Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Habs accept Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), 2022 1st, 2022 3rd [Part III]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If KK doesn't take that step forward this year, then there's a good chance the habs wouldn't even have gotten a 1st and a 3rd going forward for him. This could very well be a transaction that the habs end up winning...even more so if they land in the bottom 10 and get to keep their own pick and send Carolina's to Arizona.

Well sure. It's possible. That's part of the risk from the Canes perspective. Obviously at the time though, Bergevin didn't want to trade KK for a 1st and a 3rd so it's a two way street. Canes paid a price they are happy with to get a full year of KK to see how he will fit in to the team and have the ability to extend him in January if that makes sense.

It's 9 games of an 82 game season. A long way to go in seeing how this will turn out and what KK's value will be.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think people are a bit too harsh on Dvorak... Players have tough starts with new teams quite often, and it's usually magnified when the team isn't playing well.

The situation actually reminds me a lot of the time when Duchene went to Ottawa, team that was in a comparable situation to Montreal, high internal expectations that didn't match the on-ice product. Dude didn't have a point in his first 7 games and he was -10 while the team was losing left and right. Second half of the season he was producing and next year he went over PPG for the Sens.

Bottom line is, this trade cannot be judged until some time has passed. For all I know Dvorak turns into a fine 2C for the Habs while Kotkaniemi is just a depth piece for the Canes. First 10 games of the season certainly won't tell us either way.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
And I doubt Carolina would pay that if he were not...
As for last minute yeah but long enough that they tried to trade him from Montreal and got told no..
FWIW that trade discussion could have happened on one phone call.

Reactions: Tryamw

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
This was the beginning of it where Braves makes a joke about trading KK back to MTL for Dvorak who is apparently a huge upgrade... of course he is not which is where the joke comes in.

Then Troll guy basically says that the trade would never happen because KK has no value... or worthless I suppose.

King Puck comes in and mentions that Dvorak was -5 last night and is also worthless so a deal could in fact be reached by trading two worthless non-assets for each other.

Then Troll guy says he doesn't know about Dvorak's -5 as he doesn't watch the Habs anymore due to them being terrible and in contention for top joke franchise in the NHL. Confirms that KK and Dvorak are both worthless and maybe Carolina would want Dvorak as they could convert him from C to Wing just for fun... so maybe that trade idea IS back on.

Also, makes a comment about Oilers being a winning team and having the two best players.

I didn't put in my quote but this is where I allude to the fact that Carolina is the best team in the league and we know something about winning. Seeing all the talk of him calling KK worthless was my motivation for the post.

@BrindAmours Army - there was a lot of talk of Dvorak being useless but also KK. Not specific mentioned the Habs being useless but it was alluded to I suppose. KK in fact, is not useless and so I posted to set the record straight.

good investigative journalism :laugh:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
KK is about 3rd line talent. Probably as a winger more than a center. Canes just did that in dire attempt to get back at Montreal. If they lock him up long term it will be one of worst contracts in their history.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
KK is about 3rd line talent. Probably as a winger more than a center. Canes just did that in dire attempt to get back at Montreal. If they lock him up long term it will be one of worst contracts in their history.
I mean they didn’t attempt to get back at them, they did get back at them lol. Thus the thread.

Reactions: CupInSIX

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'm starting to wonder who is more foolish. The critics who either:
  1. are too lazy to read the Canes rationale behind this move (which has been posted multiple times)
  2. don't have the capacity to understand the Canes rationale behind this move
  3. are so salty about the l'offre hostile that they can't accept that it might actually make sense from a Canes perspective
Or, us Canes fans who keep trying to explain it to critics who either:
  1. are too lazy to read the Canes rationale behind this move (which has been posted multiple times)
  3. are so salty about the l'offre hostile that they can't accept that it might actually make sense from a Canes perspective

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
I'm starting to wonder who is more foolish. The critics who either:
Or, us Canes fans who keep trying to explain it to critics who either:

It is probably Canes fan who buy that rationale at face value and can't accept that it might not actually make sense from a Canes perspective other than revenge for crazyman owner.

Reactions: Laus723

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

holy hyperbole on a good young player that the Habs took 3rd overall.

How salty can you get? Do these statements need to be repeated every other day?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think the offer sheet was well planned by Carolina. They got a player they wanted and had tried to trade for earlier as well as intentionally or unintentionally scaring Montreal about another offer sheet next year. Causing Bergevin to panic and overpay Suzuki to avoid the same thing happening next summer.

So the Canes got a player they wanted and messed up Montreal's cap situation for years with one stroke. That worked out quite nice for Carolina IMO.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Nothing is saying they can't lock him up cheap long term. Even if he hits UFA this summer he's most likely not banking on a major payday.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Dude, would you quit it? This is why people get so f***ing fed up with Habs fans around here. No need to act so childish. Kotkaniemi is gone. Get over it. Stop wasting your time thinking about it.
Blah. You know if kk had 6 goals in his first ten games habs fans would care and Canes fans would let us know about it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Nothing is saying they can't lock him up cheap long term. Even if he hits UFA this summer he's most likely not banking on a major payday.
Hes going through the same issues that bothered him in Montreal, namely getting sat in favor of better players. He's playing on the wing and getting less ice time than he did in Montreal, I would be surprised to see him sign long term under those conditions, and just as surprised to see Carolina even offer him a contract like that.

To save everyone time, last year he averaged 14:48 and this year so far its 12:47.

Reactions: Maliki2

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
Hes going through the same issues that bothered him in Montreal, namely getting sat in favor of better players. He's playing on the wing and getting less ice time than he did in Montreal, I would be surprised to see him sign long term under those conditions, and just as surprised to see Carolina even offer him a contract like that.

To save everyone time, last year he averaged 14:48 and this year so far its 12:47.

He is garbage. Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad