Contract Termination: [CAR] F Evgeny Kuznetsov and the Hurricanes mutually terminate contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Can teams buy out a guy under the guise of mutual termination which of course then would not count against the cap at all? Like, both parties would agree to a sum of money to be paid out to the player so they can go away? Of course then the payment would have to be under the table and very secretive. What would the penalties be for something like that?
IMG_5129.jpeg

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Can teams buy out a guy under the guise of mutual termination which of course then would not count against the cap at all? Like, both parties would agree to a sum of money to be paid out to the player so they can go away? Of course then the payment would have to be under the table and very secretive. What would the penalties be for something like that?
Penalty would be Ottawa losing their 1st round pick. Doesn't matter which team does it.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Depends on the team. Minnesota Wild? Loss of multiple 1st round picks. Chicago Blackhawks? Rewarded with #1 overall pick

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here's a stupid question...

What's to stop any team from doing this with a high-bonus, low-salary player?

Take John Tavares for example, could both the LEafs and he agree to mutually terminate the deal?
Sure, but he’s have to clear waivers so odds are Tavares doesn’t want to risk ending up on a bottom feeder

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Not a CBA expert by any stretch, but I don't see why not. Thing is, it's a big risk for the player. They have to know they can get their money somewhere else and unless they have a contract, they don't have a contract. Verbal agreements are only worth the paper they're written on. With a buyout, the player gets their money no matter what comes next--see Skinner.

EDIT: but come to think of it... what's to stop another team from claiming Kuz off waivers and refusing to let him out of his deal?

Yeah, I look at Tavares as sort of the egregious example here. He'd be "risking" $900k or whatever it is. Obviously he could go and get himself a couple million easily.

I guess the challenge for him would be the possibility that a bottom feeder is willing to give up the $11m in cap space for him.

As for Kuznetsov, I guess the thought is that most teams probably don't want a guy that doesn't even want to be in the league.

Reactions: Calicaps

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
EDIT: but come to think of it... what's to stop another team from claiming Kuz off waivers and refusing to let him out of his deal?
The unclarity it would cause to their cap situation when they would then have to wait and see whether Kuzy reports to the team or defects to Russia.

Reactions: DaveG and Calicaps

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
In theory, a team could screw over WSH by claiming Kuznetsov and not terminating his contract. lol

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You’re not being crazy here. Canes fans braced for this offseason for a long time, to the point that we were already acclimated to the idea of taking a big step back. And we’ve seen this front office let free agents walk for a long time, with things generally turning out ok in the end because there were other acquisitions in the wings. So the fanbase is on a different wavelength than outside observers right now. But yes, this offseason has gone even more poorly than expected, and they have taken some damage that likely can’t be repaired. I’d give it a coin-flip chance whether they get back to serious contention (top 5 team) without having to at least undergo a deep multi-year retool. At the moment, the fanbase in general will push back on that kind of negativity, but it’s kind of hard to get around how many holes are in the lineup now, and how much luck it would take to fill them without using high draft picks OR free agent overpayment.

If it's any consolation, the Capitals took a big step back in 2018. Ended pretty well for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Guy is washed up, man he's sure fallen off a cliff fast. He was once considered a star #1C the year Washington won the cup. He leeched off the success of Ovy and Backstrom.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll give Kuz some credit here. Walking away from at least 6mil maybe 8mil. Generally guys do the mutually termination when they are on contracts close to minimum salary.

Think the last guy I can remember doing this was Berglund who had multiple years left at around 4mil a year or something

I'm also trying to remember who it was that was on mutual termination waivers and was picked up by another team. I feel like my Oilers might've been involved, but I really can't remember. Anyone remember who that was?

Reactions: DaveG

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Potential penalties the commissioner can apply for CBA circumvention include:
- Loss of draft picks
- Forfeiture of games
- Multi-million dollar fines to the team and team executives
- Suspensions of team personnel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad