Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Brett Pesce Agree to new contract (6 years, $4.025M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The insane hype about all those young Canes defensemen somehow eludes me.

Don't see how that's a bargain in any way shape or form. Sounds pretty effin' pricey as far as I'm concerned.

Pesce is probably the hardest to understand without watching. Pure shutdown/shot suppression type guy. Probably worth right around $4m right now, so agreed not a steal. But, he's young and I think more than a few of us think some offense still might come (though it'll look awkward).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Don't see how that's a bargain in any way shape or form. Sounds pretty effin' pricey as far as I'm concerned.

well that's just like, your opinion, man

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I could see him wanting a big contract like Slavin and Pesce just got. He's the highest pick of them all and probably wants to be treated like it. But who knows, could want a bridge. It just seems like Francis is pretty good about getting them their money now for cheap.

Hanifin isn't nearly as good as either Pesce or Slavin right now. He's 2 years behind their development, but it was clear that Pesce was carrying the weight when Hanifin-Pesce played together at the end of last year.

Hanifin will first get a bridge and then his $5+ million long-term deal coming out of his 2nd contract. Canes can afford to wait to see what he becomes as they have a ton of cost-controlled options.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man

Edit...lurkerbee beat me to it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not sure he was ever going to break the bank. Not really much offensive upside to put him into the higher paid tier.

He could have done a bridge deal and hoped to cash in in another two or three years, but this is good security for a 22 year old. And he'll be a UFA at age 28.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Pesce is probably the hardest to understand without watching. Pure shutdown/shot suppression type guy. Probably worth right around $4m right now, so agreed not a steal. But, he's young and I think more than a few of us think some offense still might come (though it'll look awkward).

Granted I haven't watched ton of Canes games, much less paid attention specifically to Pesce.

But acting like the guy is a steal at 4M the way some people do is puzzling to me. For a guy with his track-record, I think that's a very good contract to sign from the player's perspective, unless Canes fans feel he has #1 franchise D upside or something.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't know how Francis is doing this but you keep doing you man. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Slavin was a 4th round pick 5 years ago, while Pesce was a 3rd round pick 4 years ago, neither guy has that much bargaining leverage as they're still a few years from free agency, and the team, while getting better, hasn't done anything.

The Canes are banking on these guys staying good over the long term, and giving them some decent money on their 2nd contracts, while both of these guys have sort of defied the odds, being 3rd and 4th round picks, and are taking the security today, because who knows if they'll get better, or maybe even hurt their value after next season. They could have down years, the team could miss the playoffs again, who knows what might happen.

So each side is giving and taking a bit, working together, hoping that their particular choices make the team better. Have to wait and see how it plays out.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Granted I haven't watched ton of Canes games, much less paid attention specifically to Pesce.

But acting like the guy is a steal at 4M the way some people do is puzzling to me. For a guy with his track-record, I think that's a very good contract to sign from the player's perspective, unless Canes fans feel he has #1 franchise D upside or something.

Most advanced metric type things have him as a top pairing guy right now (but not a 1D like Slavin). I think that's right around where he is and where he'll end up, top pairing but not necessarily a guy you want as your #1.

And I'm happy paying $4m for that. Not a "steal" like Josi at the same number, but like locking him up for that term at that number.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

How many franchise defensemen are getting paid $4 million per year?

Besides, he's still got one year left on his elc, this contract kicks in season after next.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Take a little time and watch them play and you would see this is a great deal. Can't judge every player from stats alone

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Slavin was a 4th round pick 5 years ago, while Pesce was a 3rd round pick 4 years ago, neither guy has that much bargaining leverage as they're still a few years from free agency, and the team, while getting better, hasn't done anything.

The Canes are banking on these guys staying good over the long term, and giving them some decent money on their 2nd contracts, while both of these guys have sort of defied the odds, being 3rd and 4th round picks, and are taking the security today, because who knows if they'll get better, or maybe even hurt their value after next season. They could have down years, the team could miss the playoffs again, who knows what might happen.

So each side is giving and taking a bit, working together, hoping that their particular choices make the team better. Have to wait and see how it plays out.

Don't mind a negative view of the signings, but "these guys were lower round picks" is a bad reason to have one, IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Carolina being very proactive. Hope the Leafs take a page out of their books and sign Nylander.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He could have done a bridge deal and hoped to cash in in another two or three years, but this is good security for a 22 year old. And he'll be a UFA at age 28.

Pesce has 1 more year left on his ELC. I believe he will be 30 years old when he becomes a UFA (November Birthday).

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW

Pesce is the type of player that if you notice him, he's not doing his job well. His salary is fair imo, as he legit top4. It's the term that I really like. That four mill is going to look better each year. Very pleased with this signing. I'll bet Scott Darling is even moreso.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He's the highest pick of them all and probably wants to be treated like it.

He's also the least accomplished of them all in the NHL. I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.7 to 3 million for him would be more than generous, unless he blows up and has a 40+ point season.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
This seems fair to me. The going rate for the better young dmen the league coming off of their elc's is around 4.5-5.5M AAV with term.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Slavin and Pesce were both +23 on a team that was -21 overall, where the next highest +/- player was a +2. And on top of that, COMBINED they had 32 penalty minutes.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I seriously need to watch the Hurricanes play more because their top 4 D is apparently amazing.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Put it this way, Dumoulin is a very good comparison, and he got 4.1 million except Pesce has a lot more offensive ability than Dumoulin ever has.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Don't mind a negative view of the signings, but "these guys were lower round picks" is a bad reason to have one, IMO.

That's a negative review? If it's not OMG, it's negative? I thought it was pretty down the middle myself. I said it works for both sides.

Anyway, of course name recognition has something to do with it. They're former mid round picks with a little less than 2 seasons worth of games. If they were 1st round picks, you know their agents could use that in contract negotiations. Not that they can't be great players if they're a 4th round pick.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It works out great for the Canes that Slavin and Pesce don't have that draft pedigree, while Hanifin who does have the fancy blue-chip status has not yet performed up to his teammates level so far. Keeps the contracts low for now.

If Slavin had been #5 overall like Hanifin was, OMG, the hype around him would be so much more than it is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad