Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Just wanted to pop in here to say -- the fact that the Caps have gone 7-0 without Wilson really should put an end to idiotic speculation about how the team looks better (or worse) without a particular player for a (meaningless) short stretch.

It won't, but it should.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The team’s starting to look different, with a real five man unit emerging shift after shift. D are active in the O-zone and forwards engaged in the D-zone.

I’m also not convinced the goaltending is benefiting from ‘competition’, so much as each guy getting more rest while still playing regularly. This schedule is so compact, and VV carried the burden almost single handledly for way too long, and IS never got a chance to get proper game action and find his groove. Just two goals surrendered in the last three games, against three different teams, is called getting the job done, and VV looked very sharp against a hungry NYR team that can both score goals, and got a number of high danger chances last night. Hoping IS has the same success tonight.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
I know this is never happening, but how do we feel about this package for Barkov?

Kuznetsov + McMichael + 1st

Is it fair? Too much? Too little?

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
I know this is never happening, but how do we feel about this package for Barkov?

I say take away the first and it would be even. Kuz is on the way down and mcmichael is nothing special. But not sure they accept that

Kuz

May 11, 2015

Barkov's value is hard to decide right now aswell. With only one more year before going UFA he could force Florida to trade him to get some value out of him. I would guess Kuznetsov+ would be a quite good choice for them then as they get a replacement 1C.

I doubt he would resign with the Caps as if I where Barkov and could choose freely the Caps looks like a team that has maximum 2-3 more season they can contend unless Ovi, Oshie, Backström and Carlson keeps the level they play on for way longer than expected. An in theory if the Caps did a trade like this it would probably only make them better next season as after that Barkov will probably want 11+ on hi new contract. Im unsure if Barkov is worth 3 million more than Kuz for the Caps who will have a lot of the cap tied up in forwards already to increase that amount.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Barkov ain't getting traded. Like at all. It's an Eichel but on a winning team.
I say take away the first and it would be even. Kuz is on the way down and mcmichael is nothing special. But not sure they accept that
I say the Caps are lucky if the 1st is what gets it done. In that case they should also add a 2nd to the 1st for their generosity, take Barkov and run the f*** away.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Arvidsson is having a down year but what’d the cost be to acquire him maybe? He only makes 4.25 and is signed for a couple more seasons. Panik+Seigenthaler and what else? Cap almost evens out with those two. I think he’d be a good player for the Capitals

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Arvidsson is having a down year but what’d the cost be to acquire him maybe? He only makes 4.25 and is signed for a couple more seasons. Panik+Seigenthaler and what else? Cap almost evens out with those two. I think he’d be a good player for the Capitals
Pointless for the Preds. Siegenthaler is a nobody outside of DC and hasn't even been able to make the lineup this season.Panik is a scrub. Arvidsson might be on a downhill but at least there's a potential he might turn things around at some point considering how well he had been playing until like 2019.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t think the Caps will do anything. I mean literally nothing.

At most....I could see would be a depth signing for a 5C. Or a trade for a vet C that makes the minimum. It’s obvious that when one of the starting 4 goes down, back up plan is Oshie....and that probably isn’t what we want going into the playoffs.

I don’t think they add a G either, as there aren’t any that are worth it. D is also set w 8 deep. Just a vet C in case injury.

edit — this is assuming no big injury (so LTIR use) before the deadline.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, I don't get it, unless they're planning to have at least one less top 6 defenseman next year. But I guess the Caps have their reasons.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I hate to do this since the thread is currently full of riveting Washington Capitals discussion (thank goodness there aren't any charts cluttering up the current discussion about mods and ignore lists), but have some more analytics:

Caps’ Dynamic Duo is Lying in Wait

I might post more in depth in the analytics thread, but the TLDR is: Ovechkin and Kuznetsov have formed a formidable duo this season and one of the best across the entire NHL, albeit with a small sample size. Offensively they have been excellent, and defensively they have more than held their own.

It's reasonable to keep Backstrom and Ovechkin together for now since they are winning, but it was very noticeable how much better the Capitals played against the Islanders once Kuznetsov and Ovechkin were playing together.
From an eye test standpoint I 100% agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad