Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I had Goon on ignore for at least a year lol....it’s doable at your own risk of not seeing pubic notices/warnings.

How are mods around here chosen anyway? Not saying all, but some have the power go straight into their heads. Tired of mods closing threads just because they do not agree with what is being said. We have enough censorship everywhere else.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How are mods around here chosen anyway? Not saying all, but some have the power go straight into their heads. Tired of mods closing threads just because they do not agree with what is being said. We have enough censorship everywhere else.

Volunteer.

I’ve been posting here a long time....in my experience, we’re lucky to have had the mods we have had over the years. (Even Goon, nobody defended our Caps borders like he did from invading trolls.)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Its kinda a secret club that only the very brave are selected for. And there is also an initiation process that sorts out the weak of spirit.

RespectfulViciousArmadillo-max-14mb.gif

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Its kinda a secret club that only the very brave are selected for. And there is also an initiation process that sorts out the weak of spirit.

RespectfulViciousArmadillo-max-14mb.gif
Wow, how long have you been waiting for us this gif? How about an actual answer next time? Not everyone has the time to read all rules and regulations and procedures around here.
I just asked. You could have just answered......

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

I think it is just volunteers. It is a thankless job and they put up with a lot of crap.

So, even if I don't agree with a mod's decision, I am willing to cut them a lot of slack.

That being said, there was a Rangers ex-mod who was just awful. He was overtly biased against the Caps and didn't even try to hide it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wow, how long have you been waiting for us this gif? How about an actual answer next time? Not everyone has the time to read all rules and regulations and procedures around here.
You are actually required to read all the rules and regulations, general and local, before posting so this post was perhaps not so well considered. But if you want to not get dinged, that would be a smart first step.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Go read the rules, grumpy!

And what difference does it make how they are chosen? You need to respect their authority.

Reactions: crab

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I hate to do this since the thread is currently full of riveting Washington Capitals discussion (thank goodness there aren't any charts cluttering up the current discussion about mods and ignore lists), but have some more analytics:

Caps’ Dynamic Duo is Lying in Wait

I might post more in depth in the analytics thread, but the TLDR is: Ovechkin and Kuznetsov have formed a formidable duo this season and one of the best across the entire NHL, albeit with a small sample size. Offensively they have been excellent, and defensively they have more than held their own.

It's reasonable to keep Backstrom and Ovechkin together for now since they are winning, but it was very noticeable how much better the Capitals played against the Islanders once Kuznetsov and Ovechkin were playing together.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I assume all of this is ok to divulge and still relevant...

Per the site rules, at the bottom:

"If you are interested in becoming a moderator you can send us a note and explain your situation/interest by emailing [email protected]. No experience is required, but you must be a member for a minimum of six months."

Terms of Service and Rules | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

Everyone is required to read and accept the rules before posting.

Some people volunteer, others are recruited by mods and admins. I was recruited and afaik all our current Caps mods were as well. The number of mods per forum is usually determined by the admins based on traffic. We have several former-mods posting here.

Personal observation: A key element in the poster/mod dynamic that probably contributes to more conflict than anything else is the fact that mods will see and remove posts the rest of us either view only once, or not at all. So mod actions that seem aggressive may lack context since we haven't read every comment. Other times we think mods are doing nothing but we don't backtrack and see what posts were removed, or realize who was threadbanned, etc.

In general it's a part-time volunteer situation and people are so busy probably 80% of the mod activity is going to be based on reports, while overall the focus is on promoting safe and respectful posting and interaction. But at the same time mods are allowed to have opinions and post like everyone else, as long as they respect the rules.

If you have a problem with a mod you can report the post and it will be reviewed by admins. The local mods we have are great and I've never seen anything that would remotely require complaint. I haven't spent much time on the mains recently so can't comment on that.

FWIW

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I hate to do this since the thread is currently full of riveting Washington Capitals discussion (thank goodness there aren't any charts cluttering up the current discussion about mods and ignore lists), but have some more analytics:

Caps’ Dynamic Duo is Lying in Wait

I might post more in depth in the analytics thread, but the TLDR is: Ovechkin and Kuznetsov have formed a formidable duo this season and one of the best across the entire NHL, albeit with a small sample size. Offensively they have been excellent, and defensively they have more than held their own.

It's reasonable to keep Backstrom and Ovechkin together for now since they are winning, but it was very noticeable how much better the Capitals played against the Islanders once Kuznetsov and Ovechkin were playing together.

That is very encouraging that 8 - 92 is above average defensively this year.

Reactions: twabby

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I assume all of this is ok to divulge and still relevant...

Per the site rules, at the bottom:

"If you are interested in becoming a moderator you can send us a note and explain your situation/interest by emailing [email protected]. No experience is required, but you must be a member for a minimum of six months."

Terms of Service and Rules | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

Everyone is required to read and accept the rules before posting.

Some people volunteer, others are recruited by mods and admins. I was recruited and afaik all our current Caps mods were as well. The number of mods per forum is usually determined by the admins based on traffic. We have several former-mods posting here.

Personal observation: A key element in the poster/mod dynamic that probably contributes to more conflict than anything else is the fact that mods will see and remove posts the rest of us either view only once, or not at all. So mod actions that seem aggressive may lack context since we haven't read every comment. Other times we think mods are doing nothing but we don't backtrack and see what posts were removed, or realize who was threadbanned, etc.

In general it's a part-time volunteer situation and people are so busy probably 80% of the mod activity is going to be based on reports, while overall the focus is on promoting safe and respectful posting and interaction. But at the same time mods are allowed to have opinions and post like everyone else, as long as they respect the rules.

If you have a problem with a mod you can report the post and it will be reviewed by admins. The local mods we have are great and I've never seen anything that would remotely require complaint. I haven't spent much time on the mains recently so can't comment on that.

FWIW
Thank you. I do not have a problem with any of the mods on Caps board. I generally dont have a problem with any mods on these boards. There were a few instances where i felt the mods locked the thread as soon as more people started showing up with a different opinion. I get this impression because i saw the same mods post in the same thread willingly yapping their opinions but then lock it few pages later saying that its not hockey related so its locked. Well then why did you post something in this very same thread just a few pages back? Why not lock it then and there and that's it.

Its not really a big deal anyway. Thank for the response

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I think it is just volunteers. It is a thankless job and they put up with a lot of crap.

So, even if I don't agree with a mod's decision, I am willing to cut them a lot of slack.

That being said, there was a Rangers ex-mod who was just awful. He was overtly biased against the Caps and didn't even try to hide it.

hahah I think I know who you are talking about. Did he love McIlrath?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad