Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Garland for panik and a 1st would be great and he would make our team very deep. Id be willing to add a mid round pick and someone like pilon as well

Adding a bunch of middling assets to get one good asset may work in EA NHL games, but is rarely how trades work in reality. If we want Garland, it would take assets that would actually appeal to Arizona. The last "cap steal" of a player that was traded was Blake Coleman, and the Ligthning had to give up a Nolan Foote (their most recent 1st round pick) and another 1st rounder on top of that. The fact that the Coyotes would have to take salary back (Panik) combined with Garland being younger could make him even more expensive. They aren't going to just want a 1st plus a grab bag of random prospects that aren't likely to be much more than NHL tweeners or organizational depth. If they're asking for sweeteners, it's going to be something like Lapierre or Fehervary.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Those seem like players with warts equal to Varna’s that you’re not seeing for any of a few various reasons. The latter two in particular make the Caps middle six so slightly more dependable while losing more of its ability to bust a game open.
More substance please. What am I not seeing in those players that makes trading for them not appealing? Because I've seen them a lot basically from the moment they stepped their foot onto the NHL ice and they exactly what the Caps need. All can score , all can pass especially Miller and Lindholm, all can defend, all can win a faceoff, all dangerous around the net. Vrana basically doesn't have anything of the mentioned except for scoring and even that - only in a regular season. So now.. back to my question.

I don't get the obsession with Garland. Watched the guy numerous times. Definitely can dangle at high speeds and that's about it. No size, no versatility and with price like 1rd pick+ they could do much better. That would be a pretty dumb trade on Maclellan's part.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
You don't sign Chara until after the expansion draft. You don't sign any UFA until after the expansion draft, for that matter.

Personally, my bet is that Chara plays for Boston again next year. His stint with the Capitals becomes a weird trivia fact.

In fantasy hockey you dont.

i think its more likely to get to keep Chara if you sign him at the first chance you get. Seattle dont pick him without his blessing and once other teams can start calling they can be pretty slick on planting ideas why its best to f.e return to Boston.

Theres always going to be unanswered questions when guys dont have their contracts done. For the players, they are risking millions and millions dollars every day that goes by without signing the paperwork. You can fall in the stairs and never play again. For teams its cap management, knowing for sure your numbers, its billion dollar business so you propably want to have your numbers right.

Only guys that should be quite safe are team legends like Ovie, but as we know they are going to secure his contract before ED too. Why not? So we can protect Panik? We actually need to get some contracts out, thats why they signed TvR too.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
You are way to focused on trading every player out of the lineup. Most of the time, the smart play is to keep you own unless they really don’t like him.
Nah, that's not true. I don't like panik and jensen, would have actually let both of them go for free in the offseason. And I don't like Kuznetsov's attitude and Vrana's... basically everything except his speed. I'm trading both of them but I'm not offering a worse or less talented options. All mentioned players have proven themselves on a long distance of their careers and could be nice complementary pieces the Caps need.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Nah, that's not true. I don't like panik and jensen, would have actually let both of them go for free in the offseason. And I don't like Kuznetsov's attitude and Vrana's... basically everything except his speed. I'm trading both of them but I'm not offering a worse or less talented options. All mentioned players have proven themselves on a long distance of their careers and could be nice complementary pieces the Caps need.
You don't watch them every day and don't nitpick them the way you do Vrana. If you did, they would be no different. They're fundamentally not... Rakell, for example, has been outscored by Vrana each of the past two years, has more giveaways, etc. He's not even a better player, just a different one, and the overall theme is that guys like Rakell and Lindholm weren't buried behind Ovechkin the whole time. If Vrana were a Calgary Flame right now you'd probably be pining for him, especially his ability to score at even strength.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Why would Chara want to return to Boston? They made it clear that they didn't want him.

If his family still lives there, and he’s still good friends with half the roster, it’s plausible. But I don’t see Boston deciding after one year they can’t live without him and moving someone off their blue line to give him regular minutes - especially when he could well be in his final year by that point.

The scary thing with Vrana is that he has arbitration rights, and who knows how arbitration cases will get decided during COVID-19. But if they drag their feet on a Vrana deal because their priority is Ovi, we could end up with a very expensive Vrana on only a one or two year contract. Hopefully GMBM gets him on a nice deal either for the short term, or for the next 5 or so.

Only a few years ago we struggled to score 5v5 goals - don’t throw away one of the best 5v5 goal scorers in the league for peanuts because he doesn’t fit the mould of your prototypical Cap. Tom Wilsons don’t grow on trees, and neither do Vranas.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've been disappointed with Dillon as the season goes on. His play seems to have slipped. I wouldn't mind if Seattle takes him off our hands.

One thing I do like is his physical game and we need that presence.

Not sure if others have noticed but one thing he does - usually several times a game - is he will shoot at goal from the left point, WAY too far out and no matter how much traffic is in front of him.
Almost every time he does this the shot comes off a player and the puck gets turned over. He then has to scramble to prevent the player getting past him, which he almost always does but it's such a high risk play and if it fails
it's a breakaway attempt on goal.

I can almost guarantee that Dillon is being coached to do just that. There is no chance that a bright, veteran professional would do something like that several times in game after game with the coaches telling him to stop. His ice time has been consistent at worst. He is 3rd on the team and 2nd on the defense in TOI/g. He is 3rd in evtoi/g on the team. He is just not doing something fundementally stupid, against coaching, repeatedly and getting that much ice time.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Yeah garland for Panik and a 1st is a dream trade for us but come on, Garland is one of Arizona’s only talented, exciting offensive players. You’d be hearing a lot more of him if he played for a Canadian team. He’s a top winger and he would not come cheap. I really don’t get why Arizona would move him out. And if they did, the price is high.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Let's just say that Ovechkin signs for the same AAV (which would be lower than the rumors) at $9.5 million a year. With the flat cap again at $81.5 million (for the next 3-4 years):

IF Vrana gets $6 million AAV, that means we're going to need to find $2.65 in cap space just for that.

Easily doable by moving a Panik ($2.75 mil) or Kempny ($2.5 mil). Moving both would net us $5.25 mil in cap space possibly giving us the space to retain both Vrana and Samsonov if we wish to. Edit: wait, I forgot Kempny is LTIR and not even affecting our current capped out space, so we would need to lose more than that to fit under the cap.

Hopefully Vrana signs for a slightly lower deal like $5.5 mil so that could fit in TvR's new extension.

And honestly, I think TvR's extension means Siegenthaler will be gone this summer.

Will still need to find space for Chara's + Sheary's deals or replacements as they are on 1 year minimum salary deals.

Edit: sorry for the jumbled up written out thoughts. Haven't been feeling well last couple days.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Chara back to Boston? ok. McCarthy is a pretty strict handedness coach and that means Lavy is too. With that in mind TVR signing says more about Schultz and Jensen than Chara or Siegenthaler.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think it’s too soon to speculate on who’s going where with any degree of certainty or predictability. If Dillon headed to Seattle or Chara doesn’t return, Siegenthaler likely finds a spot at 2LD or 3LD. If Schultz is taken, TVR might find a regular spot at 3RD. The ED, along with an uncertain trade and FA picture for the foreseeable, makes it unlikely in my mind GMBM has a clear ‘master plan’ so much as trying to maximise his options.

Edit: @tenken00 feel better soon, buddy

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Garland would be unreal for the Caps. I'd give up our first and any combination of our non-elite prospects in a nanosecond.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Let's just say that Ovechkin signs for the same AAV (which would be lower than the rumors) at $9.5 million a year. With the flat cap again at $81.5 million (for the next 3-4 years):

IF Vrana gets $6 million AAV, that means we're going to need to find $2.65 in cap space just for that.

Easily doable by moving a Panik ($2.75 mil) or Kempny ($2.5 mil). Moving both would net us $5.25 mil in cap space possibly giving us the space to retain both Vrana and Samsonov if we wish to. Edit: wait, I forgot Kempny is LTIR and not even affecting our current capped out space, so we would need to lose more than that to fit under the cap.

Hopefully Vrana signs for a slightly lower deal like $5.5 mil so that could fit in TvR's new extension.

And honestly, I think TvR's extension means Siegenthaler will be gone this summer.

Will still need to find space for Chara's + Sheary's deals or replacements as they are on 1 year minimum salary deals.

Edit: sorry for the jumbled up written out thoughts. Haven't been feeling well last couple days.

I think we would also see a decent player get picked by Seattle (Dillon, Schultz, Oshie) depending on who they expose which would partially address the cap issues.

Reactions: tenken00

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Garland would be unreal for the Caps. I'd give up our first and any combination of our non-elite prospects in a nanosecond.

"This player is really good, I'd give up this pile of long shot prospects in a nanosecond"

Arizona isn't going to accept a deal around Bogdan Trineyev for Garland. If you want Garland, you're going to have to pay.

Reactions: dh99

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Do you consider all of McMichael, Lapierre. alexeyev, Fehervary and protas to be elite?
McMichael, Lapierre, Protas, Fehervary and Alexeyev are all five future NHL players with alot of upside. The question is when would we have a 82 games long regular season to incorporate some of them into the playoff squad? I see McMichael and Fehervary as next season bottom6 and top4 D players for the Caps.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
McMichael was selected 1st and 3rd star of the same last game by AHL professionals. What a singular performance by the Caps prospect!
mcm.jpg

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think we would also see a decent player get picked by Seattle (Dillon, Schultz, Oshie) depending on who they expose which would partially address the cap issues.

At this point, I can't see them not going for one of Samsonov or Vanecek, whichever one you leave open if we leave it up to them. Everyone else is old, or only have a year left on their deal. Or don't have the appeal.

I don't know though, it feels like having to pick one of your children and throwing them to the wolves haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: crab

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
McMichael, Lapierre, Protas, Fehervary and Alexeyev are all five future NHL players with alot of upside. The question is when would we have a 82 games long regular season to incorporate some of them into the playoff squad? I see McMichael and Fehervary as next season bottom6 and top4 D players for the Caps.

Who is leaving to make room for Fehervary to play LD? There are 4 ahead of him

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Some chatter about my favourite trade target for the last five six years might be avaivable once again.. still see him as ideal guy for our third line, really good defensive play and PK and some still unleashed offensive upside aswell.

2nd + Panik for Armia! Would Habs hang up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad