Contract Termination: [CAR] F Evgeny Kuznetsov and the Hurricanes mutually terminate contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Why do people think Dundon is broke?

He bought a first round pick (became Jarvis) for 3M$ in real cash (Marleau's buyout). He doesn't care about 1M$, all he cares about is winning

And he spends to cap every year.

Also, he just wrote a bunch a checks on July 1st (presumably) for middle of the lineup and lower players. $1.5 mil for Carrier, $1 mil for Gostisbehere, $1 mil for Walker and $2.75 mil for Chatfield.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Lucky break for the Canes if true.

Was a headscratcher of an acquisition to being with. That guy plays the exact opposite of what that group demands and expects from it's players.
Canes hoping for a resurgence out of WASH and a change of scenery. Definitely worth the risk from an asset perpective, and with the contract termination there don't have any long term negative ramifications.

And would say - I respect Kuz leaving some money on the table to do what's going to make him happy. Would rather have a guy do this than pout and collect his NHL contract.

Reactions: DaveG and Dog

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's a stupid question...

What's to stop any team from doing this with a high-bonus, low-salary player?

Take John Tavares for example, could both the LEafs and he agree to mutually terminate the deal?

Reactions: KovalchukFistPump

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Take John Tavares for example, could both the LEafs and he agree to mutually terminate the deal?

This player wanted to go back to Russia and gave up 6 million dollars to do so. Carolina is not forcing him out. They had enough cap space to sign Jarvis/Necas/Drury with Kuznetsov on the books. What might change, however, is that the Jarvis extension may now be 8 years instead of 2-3.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Can teams buy out a guy under the guise of mutual termination which of course then would not count against the cap at all? Like, both parties would agree to a sum of money to be paid out to the player so they can go away? Of course then the payment would have to be under the table and very secretive. What would the penalties be for something like that?

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Handshake deal during the trade probably. Just needed to finalize his contract with Russia.

Anyone who followed him saw his soul leave the NHL years ago.
When you add it to the party stuff, just seems like a guy who probably isn't willing to do the 'boring' stuff like doing repetitive drills and playing safer hockey. Vrana is the same type and a lot of these guys just aren't willing to change their game and lifestyle once their body starts slowing down even a little bit.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He made a comment or two after the deal that made me think he was so down after last year he was contemplating leaving but he had a positive experience with us so I had hoped he would be in a good place about it.

I think it’s fair to think the Canes knew this was an option when they traded for him. They signed Roslovic when we already had five centers, and of course he plays wing a lot but when we got him it seemed obvious one of our current guys was moving on. Maybe they waited until they knew they had Drury locked up before they made it official, but I’m guessing they knew the whole time Kuzy was headed home. I think he had a great career, and I’m happy for him. I liked him as a player, and I’ll miss the bird. He had personality and I always respected him.

Reactions: DaveG

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Can teams buy out a guy under the guise of mutual termination which of course then would not count against the cap at all? Like, both parties would agree to a sum of money to be paid out to the player so they can go away? Of course then the payment would have to be under the table and very secretive. What would the penalties be for something like that?

Massive. Probably loss of multiple first round draft picks

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This player wanted to go back to Russia and gave up 6 million dollars to do so. Carolina is not forcing him out. They had enough cap space to sign Jarvis/Necas/Drury with Kuznetsov on the books. What might change, however, is that the Jarvis extension may now be 8 years instead of 2-3.

I understand... but take John Tavares as the example.

Let's say he wasn't desparate to be a Leaf. Could he & Toronto not mutually agree to terminate teh deal, and then go and sign for $5m elsewhere?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Would imagine the player would have to not end up playing in the league after the mutual termination otherwise there would be massive penalties.

Reactions: behemolari

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I understand... but take John Tavares as the example.

Let's say he wasn't desparate to be a Leaf. Could he & Toronto not mutually agree to terminate teh deal, and then go and sign for $5m elsewhere?
Not a CBA expert by any stretch, but I don't see why not. Thing is, it's a big risk for the player. They have to know they can get their money somewhere else and unless they have a contract, they don't have a contract. Verbal agreements are only worth the paper they're written on. With a buyout, the player gets their money no matter what comes next--see Skinner.

EDIT: but come to think of it... what's to stop another team from claiming Kuz off waivers and refusing to let him out of his deal?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The penalty is that it's not allowed.

Reactions: behemolari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad