Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Habs accept Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), 2022 1st, 2022 3rd [Part III]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Not if they don't qualify him at 6M...

As many people mentioned. KK has already an agreement to sign a medium term (bridge) contract at more reasonable salary that reflects his production. The way he is starting with them, should not be more that 3-3,5 M $ per season. Maybe, he will surprised us and have a real great season and Playoffs. and earn 6 + more M $ starting next season.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Lost in all this. Dvorak doesn’t look very good in Montreal. He’s been a disappointing 2C so far.

hard to see the upgrade from KK to Dvorak. Looks lateral at best.

There was no reason at all to get Dvorak.

The Canes screwed up by overpaying for Kotaniemi, and then Bergevin, instead of laughing this off with the tasty pick and a tanking offered on a platter, decided to invest a first rounder for a complementary player when it was clear as day our lineup needs a complete reconstruction.

Amateurish stuff from both teams, with a lot of fans taunting and cheering when they barely understand what is going on.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah, I mean there's only so much that the point total will tell you. We've generally been a team where guys struggle to really start lighting it up right away once they get here, but given time to gel they explode. That said, when it comes to him its really about his role, and he's filling some big areas of need for us. His ability to screen the goalie is really helping out whatever line is on the ice with him, even if he's not getting the points for it.

At this point, I'd say he's been a decent net positive for us. Not exploding on the scene, but generally makes us better with him than without. Definitely a piece we'll probably want to keep around going forward if he's willing to extend at something reasonable (around $3.5m aav)
Canes fans are telling you the same things about KK. So I guess both KK are Dvorak are doing well with their news teams.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
As many people mentioned. KK has already an agreement to sign a medium term (bridge) contract at more reasonable salary that reflects his production. The way he is starting with them, should not be more that 3-3,5 M $ per season. Maybe, he will surprised us and have a real great season and Playoffs. and earn 6 + more M $ starting next season.

The fact that we're still speculating on how much he will ask or be offered means that this "deal" doesn't exist. The Canes fan above saying his points this seasons are meaningless supports this as well. Judging by his current icetime KK is being brought along very slowly, so why would he tie himself to this season's (or half-season if signs in january as has been speculated) point total.

This theory makes no sense. I'm sure both parties would like him to sign long-term but it obviously isn't in either the team ok KK's best interests to do this quickly. And the closer KK gets to july 1st the less leverage the Canes have to sign him.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I still think Carolina would have been better off keeping that first in their back pocket to address a position of need at or near the TDL rather than wasting it on this stunt.

Glad I don't have to read about kks struggles being the fault of the team/ coach on the Habs board anymore, it would have been unbearable this season.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

The Canes screwed up by overpaying for Kotaniemi, and then Bergevin, instead of laughing this off with the tasty pick and a tanking offered on a platter, decided to invest a first rounder for a complementary player when it was clear as day our lineup needs a complete reconstruction.

Amateurish stuff from both teams, with a lot of fans taunting and cheering when they barely understand what is going on.
I think the Dvorak trade could be reversible, teams in need at the tdl have paid more for less, especially with his contract being fairly decent.

That said, win or lose we still need an nhler to play 2c.

Reactions: BarracudaMtl

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
No one is paying him six. He wont get anything out of trying to hold them to it. Not a lot of teams could offer him a better situation than the Canes so him going UFA isnt exactly scary.
It would be really surprising to see a 22 year old NHLer turn down an opportunity to become a UFA 4 years early. Especially one that signed a RFA offer sheet. Why do so many feel certain a lower cost bridge deal will happen? Any evidence pointing to it? (genuinely curious)

Jul 6, 2016
It would be really surprising to see a 22 year old NHLer turn down an opportunity to become a UFA 4 years early. Especially one that signed a RFA offer sheet. Why do so many feel certain a lower cost bridge deal will happen? Any evidence pointing to it? (genuinely curious)

If KK has his usual 30 points season or less, he won't be able to get more than 2-3 M $ on the open market anyway.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
If KK has his usual 30 points season or less, he won't be able to get more than 2-3 M $ on the open market anyway.
That could be. Any evidence that he wouldn't test the market to find out or has any more loyalty to the Canes than he did the Habs?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That could be. Any evidence that he wouldn't test the market to find out or has any more loyalty to the Canes than he did the Habs?

Well it had been posted in this thread numerous times but at the time of the offer sheet it was reported by Friedman and George Laraque that Canes and KK likely have a mid term extension agreed upon in the $3-4AAV range.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The team is doing great with an amazing start. That being said, Kotkaniemi ain't living up to the $6.1M that is for sure, nowhere close. He is lucky the team is doing so well, it deflects from the criticism he would get had they had say a .500 start or there about.

Reactions: WaW

Gaud

May 11, 2017
loyalty has a price; see who keeps theirs when they are offered 2 or 3 times what others are offering.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

This is probably the most sensible take in this thread, at least from any MTL or CAR fan.

I'm always willing to admit when I was wrong, and boy, at least early on, I was off the mark on Dvorak. It's still early of course, but there was plenty of reason to believe Dvorak would excel in a 2C role not having to play top pairs all the time like he had to on a very bad Coyotes team. Still might turn around but it's not looking great so far.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I still think Carolina would have been better off keeping that first in their back pocket to address a position of need at or near the TDL rather than wasting it on this stunt.

Glad I don't have to read about kks struggles being the fault of the team/ coach on the Habs board anymore, it would have been unbearable this season.
Yep, Canes are clearly struggling this season and have absolutely no trade pieces to address needs they may have at TDL (only 33 prospects drafted the last 3 seasons)
The team is doing great with an amazing start. That being said, Kotkaniemi ain't living up to the $6.1M that is for sure, nowhere close. He is lucky the team is doing so well, it deflects from the criticism he would get had they had say a .500 start or there about.
He's been a sizeable part of that as well, so...weird flex but ok? Even when not on the scoresheet he's made some great plays and been parking in front of the net causing chaos that can lead to goals for the rest of the team. He's not played like a $6M player but he doesn't need to. He's got weaknesses he needs to address but has been a net positive so far. He's looking more comfortable each game

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yep, Canes are clearly struggling this season and have absolutely no trade pieces to address needs they may have at TDL (only 33 prospects drafted the last 3 seasons)

He's been a sizeable part of that as well, so...weird flex but ok? Even when not on the scoresheet he's made some great plays and been parking in front of the net causing chaos that can lead to goals for the rest of the team. He's not played like a $6M player but he doesn't need to. He's got weaknesses he needs to address but has been a net positive so far. He's looking more comfortable each game
Weird flex? You pretty much said the same thing as me...so weird flex back at you. He is being paid $6.1M and is not player anywhere near what someone with the salary should be playing.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I didn't suggest that they were struggling.

If I made $200k a year and had a corvette for the summer and a luxury suv for the winter, it wouldn't be a good use of money to buy a six cylinder mustang even though I could easily afford it.

It would be one of those things where people would question, why the heck did he do that when he could have bought a hot tub for his back yard or go on a nice family vacation with that money instead? Now he's got a third car that he didn't really need.

Until they find out that I only bought the mustang because my brother in law really wanted one and I couldn't let him be happy about it, then the motivations make me sense.

Carolina is very fortunate that they have assets to waste like that, but I still don't think it was a smart decision.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well it had been posted in this thread numerous times but at the time of the offer sheet it was reported by Friedman and George Laraque that Canes and KK likely have a mid term extension agreed upon in the $3-4AAV range.
Honest question, do you think he really fits in with Carolinas long term plans at even say 3.75 x 6? The Canes seem to make logical decisions with respect to production and cap hit, letting players go that they feel are replaceable at a lower hit (Ned, Hamilton, etc).

He's playing minimal minutes, not producing a whole lot, I don't know if Carolina would double down on this move. I could see him going straight to UFA.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Honest question, do you think he really fits in with Carolinas long term plans at even say 3.75 x 6? The Canes seem to make logical decisions with respect to production and cap hit, letting players go that they feel are replaceable at a lower hit (Ned, Hamilton, etc).

He's playing minimal minutes, not producing a whole lot, I don't know if Carolina would double down on this move. I could see him going straight to UFA.

yes, he absolutely fits into long-term plans at that cap hit

the only people complaining about his performance in carolina are habs fans which is really weird

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
yes, he absolutely fits into long-term plans at that cap hit

the only people complaining about his performance in carolina are habs fans which is really weird
Or just maybe Carolina fans are in denial as they need to find a reason to justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad