Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Brett Pesce Agree to new contract (6 years, $4.025M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
So because some 'fans' are ignorant or I'll informed of good players, a team shouldn't sign them to a great long - term deal?

I didn't say anything about it being a good contract or not. Speaking solely to name recognition.

If he was in a market that had legit media coverage, Pesce would be a bigger name. The Raleigh market really sucks at writing anything outside of game & signings recaps. I have to go to Canes bloggers to get decent team coverage outside of a game.

This makes sense. He just isn't a guy I have really heard much about. You guys all seem really happy so I'm sure he's a good player.

You realize that nearly all RFAs have team-controlled rights for 7 years or until they reach the age of 27, correct? When your team signed their 1st round pick, did you say "7 years is a long time to commit to this guy...".

Unless you are saying that the Canes should not exercise their full RFA team-control over a 22 year old who just played a full season on one of the most effective top-pairings in the league? In the hardest division no less? Are you suggesting they should have cut him lose as an RFA? Let someone else deal with the burden of a 22 year old, 6'3", established top-4 RHD?

I guess you can complain here about the 2 UFA years that the Canes bought, but I'm not sure you'd find a lot of support for the idea that locking up young top-4 D past his RFA years is a bad thing.

I think you are being more than a tad defensive here.

Since you typed out so much stuff...Signing a player to an ELC is not making a 7 year commitment. It is literally a three year commitment. Whether the player warrants even a QO after those three years depends on him.

Did you feel that way when Nashville signed Ekholm or Josi to long term deals?

I don't feel any "way". The Josi signing a few years back was a little surprising but just purely by name recognition, he was a bigger name. He also had better offensive numbers.

That's silly. You're basically implying that anyone on Toronto, Montreal, Pitt, Philly, NYR, Chicago, Boston, or Washington is currently more valuable than anyone other than the elite players on other teams because the popularity of those teams means more people know of their players.

No, I didn't imply anything. I was making the exact point that I said. The one poster said "wow 6 years for a guy I never heard of". Someone else said, "lol why tell everyone you're ignorant". To which I noted that 6 years is a long contract for a guy who is not a household name.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Signing literal nobodies to 4M+ contracts (Slavin, and now Pesce)

Just Carolina things, I guess.

They literally have 6'2"/205 lbs and 6'3"/201 lbs bodies, and them being warm wasn't the primary reason for the signing.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

I don't even know what to say to this. Just a completely ridiculous and ignorant post.

Any team would have locked these guys up in similar fashion. They're great young defensemen.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I don't even know what to say to this. Just a completely ridiculous and ignorant post.

Any team would have locked these guys up in similar fashion. They're great young defensemen.

I can't hold it against such posters. Neither Slavin or Pesce is the kind of defensive defenseman who makes a lot of highlight-reel defensive plays (Individually, and as a pair, they're too good for situations requiring such a play to develop more-than-rarely) or are going to get much mention from opposing-team's announcers for what they do.

They're just quietly becoming two of the best defensively-elite defensemen in the league because they combine lunch-pail work-ethic with exceptional combinations of range, skating, hockey IQ and size.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

Look....
These two guys are not brent burns. They are not offensive powerhouses. In fact, quite the opposite. Very stable Defensive guys. They are good, but not elite. But they were a key reason why cam ward only saw about 22-25 shots a night.

If you Canes fans want to say they're locking up their D-core, fine...But don't make these two contracts out to be steals. If you look at the overall market, theres about a 2 million-3 million dollar difference between Dmen that put up offensive numbers, vs plain jane defensive defensemen.

I think the net savings might be about 500K a year because you're overpaying now, and saving a bit towards the end. I don't expect either of these two players to deserve contract renewals higher than 6 million if they become top 30 defensive defencemen in the league so the net savings is very little.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Slavin and Pesce play the most minutes, face the toughest competition, and have far and away the best +/- of any players on the Hurricanes. They're certainly not "nobodies."

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Look..

I think the net savings might be about 500K a year because you're overpaying now, and saving a bit towards the end. I don't expect either of these two players to deserve contract renewals higher than 6 million if they become top 30 defensive defencemen in the league so the net savings is very little.

One of them already is a top 30 defensive defenseman, not even debateabe, probably top 30 overall.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Do people even realize that these contracts for Slavin and Pesce don't even kick in right now? Like they're still on their ELC's next year.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Do people even realize that these contracts for Slavin and Pesce don't even kick in right now? Like they're still on their ELC's next year.

The people who don't even know who they are can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of research before coming into the thread to inform us they don't know who these guys are. I doubt such a fact would be on their radar.

HulkMansfield

Jun 13, 2016
Good deal

Clearly setting about building a new core for the future. It's always a gamble signing long-term so early, but the low cost makes it worth the risk.

Canes' fans should be happy with this one. Slavin and Pesce are a great duo

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Sorry...No.

Slavin-Pesce would be the top-pair on the Leafs, right now, no question. Not knowing who they are doesn't magically make them worse.

Let's take a 100% objective approach. Ron Francis (who has been praised for his GM work thus far) decided that Slavin's closest comparable to pin a salary on would be Seth Jones.

Debate over? Maybe we take Ron Francis's word over someone who appears quite clueless regarding these two players? A guy who just said that the Canes are "Overpaying now" for Slavin-Pesce (hint: Slavin + Pesce make a combined $1.42 million next year and yes that is combined).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Slavin-Pesce would be the top-pair on the Leafs, right now, no question. Not knowing who they are doesn't magically make them worse.

Let's take a 100% objective approach. Ron Francis (who has been praised for his GM work thus far) decided that Slavin's closest comparable to pin a salary on would be Seth Jones.

Debate over? Maybe we take Ron Francis's word over someone who appears quite clueless regarding these two players? A guy who just said that the Canes are "Overpaying now" for Slavin-Pesce (hint: Slavin + Pesce make a combined $1.42 million next year and yes that is combined).

I think they get the max $925k a peesh; the "Performance Bonuses" in CapFriendly very likely are Games Played bonuses instead of the Exhibit 5 ones and they do get paid because they play 10+ games. GP bonuses count against the $925k ELC max bringing the base salary down correspondingly which seems to be the case here.

If either had any actual Schedule A Performance Bonuses, they would be hitting them too with the ice-time alone. They are getting robbed currently.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Go ahead and name 30 defenseman better at defense than Slavin. Please enlighten me.

Better yet: name 3 under the age of 24.

These guys are no-doubt top pairing defensemen and they're both 23 years old. Playing a position where experience most directly benefits performance.

It's cool to call them nobodies now. We can have this discussion again in 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad