Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Habs accept Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), 2022 1st, 2022 3rd [Part III]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Here's an analogy:

You're looking at the move as if it is a checkers game when in actuality it's a chess game on the part of the Canes front office. So from your flawed perspective of course it doesn't make sense.

The rationale for the move and the potential risks and rewards have been explained several times in this thread. Either you haven't taken the time to read the whole thing or you don't have the capacity to understand the game the Canes are playing.

And yes, there are certainly risks that the move won't work out for the Canes. But given what I've seen so far from the success of The Borg [what we call the Committee that the Canes use in lieu of a traditional GM], I'm fine with the risk/ reward ratio.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
And he's a year older than KK. So Suzuki is able to develop to be better and eventually worth 7.875m by your implication, but KK's development is over obviously. Montreal fans need to get over themselves.

Sounds like you've got some sort of persecution complex. I simply corrected your erroneous post, and nothing more.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
But that doesn't make any sense. It's pretty clear now that Canes tried to trade for Kotkaniemi before the offer sheeting. Had that happened, we'd already be looking at an extension being worked on. When it didn't, it made obvious sense to limit the necessarily overpriced OS to 1 year; you don't need to massage some revenge angle into the term.

(BTW, those aren't the only two options that unfold from this particular OS. And where's the high 1st rounder you mentioned?)

I meant a low first rounder since Carolina should draft between 24-32.

This is like a deadline rental but you’re getting an extra 60 games. If it’s a fit for both sides then they probably work out a long term deal with a smaller cap hit.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
And he's a year older than KK. So Suzuki is able to develop to be better and eventually worth 7.875m by your implication, but KK's development is over obviously. Montreal fans need to get over themselves.

Plenty of Montreal fans support KK and see him as a future great player.

We just left this thread weeks ago.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He's not worth six million but if this offer sheet has done anything, it at least gives Carolina a chance to work on an extension rather than qualifying him

varano

Jun 27, 2013
These sample sizes are so small it's ridiculous to try and draw conclusions from them. Players go quiet for 5-7-10 game stretches....sometimes at the beginning of the season.

FWIW KK is at his career PPG. I suspect he gets better as the season goes on and finishes at 10g/15a or similar.
Wait you're saying he won't get 70 points like canes fans think?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don’t understand why Canes fans would be happy with giving up a first and a third and a $7 mill contract for Kotkaniemi if the expectation is 40 points.

Reactions: TB12 and yada

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I don’t understand why Canes fans would be happy with giving up a first and a third and a $7 mill contract for Kotkaniemi if the expectation is 40 points.

Because Carolina is in their contention window right now, in a division that could realistically have 6-7 teams fighting for a playoff spot, and thus the value of a solid NHL'er over an 82 game season is more than a late round draft pick who is 4-5 years out from contributing to the roster or the possibility that they might get better value than Coco Miami at the deadline.

And this is calculated without assuming Kotkaniemi signs a reasonable extension next year, which means he replaces the FA losses of either Trocheck or Niederreiter.

1sts are overrated on HF, though this was once a prospect webzone so it makes sense.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Because it’s one year at that salary and we don’t expect his ceiling to be 40 points?

Really not that hard to understand

Depends on what contract he gets after this. I’m not a Kotkaniemi guy. Not rooting against him though.

(also, you guys don’t actually have to be jerks when someone makes a comment about your team fyi. The last comment.. just unnecessary. Trying to talk hockey, not measure dicks)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Depends on what contract he gets after this. I’m not a Kotkaniemi guy. Not rooting against him though.

(also, you guys don’t actually have to be jerks when someone makes a comment about your team fyi. The last comment.. just unnecessary. Trying to talk hockey, not measure dicks)
You’re only asking/ digging into the same point of about 50 others who are trying to call the Canes dumb. The same answer has been given.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Because they realized he's not who they thought he was and now they're "playing it cool"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad