Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Brett Pesce Agree to new contract (6 years, $4.025M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That's your opinion.

I dont even think it's close to accurate.

He's not a #1 yet. Seth Jones is easily the best of that group and will only increase his gap going forward.

Klefbom is the 2nd best of that group, followed closely by Parayko and Slavin.

Pesce/Dumo are the bottom of that group, but I would agree Pesce is probably the favorable choice going forward. Although Dumolin certainly has more offensive upside simply due to the forwards he'll have the opportunity to play with.

But regardless, my point was all these guys are pretty close in terms of skill and all are within 1.5M of cap space. This 4-5.5M range is the new going rate for good, established young Dmen.

We'll likely see Werenski, Provorov, Chychrun, McAvoy, Hanifin, etc. sign similar contracts in the next couple of years also.

Didn't have it in me to look up all the stats, but Slavin, right now, is a vastly better defensive player. He's got over 50 more blocks than Jones, a significantly better +/-, has a better giveaway to takeaway ratio (+29 to -12). But the most telling stat is that Jones starts in the offensive zone almost 54% of the time as compared to Slavin's 47.4% of the time. Slavin, however, starts in the defensive zone over 52% of the time compared to 46% of the time for Jones. Simply put, Slavin plays against the opponents top lines and top players while Jones is substantially more sheltered on defense. All this while only putting up 8 more points than Slavin. Offense from the back end is nice and all, but right now, Slavin is a better DEFENSEMAN than Jones, AINEC.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Canes GM is so underrated ! You look at their situation on Cap Friendly and they're in really great shape. I just love the way they've gone about building this team.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the Canes do this year. Will Haydn Fleury get a shot in the NHL this year ?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Canes GM is so underrated ! You look at their situation on Cap Friendly and they're in really great shape. I just love the way they've gone about building this team.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the Canes do this year. Will Haydn Fleury get a shot in the NHL this year ?

The current plan is for Fleury to pair with TVR on the 3rd line

Our problem (which is a good problem to have) is that we plan on grooming Bean for one more year in hopes he's ready to go next year. If he is, we won't have a roster spot for him, so something will have to give.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

The cap situation is mostly due to an internal cap set by Karmanos. They're going to need the space though. Lindholm, Aho, Skinner, Faulk, etc. are all likely going to be getting significant pay raises in the near future.

Fleury right now is penciled in on the third defense pairing next to TVR. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and he could **** the bed in training camp, but the spot is his to lose as of now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Really good deal but I don't think this is some wizardry by Francis. There seems to be a lot of discounted 2nd contracts being handed out to good young Dmen outside of Ekblad.
With that said, Carolina is definitely on the right track. Really need that high end forward though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Really good deal but I don't think this is some wizardry by Francis. There seems to be a lot of discounted 2nd contracts being handed out to good young Dmen outside of Ekblad.
With that said, Carolina is definitely on the right track. Really need that high end forward though.

The wizardry is that Francis locked both up long-term at current market rates with one ELC year left.

If Francis had waited another year and Slavin-Pesce put up another year as one of the most effective top-pairings in the league (in the Metro no-less) then Slavin would be looking at an Ekbald $7+ million extension and Pesce would be closer to $5 million.

It's low-risk, high reward move. For Slavin and Pesce, consider that both of these guys should have been graduating College this year. Instead, each was just guaranteed $20+ million and a long-term home. As recent mid round picks, that's a pretty enticing swing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The wizardry is that Francis locked both up long-term at current market rates with one ELC year left.

If Francis had waited another year and Slavin-Pesce put up another year as one of the most effective top-pairings in the league (in the Metro no-less) then Slavin would be looking at an Ekbald $7+ million extension and Pesce would be closer to $5 million.

It's low-risk, high reward move. For Slavin and Pesce, consider that both of these guys should have been graduating College this year. Instead, each was just guaranteed $20+ million and a long-term home. As recent mid round picks, that's a pretty enticing swing.

Absolutely. Chiarelli did the same with Klefbom and the Devils with Larsson which has benefited the Oilers. It's a great feeling as a fan to have the top pairing locked up at such a cheap rate for the next half decade.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Carolina is looking like the scariest up and comer in the east to me after the Slavin/Pesce deals. My goodness.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
That means they're likely going to have

Faulk: 4.833 million X 3 years
Slavin: 5.3 million X 7 years
Pesce: 4.025 million X 6 years
Hanifin: ~4-6 million X x years

18-20 million dollars for a stellar top 4 all at 25 years or younger for long-term? Crazy good.

Holland pay attention that is how to sign proper contracts. Just for a little perspective:

Green 6 million
Dekeyser 5 million
Knonwall 4.75 million
Ericsson 4.25 million

That's right folks Detroit has 20 million locked in that. Well done Carolina.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Carolina is looking like the scariest up and comer in the east to me after the Slavin/Pesce deals. My goodness.

there is some great cap deals there, but it doesn't make them scary unless they can find an elite player to give all that extra cap space to

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
there is some great cap deals there, but it doesn't make them scary unless they can find an elite player to give all that extra cap space to

These deals mean they can sign their core without problems, not running into cap hell is a great thing when you're building.

They could have the best defense in the league soon and their 1st pair is now locked up for 7 years, Faulk for 3 more years.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm going to apologize straight away....but I quite literally have no idea who this guy is....when I saw the values I was totally floored......I'm totally out of touch it seems with some of the other teams. I've never even heard of him before...it seems like he is pretty damn good based on the comments....:help:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Nobody ever calls Skinner elite, but his production is. Coming off a 37 goal, 63 point season. If he was in Toronto or New York putting up those numbers he'd be god. They don't need an elite forward, another 50-60 point 2-way guy should be enough to put them over the top, if that player ever comes available. The rest of the Metro is probably praying they don't end up landing Duchene.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Breaking: 27-year-old Hasek teleports to 2017, signs $3M/8yr deal with Carolina

Yet another win to Francis to realize that you also need to move spatially, because the planet ain't nowhere near the place where it was in 1992.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Pretty much the Dumo deal for the Same type of player. Both great shutdown guys, but Pesce has a little more offense.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

They have young guys with high upside still.

Lindholm is coming into his own. Aho may transition to center soon.

Hanifin still has room to grow.

Bean/Fleury coming up.

Necas in the back burners. Nicolas Roy is an underrated prospect as well.

A lot of assets to swing for said elite talent as well. That's a great setup they have.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm a fan of what the Canes are doing with their team. That defence is top notch with a nice mix of skillsets and they got some nice pieces up front as well. If Darling becomes anything like Cam Talbot, they are set. Perhaps another Oilers/Canes SCF in the future... :nod:

Edit: Holy crap I didn't even know they had Jake Bean as a prospect.. jealous

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
How many franchise defensemen are getting paid $4 million per year?

Besides, he's still got one year left on his elc, this contract kicks in season after next.

roman josi

ekholm and Ellis are 1st pair guys on most teams. ekholm's AAV is 3.75 million and ellis' AAV is 2.5 million. josi, ekholm, and ellis combine for 10.25 million AAV. i like what Carolina is doing with these guys though. following the poile model i guess you could call it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That means they're likely going to have

Faulk: 4.833 million X 3 years
Slavin: 5.3 million X 7 years
Pesce: 4.025 million X 6 years
Hanifin: ~4-6 million X x years

18-20 million dollars for a stellar top 4 all at 25 years or younger for long-term? Crazy good.

Could they pull off a Seth Jones kind of deal and trade Hanifin for a very good forward?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I don't know how Francis is doing this but you keep doing you man. Shine on you crazy diamond.

How do you not know? These players all of very low amount of experience and haven't put up significant points so he's giving them long deals now while at the moment are expensive... In a year or two will be bargain basement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad