Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Brett Pesce Agree to new contract (6 years, $4.025M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
David Poile type contracts, except somehow Ekholm, and Ellis are both making under 4 mil. I have never watched these guys play (Pesce, and Slavin) but I assume their good if their getting that kinda money for long-term.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
David Poile type contracts, except somehow Ekholm, and Ellis are both making under 4 mil. I have never watched these guys play (Pesce, and Slavin) but I assume their good if their getting that kinda money for long-term.

They're pretty good.

Not as good as Ekholm/Ellis though.

Pesce is a little overhyped on HF Boards right now. He's got limited offensive upside and while he's great in his own zone, he really doesn't have any leverage or even deserving to make much more then the contract he just got.

Pretty much signed for market value, as established by the Slavin and Parayko contracts.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They're pretty good.

Not as good as Ekholm/Ellis though.

Pesce is a little overhyped on HF Boards right now. He's got limited offensive upside and while he's great in his own zone, he really doesn't have any leverage or even deserving to make much more then the contract he just got.

Pretty much signed for market value, as established by the Slavin and Parayko contracts.

They create a 1st pair and expect them to create a great 1st pair for the next 7 years at ridiculous cap.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Hanifin isn't nearly as good as either Pesce or Slavin right now. He's 2 years behind their development, but it was clear that Pesce was carrying the weight when Hanifin-Pesce played together at the end of last year.

Hanifin will first get a bridge and then his $5+ million long-term deal coming out of his 2nd contract. Canes can afford to wait to see what he becomes as they have a ton of cost-controlled options.

Is he on track or is their concern for Hanifin???

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Carolina is my "team to watch" for the next 3-5 years. They are eventually going to be that team you don't want to see as your opposition in the playoffs.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Not really concern as much as he's just looking like the Hedman development path where the breakout doesn't happen until the second contact.

Well plus getting a steady defensive partner will help him now. Last season it seemed like he was usually partnered with one of Dahlbeck, Murphy, or Tennyson.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They create a 1st pair and expect them to create a great 1st pair for the next 7 years at ridiculous cap.

It's not ridiculous cap though.

It's very much in line with the other contracts offered to Dmen of similar caliber recently.

It's the going rate for good young Dmen right now. Dumolin, Slavin, Parayko, Seth Jones, Ghostisbere, Ristolainen, Klefbom, Larsson, etc.

All fairly similar level Dmen with the worst of them being a great #3, and the best is probably a legit #1, but in essence they're all close. And all are paid between 4.0M and 5.5M for contracts they've all signed in the last couple of years.

It's market value. Great job to Francis for not overpaying, but he didn't get him on a steal of a deal either. Signed exactly in the range of what he should be signed. On both accounts really(Slavin and Pesce).

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Not really concern as much as he's just looking like the Hedman development path where the breakout doesn't happen until the second contact.

That's a big comparison but simply development-wise I see it. Don't ever see Hanifin as a Norris finalist tho

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Good for them. I have always like the Canes organization. Really classy throughout their history.

As an Oiler I got to see up close and personal a classy team beat us for the Stanley cup and came away with a lot of repsect for that franchise and its fans. I am happy to see them building a contender with home grown Management like Francis. It kind of like what the Oilers tried to do with their Alumni's but Carolina's is working.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's not ridiculous cap though.

It's very much in line with the other contracts offered to Dmen of similar caliber recently.

It's the going rate for good young Dmen right now. Dumolin, Slavin, Parayko, Seth Jones, Ghostisbere, Ristolainen, Klefbom, Larsson, etc.

All fairly similar level Dmen with the worst of them being a great #3, and the best is probably a legit #1, but in essence they're all close. And all are paid between 4.0M and 5.5M for contracts they've all signed in the last couple of years.

It's market value. Great job to Francis for not overpaying, but he didn't get him on a steal of a deal either. Signed exactly in the range of what he should be signed. On both accounts really(Slavin and Pesce).

Slavin is the best ouf of these, these won't start for another year and they got the extra year for Slavin.
I as well would take Pesce over Dumo going forward.

Now they have their 1st pair locked up for 7 years at the lowest numbers possible, that is a great job.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Slavin is the best ouf of these, these won't start for another year and they got the extra year for Slavin.
I as well would take Pesce over Dumo going forward.

That's your opinion.

I dont even think it's close to accurate.

He's not a #1 yet. Seth Jones is easily the best of that group and will only increase his gap going forward.

Klefbom is the 2nd best of that group, followed closely by Parayko and Slavin.

Pesce/Dumo are the bottom of that group, but I would agree Pesce is probably the favorable choice going forward. Although Dumolin certainly has more offensive upside simply due to the forwards he'll have the opportunity to play with.

But regardless, my point was all these guys are pretty close in terms of skill and all are within 1.5M of cap space. This 4-5.5M range is the new going rate for good, established young Dmen.

We'll likely see Werenski, Provorov, Chychrun, McAvoy, Hanifin, etc. sign similar contracts in the next couple of years also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad