Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
While I agree that losing Vitek wouldn’t be the end of the world and that the Capitals have been the best team in the NHL at developing goalies for the past 15 years or so, I’m no sure that will hold true going forwards. Namely, they don’t have another goalie in the pipeline being groomed at this point, and some of the key players involved in their goalie drafting and development are now gone. Vitek and Sammy were the first goalies they drafted post-Dave Prior (although Prior’s notes may have still been used in the 2014 draft) and also the first to come thru the system after Mitch Korn left. So they were kind of an initial litmus test, albeit with Samsonov being a highly regarded prospect and 1st round pick, the development curve for him is a bit different. It’s yet to be seen if the current goalie regime in Washington’s system can keep up the goalie pipeline.
I somewhat agree. I’d wager Shepard gets an ELC after this season, especially if he has some solid AHL games. Gibson seems to be decently regarded as a prospect going forward as well.

I just think losing Vitek would be somewhat of the best case scenario over the likes of a Dillon, Jensen, Eller, etc. Plus it gives him a great opportunity to get out from Sammy’s shadow. Samsonov’s always going to have a larger chain given his pedigree as a 1st rounder

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Well sure but they're not moving the LD they JUST signed to a nifty 4 year contract either. His play hasn't been bad, its been what they expected when they asked him to stay for four more years.

BiPolar nailed it. This is NOT the year to make any trades. Tinkering just to tinker is not a great strategy.
yep. hence the if. hopefully we do nothing overly dramatic

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I've read Seattle forum and asked them directly. They feel like they will take the best availible from: Samsonov>Vanacek>Oshie

They think Samsonov will be protected. In this scenario most of them choose Vitek. Some of them like Oshie but say that they will ask some "sweetener" for taking him in predraft negociations.

Should we trade Vanacek before draft or give picks to Seattle to keep him? He is the target.

I consider Eller a better pick for Seattle. And I know you love the idea of him being gone!

I don’t know why we’re always talking about Oshie. He’s older, more expensive and plays wing.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I think Vitek would be expendable, we have to lose somebody. Id like to get rid of someone with a higher cap hit, but salary can probably be addressed outside of the expansion draft

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I consider Eller a better pick for Seattle. And I know you love the idea of him being gone!

I don’t know why we’re always talking about Oshie. He’s older, more expensive and plays wing.

I think it's because he's from the Seattle area, so would help a lot from a marketing standpoint. And that he's still a heart and soul guy.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
If this thread is for discussion of players, roster planning, lines, etc., then by definition any information that is legitimately relevant to those topics belongs here. If someone believes that particular "analytics" aren't legitimate or aren't relevant to a particular topic, then engage with them and explain why, and then you'd have grounds for saying they don't belong here.

If certain things are just harder to follow and someone doesn't want to take the time to understand them better, that's just that person's own fault.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If this thread is for discussion of players, roster planning, lines, etc., then by definition any information that is legitimately relevant to those topics belongs here. If someone believes that particular "analytics" aren't legitimate or aren't relevant to a particular topic, then engage with them and explain why, and then you'd have grounds for saying they don't belong here.

If certain things are just harder to follow and someone doesn't want to take the time to understand them better, that's just that person's own fault.

for the billionth time, post properly and you can discuss stats. JFC.

whine and cheese for all!

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

From now on I descide to only read consonants letters. Everyone, plese stop typing vowels, the words are too long, they are impossible to read on my Nokia.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
JFC indeed. Just once it would be nice to have a pleasant discussion around here without people bickering, disagreeing, and snarking at each other. If it's not "this player sucks, trade him" or "this team is ass" or "this coach needs to go", it's "analytics be damned".

It can easily be solved by taking a step back and saying "wow, is my life really so empty that I have to hang around on a hockey fan forum and p*ss and moan about trivial sh*t?"

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This is the final warning. The rule regarding extended analytics is rule #12 of the pinned local rules. It has been in place for 7 years. It does NOT ban stat discussions in any thread.

If you have concerns or questions read it first then contact your mods directly. DO NOT post any more griping in threads. Any further such posts will be considered trolling and will incur warnings.

(And someone needs to tell Francais since s/he's ignored me.... Or maybe don't tell him/her. :laugh:)

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If it's Vitek that's taken in the expansion draft, so be it. Just checking the UFA goalies this coming summer and it's a rather lengthy list, and many are notable names and of course Lundqvist is on that list.

I really would like to see Zdeno and Henrik on the ice together wearing Capitals red.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
People are nuts if they think Samsonov isn’t being protected.

he’s a first round pick and younger. Vitek is killing it - but Samsonov has done his job just fine too - even after a injury, long time off, Covid stuff, short training camp, etc

Main reason Sammy is protected.... upside. Potential. Scouting staff/gm picked this guy. Letting him leave where he could end up a top goalie they won’t do for their own ego/protection.

Vitek is doing great, but at this point he kind of is what he is. Sammy’s upside/potential is enough to be protected - unless he has a god awful year and caps don’t think Seattle will pick him - OR VV goes on a deep playoff run - sammy is not being up for potentially picked.

Even if viteks stats end up a lot better and he gets majority of starts....

Caps aren’t giving up on a 1st round pick goalie who hasn’t lost in regulation this season, still is getting into swing of things, has tons of potential, and still is so new/is still a true rookie.

We judge players way too early on this board. Jensen is turning out great after a ton of games... other players are getting better too. Sammy has played 34 games total so far in the nhl... he’s not going unprotected.

Reactions: koalabear9301

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Just saw a post by Drake on the trade board within a thread concerning a trade proposal involving Edmonton and Washington. Drake suggests that Vanecek has not played enough NHL games to make him eligible for the expansion draft and that it'll be Copley that will be left exposed for the Caps to meet the expansion requirements.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
This is the final warning. The rule regarding extended analytics is rule #12 of the pinned local rules. It has been in place for 7 years. It does NOT ban stat discussions in any thread.

If you have concerns or questions read it first then contact your mods directly. DO NOT post any more griping in threads. Any further such posts will be considered trolling and will incur warnings.

(And someone needs to tell Francais since s/he's ignored me.... Or maybe don't tell him/her. :laugh:)

Wow you can actually put a mod on ignore?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Vitek would be a good pick for Seattle, but I would prefer tossing in a sweetener to get them to take some salary so we have room for Vrana and Ovi and to a lesser extent, Sammy.

That salary could be Dillon/Panik/Hagelin. The sweetener? No idea, a pick? Leason?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Too lazy to look this up -- I know in normal years placing a guy on IR has no affect on the cap -- but given the weirdness of this year can they place Lars on IR retroactively and bring up someone else even though they're against the cap? Or can they create space if they assign someone to the taxi squad, or do they risk losing that person via the waiver wire if they do that? I guess it's not as big a deal right now since Tom is back tomorrow and Oshie can slide to center but if Lars is out for a while it'd be nice to fill his slot. Also no need to rush him back if he's still feeling discomfort in that right leg... would rather him heal and be full go for the stretch run rather than try to gut it out now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People are nuts if they think Samsonov isn’t being protected.

he’s a first round pick and younger. Vitek is killing it - but Samsonov has done his job just fine too - even after a injury, long time off, Covid stuff, short training camp, etc

Main reason Sammy is protected.... upside. Potential. Scouting staff/gm picked this guy. Letting him leave where he could end up a top goalie they won’t do for their own ego/protection.

Vitek is doing great, but at this point he kind of is what he is. Sammy’s upside/potential is enough to be protected - unless he has a god awful year and caps don’t think Seattle will pick him - OR VV goes on a deep playoff run - sammy is not being up for potentially picked.

Even if viteks stats end up a lot better and he gets majority of starts....

Caps aren’t giving up on a 1st round pick goalie who hasn’t lost in regulation this season, still is getting into swing of things, has tons of potential, and still is so new/is still a true rookie.

We judge players way too early on this board. Jensen is turning out great after a ton of games... other players are getting better too. Sammy has played 34 games total so far in the nhl... he’s not going unprotected.

I think you simply highlight that it’s the players mostly.....they’re human just like fans. Performance goes up and down over time. Fan expectations are almost alway high.

It wasn’t too long ago that Sammy had barely played and/or looked bad for a year....or that Jensen was good then benched in a short period of games, only to have this next nice stretch of good play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad