Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That’s what I’m thinking.....why lock up your 7/8 for more than the minimum for 2 years?

maybe they plan on him playing after a spot is vacated?

Lol...watch them move Jensen when he’s on an upswing.....sell before the dips! ;)
We don’t want to see @twabby leave the boards like Maaco did when Chandler was traded.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I wondered if they've gotten indications from Chara that his interest in returning next year is low (either retirement or a desire to explore the open market).
I don’t think so. I think if he and the team can be comfortable w a $$$ number he stays easily. He’s fit like a glove, wants to compete for Cups, and is close to home. Only place he’d leave (Boston again, NYI, NYR, Philly, Pens, Leafs. That’s it, IMO. Slugs and Devils aren’t close and everyone else’s is too far away.

Just my 2 cents

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We don’t want to see @twabby leave the boards like Maaco did when Chandler was traded.

upload_2021-3-21_14-43-1.gif

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Wow. This is really really good. 6/7 D-man who can play up the ladder for under 1m??

I’d say next is Chara - but they won’t want to expose him to the Kraken, and he’s not going to want any part of moving to the PST.

I’m sure they will resign him after the expansion draft for an easy to swallow number. He won’t want to leave, and Caps won’t want him to leave.

just my 2 cents

Praying that Chara gives us another season.

I dont think Seattle takes Chara even if he is unexposed, atleast without talking to him first and getting his ok. Thats a respect thing. You dont take a retiring legend for a expansion team if he doesnt want to come there.

And would they even if Chara ok’d it? Thats one year of value for the fans, but id think theyd rather go with someone who they can see value for more than 1 year.

So if Chara wants another year, i think they can sign him without worrying that much about Seattle. Even the worst case scenario where they would pick Chara wouldnt hurt as that bad.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The biggest question of the offseason is not the defense. It's Vrana. Should they re-sign him? I say no. His contract might become the ultimate anchor that will drag this team to the bottom for good.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I like TVR so I'm good with this. Finding RHD that can skate and aren't a train wreck defensively is tough and the Caps now have four of them. I wonder if they're also planning on losing either Schultz or Jensen to Seattle during the ED, or making a move after the season to free up cap space. Regardless, I don't see any downside here. Hugo Has is the only RHD in the pipeline with potential to play in the NHL and they're not going to do any better for the money than TVR, so all good from my perspective.

Also why would anyone get the idea that Chara isn't enjoying his time here? He's getting literally everything he said he wanted: a meaningful roll, playing every night, and playing for a contender.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
The biggest question of the offseason is not the defense. It's Vrana. Should they re-sign him? I say no. His contract might become the ultimate anchor that will drag this team to the bottom for good.
how much are you expecting vrana to make?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Agree with Roshi. Cap space will be at premium next season. Not protecting Schultz/Jensen or maybe protecting Schultz opens a big opportunity to shed one contract which could be replaced with TVR/ELCplayer.

Dillon and Jensen is value for Kraken. One of them could be easily picked.

Just think about it: protect Schultz and you can get out of one contract now and one next season. Gives some flexibility.

Although! The logjam on the left will become even bigger if Jensen is picked. Moves are coming anyway then.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
North of 5.5 per year. In 6M territory. Caps can spend those money better.

Agreed. For a little bit less money, the Caps can probably find someone who provides a little less goals but a lot more of everything else, including an occasional greasy goal that may translate better to the playoffs.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Agreed. For a little bit less money, the Caps can probably find someone who provides a little less goals but a lot more of everything else, including an occasional greasy goal that may translate better to the playoffs.
If Goals is the only thing Vrana does. Aren't his zone entries also top notch?

this seems like a different version of the conversation about the bottom 6: is a different skillset more valuable than 6 guys who can interchangeably do a job with middling but basically identical results? Is a ceiling worth anything to you, or is consistency key?

I don't think you're replacing Vrana with an equally effective piece at the same cost, I think that's another move likely to remove game-breaking players in favor of bloating the number of safe middle 6 options.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
What would be his market for next year? He just locked up $1.9 million and I doubt he'd get anything more than a 1 year league minimum deal next year. It makes a ton of sense from his POV.

A lot of teams are going to lose a D in the expansion draft and will be seeking someone to round out their top-6. TVR isn't a Taylor Chorney, he's a guy who should expect to be in the lineup more than he has been. Unless one of Schultz or Jensen is moved out, he isn't getting meaningful ice time for the next two years.

Going to market versus signing an extension doesn't seem a huge risk if I'm TVR?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
As for Vrana, he's playing on a 55-60 point rate if this were a full season, with 11 assists to 10 goals so far. He's also looking more and more comfortable on the power play, and is starting to play greater minutes. Notwithstanding his arbitration rights, I just cannot see GMBM moving him without an in-house replacement.

Reactions: Capagonia

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
i dont see any reason why we should move on from vrana unless he is asking for a ridiculous amount of money, which would be like 7M. Replacing him would be pretty hard to do, and for cheaper especially more difficult

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
We are moving on from Vrana now?

The timeline is not right for that. Id figure a 2 year contract, a bit over 5m. Thats when we should be expecting next wave (CMM, Protas, maybe Lapierre) to be ready to be regulars and maybe step up. Should be ok for Vrana too since his just started to get pp minutes. Work two more years for being a regular 25+ goals guy, and head to UFA status with all the cards in your pocket.

Theres no need to rush the decision just yet, Vrana is still RFA for these negotiations and league wide cap/actual cash situation and all the question marks with ED doesnt leave him much room to play hardball. There will be no offer sheets, Caps will have limited cap to use. Its going to be for less than many expects (under 6m). I wouldnt be shocked if its actually less than 5..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
As for Vrana, he's playing on a 55-60 point rate if this were a full season, with 11 assists to 10 goals so far. He's also looking more and more comfortable on the power play, and is starting to play greater minutes. Notwithstanding his arbitration rights, I just cannot see GMBM moving him without an in-house replacement.
His regular season stats mean nothing to some here. Myself included. Vrana either gets the job done this playoffs or should be considered as trade option, at least considered.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Vrana could argue he is at the 25-30 goals per season pace for some time now and those are mostly even strength goals. Can you buy this statline on the market for mere 5M? No.

So if he wants to squeeze Caps he will be able to try. Caps lose if he's overpaid, Caps lose if he's traded (in terms of they dont have another scorer of that ability). Not so great position for GMBM right now.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Vrana could argue he is at the 25-30 goals per season pace for some time now and those are mostly even strength goals. Can you buy this statline on the market for mere 5M? No.

So if he wants to squeeze Caps he will be able to try. Caps lose if he's overpaid, Caps lose if he's traded (in terms of they dont have another scorer of that ability). Not so great position for GMBM right now.
we essentially lose if we do anything besides extend vrana for a reasonable price

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Praying that Chara gives us another season.

I dont think Seattle takes Chara even if he is unexposed, atleast without talking to him first and getting his ok. Thats a respect thing. You dont take a retiring legend for a expansion team if he doesnt want to come there.

And would they even if Chara ok’d it? Thats one year of value for the fans, but id think theyd rather go with someone who they can see value for more than 1 year.

So if Chara wants another year, i think they can sign him without worrying that much about Seattle. Even the worst case scenario where they would pick Chara wouldnt hurt as that bad.

You don't sign Chara until after the expansion draft. You don't sign any UFA until after the expansion draft, for that matter.

Personally, my bet is that Chara plays for Boston again next year. His stint with the Capitals becomes a weird trivia fact.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If Goals is the only thing Vrana does. Aren't his zone entries also top notch?

this seems like a different version of the conversation about the bottom 6: is a different skillset more valuable than 6 guys who can interchangeably do a job with middling but basically identical results? Is a ceiling worth anything to you, or is consistency key?

I don't think you're replacing Vrana with an equally effective piece at the same cost, I think that's another move likely to remove game-breaking players in favor of bloating the number of safe middle 6 options.
That is absolutely doable to replace Vrana with an equally if not the more effective piece for this money. A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y. The question is is Maclellan ready to move on from him or not. Spend some draft picks between the 2nd and 7th rounders, add some redundant prospects and Vrana himself and get a player who can play C position, doesn't lose pucks at enormous rate and scores in the playoffs which Vrana is allergic to. I don't care if the player coming in is 4-5 years older than Vrana. He should just be better at the things I've mentioned and that's enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad