year deal at $5.25M and it won't be just one team trying to sign him.

Reality.. just saying

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Don't see a Carey Price trade happening this season. He has not played at all. However I definitely think that if he has a good second half of the season, a contender will be ready to pay good money for a 4/5m retained Carey Price. While this is a stupid contract, the guy lifted the Habs to the SC finals last year and at 5/6m AAV that's definitely not a dumb gamble (once again IF he has a good 2nd half of the season)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't see a Carey Price trade happening this season. He has not played at all. However I definitely think that if he has a good second half of the season, a contender will be ready to pay good money for a 4/5m retained Carey Price. While this is a stupid contract, the guy lifted the Habs to the SC finals last year and at 5/6m AAV that's definitely not a dumb gamble (once again IF he has a good 2nd half of the season)

Unlikely he gets moved this season but lets see how things go with the Habs and Price from now till end of March. This could pick up steam if the Habs are actually willing to retain 50%. If they are, I do see a few teams who are contenders but missing a goalie piece to consider it and then it depends on what the Habs would ask for. I would ask for 3 pieces outside of the NHL (Late 1st, Grade A, and Grade B). I might even add a conditional pick if that team wins a cup.

Fans here on HF boards are out to lunch. Price at 50% for the remaining of that contact will draw a lot of interest. The biggest question is does Molson/Gorton think the same

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Unlikely he gets moved this season but lets see how things go with the Habs and Price from now till end of March. This could pick up steam if the Habs are actually willing to retain 50%. If they are, I do see a few teams who are contenders but missing a goalie piece to consider it and then it depends on what the Habs would ask for. I would ask for 3 pieces outside of the NHL (Late 1st, Grade A, and Grade B). I might even add a conditional pick if that team wins a cup.

Fans here on HF boards are out to lunch. Price at 50% for the remaining of that contact will draw a lot of interest. The biggest question is does Molson/Gorton think the same
At 34 and coming off multiple bad regular season performances he really doesn't.

Reactions: Voight

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At 34 and coming off multiple bad regular season performances he really doesn't.

His performance is tied to the team in front of him. His ability is proven and you put him on a better team and the results come. I stand firm on this but you can go stat watching if you wish.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He was literally offered for free to a team with A complete blank slate.

they went with dreiger and Joey daccord.
He has no value at full pop.

the problem becomes the retention. “If” he wants out to chase a cup. How much are they willing tonhelp? It’s a crazy situation.

Probably a few reasons for why he wasn't picked.

1. Injury/surgery. There was a lot of unknown surrounding that.

2. He's obviously taken a personal leave of absence to start the year for reasons known since. Was Seattle made aware something like that might happen, or that he had a few things to deal with? My guess is, it's very possible

3. Seattle is.....rebuilding? For lack of a better word. Carey Price to a team rebuilding, has no real value. If anything - he'd make them win more games then they want and mess up their draft position. Carey Price to a contender to help push them over the top - that's where it gets interesting. Still risks of course, but that's the better trade target

If Carey Price returns to action in the next ~1-2 weeks...and if he goes on to have a fantastic season (remember he comes off a smythe-worthy playoff run, where he was fantastic) - interest in him will go up a lot. His contract is still very large of course, so it makes any potential trade very complex - but at least interest would be there.

If he comes back and struggles and has a bad season (Habs are playing horrible team/defense right now) - I think interest in him is a lot less.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
His performance is tied to the team in front of him. His ability is proven and you put him on a better team and the results come. I stand firm on this but you can go stat watching if you wish.

But you can say that with any goaltender, so what you are saying is that he is not a difference maker at this point - he's stats over the last 5 years, about 200 games played are almost identical to the stats Allen and Niemi before him put up as his backup over 90 games playing behind the same team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But you can say that with any goaltender, so what you are saying is that he is not a difference maker at this point - he's stats over the last 5 years, about 200 games played are almost identical to the stats Allen and Niemi before him put up as his backup over 90 games playing behind the same team.

Price is not just "any" goalie. He's a game changer in net and you can compare his stats to Allen and Niemi all you want. It don't reflect his true ability and most understand that. A healthy Price would no doubt in my mind give a cup contender a real edge. He's basically uninspired in the regular season cause the Habs are counting on him to save us games over and over again. That can wear on you. Price on a team with a good team D and an actual PP that can score gives him a fresh start and he raises his game. Bookmark it cause I do think Price will be moved at some point. The minute he is traded, the new team changes their outlook on him overnight... especially the fan base.

Do you think team Canada says no to a healthy Price cause they are comparing his stats to Allen and Niemi? Think about it

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
The possible landing spot for Price would be really small - it has to be a team that has a win now at all cost mentality that believes Price could be a difference maker - outside of that there are just too many better options out there... Price is not going to be anyone's long term solution, best case scenario you get 2 more productive years out of him... 40 years of data suggests investing in goalies 34 and older is unwise - don't get me wrong we are seeing the return of the golden age of older goalies. This year 10 out of the 82 goalies to see any ice time are 34 or older, 4 of those having played at least 10 games. As recently as 2015/16 only 6 out of 92 netminder to play any ice time were older than 33 and 3 of those 6 combined started only 3 games and appeared in only 7. So that year only 3 goalies over 33 played any substantial minutes, Anderson Miller, Luongo. The year before that only Miller and Luongo played over 40 games being older than 33.

If you felt your team could win now and wanted an upgrade in net - why not wait and see what Dallas is going to do with their 4 NHL quality goalies - if you want to take a chance on an older goalie coming off a injury, Bishop would cost you maybe a few million and he's track record recently has been much better.

GMs are starting to realize paying goalies is like paying running backs, in the long run it is going to come back to haunt you. Bishop was a Vezina finalist as recently as 18/19, for his third time, and had a .920 SV% in 19/20 and after all that, the best move for Dallas may be to just release him if they can't trade him.

Reactions: bernmeister

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
If he's healed and 50% retained?? I don't see how the oilers don't do this.. we are paying koskinen 4.5 million... another 750k isn't that big of deal lol

Reactions: Habs Halifax

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

I don't think he'll get you that. If that's your ask, a GM will think if they're giving up all of that, they'll think they should be doing it with a younger goalie and one with a better contract.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think if Price looks good at the Olympics, maybe even in just one game at that level, interest will suddenly start increasing from a handful of teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think he'll get you that. If that's your ask, a GM will think if they're giving up all of that, they'll think they should be doing it with a younger goalie and one with a better contract.

I think that's a fair price considering the retention and cap dumps we are absorbing and also providing a goalie who can win a cup for a contender. Habs retaining that amount and taking back cap dumps would be historic cause we don't really have anything to compare too.

If you think you can get a younger goalie with equal potential and on a better contract to go on cup runs for that price, all the power to you! Good luck, it's what the Avs and Oilers have been doing for a while now in case you didn't notice.

Avs even with Grubauer didn't go on a deep run. Oilers thought they had their man with Koskinen? If you think this is the solution for a cup contender, go right ahead and keep trying.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think that's a fair price considering the retention and cap dumps we are absorbing and also providing a goalie who can win a cup for a contender. Habs retaining that amount and taking back cap dumps would be historic cause we don't really have anything to compare too.

If you think you can get a younger goalie with equal potential and on a better contract to go on cup runs for that price, all the power to you! Good luck, it's what the Avs and Oilers have been doing for a while now in case you didn't notice.

I think there's an acceptance with a lot of GMs that there's a large degree of randomness to goalies becoming "hot" during the playoffs. It's not like you can promise that Price will perform well in this years playoffs. And we're also overlooking the issue of him possibly having a sharp decline this year or next year.

I'm more open to the idea of Price than a lot of Avs fans but it's too much risk to give up what you're asking.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This was discussed on the Oilers board, but if Weber was included and some LTIR skirting would be possible, meaning that Price becomes a lower cap hit because you have Weber on LTIR ... I think the Oilers would consider it in that case.

It doesn't work that way. Acquiring Weber doesn't free up any cap space.

Reactions: HabsQC

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My guess is Vegas. Yes... Vegas. They are always very aggressive on getting top players to compete now and they might be willing to sacrifice other salaries to make it work. (Also considering the habs would have to take a portion of his salary).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think there's an acceptance with a lot of GMs that there's a large degree of randomness to goalies becoming "hot" during the playoffs. It's not like you can promise that Price will perform well in this years playoffs. And we're also overlooking the issue of him possibly having a sharp decline this year or next year.

I'm more open to the idea of Price than a lot of Avs fans but it's too much risk to give up what you're asking.

There are zero sigs of Price not being able to step up in the playoffs. His numbers are off the charts in high pressure games. And this with Price on the Habs with several flaws in the roster for his entire time with the Habs. His last few regular season numbers to me are more about him being tired to be expected to carry the team over and over again. It can wear on you.

This will be another Roy situation IMO. May or may not be another cup but go look at Roy's regular season numbers in 94/95 and 95/96. Barely above .900 Sv% and GAA average close to 3.

Habs retaining and willing to take back 1/2 cap dumps is opportunity for a cup contender looking for a goalie who can give you an edge and team confidence

Reactions: staubitz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he's healed and 50% retained?? I don't see how the oilers don't do this.. we are paying koskinen 4.5 million... another 750k isn't that big of deal lol

This is exactly what the Habs are saying but some of your fellow Oilers fans think Price is not worth it. As a Habs fan who will not see playoffs for a few years, I would love to cheer for McDavid, Drai, and Price chasing a cup. And this is not propaganda where I want to steal your youth either. But I do want a fair return and something the Oilers can afford to spare.

Some fans are guilty of Price HF board culture devalue BS. Price available at 50% is a game changer (if true).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad